The Diesel Stop banner

4R100 Transmission Problem

23K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  garretgetsit99 
#1 ·
Problem just started today while moving a trailer.

Truck would not move in D, engine just revved and felt like it was trying to move.

Moved just fine in 1,2, R

After I parked the trailer I drove down street.
Started in 1 shifted to 2 then D, no issues.
Drove for a mile, stopped placed in P then shifted to D truck moved normal with no issues. Stopped did this a few more times, still no issues, drives fine.

Is my tranny dying?

I've the truck for 6 months, purchased with 262000 now has 271000.
Bought it from used dealer, don't know any history on it.
I changed fluid at 263000

#3 ·
Thanks for the response.

Is that fixable or should I replace the transmission?

I would take it to a shop to fix it but my neighbor has a lift and together we could probably handle replacing it.

I assume towing a 10000 5th wheel 350 miles be a bad idea? I have a trip planned mid May, don't think i'll have the $ to fix it by then.

#19 ·
Thanks for the response.

Is that fixable or should I replace the transmission?

I would take it to a shop to fix it but my neighbor has a lift and together we could probably handle replacing it.

I assume towing a 10000 5th wheel 350 miles be a bad idea? I have a trip planned mid May, don't think i'll have the $ to fix it by then.
Hey! first post here and a lil green behind the ears when it comes to posting on forums. But this thread helped me a lot in a way so I thought i'd try and post my experience for people who were having 4R100 Trans problem

I was actually having the SAME issue... I tried to fix mine with the master rebuild kit as suggested in the thread but that wouldn't work for some reason... I took it to the shop after spending many many hours on it myself, so they gave it a shot. Realized after taking it apart and rebuilding the transmission (JUST LIKE I DID) it still wouldn't work. You HAVE to weigh the pros and cons. I spent the same amount trying to fix it, as it cost to just get a brand new one instead. I just did a little search and found these guys https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=4R100 They sent it out to me w free shipping. I placed the transmission in myself, and she ran like new...

Just a lesson in either spending double or just grabbing that new one. Although im not the biggest fan of working on cars when i dont have to anymore hahaha..

#4 ·
I wouldn't take it on a trip like this. I hate breakdowns far from home.

It's fixable, as.is anything inside the trans. Pull the trans out, buy a master rebuild kit, and rebuild the trans. Or replace it.

#5 · (Edited)
Before you take it to a shop. Climb under the dash and check the two black bolts on the shifter cam. They are prone to coming loose, and the shifter randomly won't engage properly, usually effecting Drive. You will know right away as it will be quite loose. Bit of a Pita to tighten, and put lock tite on if you do, it will come out again. One of the tell tale signs of this is it won't go directly into Drive. If it doesn't and you goto 2 first , then push it up to Drive, it will usually engage. The loose cam stops it from going all the way to drive, and going to 2 first gets it past drive then back, so it makes that little extra to engage. I feel this may be your issue. If not, Marks your man!

#7 ·
I looked under the dash while moving the shifter and didn't see anything loose. Think I tightened that after i bought it because the indicator wasn't aligned

Occasionally something will bind when shifting from P to D and I will have to force the lever

Called 4 shops in town today and was quoted $1800, $2500 and $3200 up to $4200 for replacement at Ford

Kind of confused with the price difference not sure which to choose?

Would the TC have to be replaced as well?

#8 ·
Auto part Engine

This is what Absolute and Mark are talking about tightening.

#12 ·
4R100 issue

Hello all, first time here. I have a 2000 XLT superduty supercab 4x4 deiwel with the famed 4R100 trany. my issue is I lost all drives forward and reverse, so I stopped the truck restarted it and all was fine, until it started to loose drive once again. stop it, restart and it goes again. T alked to service guy at Ford and his thought is trany filter dropped out as filter has pick-up tube for oil to pump. trick is add a quart if works the oil is being picked up by valve body. so is there any truth to that. and has anyone else had an issue like this. please and thank you for all in put's

#13 ·
If the wrong filter was installed it can fall out. There are filters labeled 4x2 and 4x4. All 4R100s in the Superdutys use the 4x4 filter, regardless of whether or not the truck is a 4x4 or not.

Adding another quart might get you going for a short time, but that can cause problems, too. If the filter is the problem the right way to fix it is to install the correct filter. If the pan is removed and the filter is in place, then the filter isn't the problem. The problem is either a mechanical failure inside the trans, or the feed bolts have become loose. These bolts are under the valve body. Remove the valve body and retorque the bolts. Once the valve body is out the bolts are obvious.

#14 ·
4R100

Hello, Mark
it is hard to believe that just tightening 3 bolts will restore power, can you more explain this? are the tolerences so close that if not tight there is a misalignment of holes that pass the oil. also I lost both forward and reverse at the same time. oddly if I turn off the truck and restart it works just fine, for a bit then repeats no forward or reverse. It feels a it is not getting the oil pumped through out the system hence no motion, so the filter is the only pick up for oil to the valve body and further on. and my last trany service was four years ago, being lay'd off means not much travel. Im told there are 8 ball bearings to watch out for that will drop out, so how do you keep them in when doing repair under truck...
when draining the pan how much can I expect to drain in liters as the torque converter must retain some,..large pail, small?
please and thank you for your time and expertise in this matter
plus sorry to maybe steal this thread with my issues somewhat simular

#15 ·
The feed bolts pass pressure from the valve body to the friction elements. If the bolts are loose the pressure leaks out and there isn't enough pressure to apply the clutches.

#16 ·
here some picture that can help you

Attachments

#17 ·
4R100

Hello, Mark
Just a thought, talking among my Bud's one of them suggested an air lock, and under a held rev of 1200 rpm's run through all the gears pausing for 30 second's or so in each gear before moving to the next. Now my Bud's sometimes come up with great answers every now and then,... is this one of them. When he told me his response I didn't know how to respond laugh or take notes. So I thought id ask for your input on the subject.

The discussion started due to the fact I'm waiting on Parts before I drop the pan to check on the filter, and or move on with dropping the valve body and tighten the Feed Bolts as you have suggested may be the smoking gun.

Once again Please and Thank you for your time in this matter and all input is greatly appreciated

I like to hear all possibilities before I lift a wrench

2000 Ford F250 xlt superduty supercab 4x4 diewel 876,000 plus Km's engine still strong Trany having a nap Parry Sound Ontario, Canada

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.