The Diesel Stop banner

4R100 Sources

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  blue99stroker 
#1 ·
I search but most of what I found was several years old.

As referenced in my Tranny Temps post (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/transmission-temps-616378/) I may be in need of a new transmission after I finish checking out what I currently have.

My question is what options do I have? Truck is a '00 F250, 2WD, 7.3. It doesn't get driven much (144k in 17 years) but that may change in a couple of years as we are contemplating a Toy Hauler. I do tow some with it now up to about 11k but the heavy weight is only short distances and only 2 or 3 times a year if I need to take my tractor somewhere. All other towing is 6k or less.

I have owned the truck since new and actually special ordered it from Ford. For the first 10 years of life it ran a 100 hp Superchip, 6637 air filter and big truck muffler. Superchip died a few years ago and I replaced it with a PHP Hydra which I run on 60 or 80 hp daily driver mode and either 20 or 40 hp tow mode depending on the load. I do have a complete new 4" turbo back exhaust system sitting in my shop to go on it along with a turbo upgrade to 1.0 housing and billet wheel. These I hope to do soon when I have time to pull the turbo and rebuild it. Also going to change the pedestal and get rid of the EBPV.

So now you know how I use the truck and it's mods. So far I have checked into:

Local Rebuilder with good reputation, tranny rebuild with heavy duty mods, 3 year, 100k warranty, $3k
Ford 4R100HD, installed by Ford, turnkey, 3 year, unlimited mileage, $5700
Your standard "Heavy Duty" rebuilds from Advance and O'Reilly, 3 year, unlimited mileage, $2200 roughly
Monster Transmission (yea, I know), 3 year, 100k, $2200 roughly
Street Smart Transmission (can find nothing on these guys), 3 year, unlimited mileage, $2k

I know all too well about BTS and that's what I would like to have. Haven't contacted them yet but from what I have read, probably in the $6k range

That said, what else is out there? Money is very important, been dealing with back issues for months and about to have surgery in 3 weeks. Lots of medical bills already.

I may have to go with something less expensive with plans to go to a BTS in 3 or so years. If so then the question becomes what's the best of the bad choices.

Thoughts, advice?

Thanks and sorry for the length. I'm an engineer so details are everything to me.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not big on oem style transmission replacement. When I rebuild mine I spend extra money on clutch stage 2 or 3 but you not rebuilding.

But I'll tell you a secret either go to advance or o'reillys where ever you spend most of your money. Open a shop account you don't have to show llc business stuff. Just a name your name and make is a cash account.

Here's the best part then you buy the transmission it might be 100 or 200 less then walk in. But if the transmission goes out you can get labor claim on it and get paid for redoing that job. Now you don't get cash put the credit yiu account for it and you can buy parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
#5 ·
If your keeping it, rather than updating for your toy hauler, buy a BTS. Mine did not cost $6k and I had to get a new case as mine was cracked. I did have the purple torque converter already, still pretty new, so that was $1k off. They have excellent after the sale service and remembered me from years before when we drove all night from Houston on Good Friday and got to the shop as they were opening. We were out before lunch and went to Branson to poke around. If I had not been limping on the 4r100 I would have towed my pontoon boat and cruised Bull Shoals for a few days.

#6 ·
BTS works well

Until recently I towed a 19,000 lb 42 foot toy hauler with a 2000 F-350. I also ran the BTS transmission and had zero problems. My typical towing temp was 165 (I also ran a 6.0 tranny cooler).

I also recommend not doing the valve delete on the turbo. I also had a DP Tuner and one of the tunes turned that valve into an exhaust brake. Pretty handy running cross country.

I had several other mods as well, but the truck handled the load well with the BTS transmission. I highly recommend them. As for distance, our first pull with the BTS was from eastern Ohio to the California coast. Nice way to break it in.

#7 ·
Thanks Dthomas, I am going to contact BTS on Tuesday for a definitive quote.

The valve delete is happening, I put a WD Turbo Brake on mine just after they came out and was never happy with the results. That plus I have been into the pedestal twice for leaks and it's starting to leak again (and it hasn't worked at all in 6 years). If I want an exhaust brake I will install one that mounts in the exhaust system. It may work for some people, but never did for me.

#8 ·
Steer clear of most oem builds.
They just don't last.

Bts should be around 4K.

Sam wyse stage 1 is 3100+ shipping.

Good for 450hp. They have been selling them like crazy

Reactions: BroncoGlenn
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.