6-speed manual vs. auto transmission - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2006, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6-speed manual vs. auto transmission

Hello Board:

I just purchased a 2000 F250 PSD with the 6-speed manual transmission. I've done some snooping around but couldn't find any direct comparisons between the two. Seems like most trucks around here are automatics.

I've found that they 6-speeds have ~25 more horsepower/torque but that's about it. With my experience from previous manual vehicles I was just assuming it's slightly more reliable (less parts), lighter weight (less parts again), and gets slightly better fuel mileage.

Am I correct in my assumptions?

Thanks!
gtmotor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2006, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 6-speed manual vs. auto transmission

As far as more durable, no doubt. Fuel mileage depends on how you drive it.
2001 F350 CC LB 4x4. GDS Ballbuster turbo, AFE Stage II intake, Banks Intercooler, Suncoast TC, MBRP stainless 4", DI 4 position chip(needs reburn), Autometer gauges, zoodad mod, HX oil line, blow-off valve, DR 4.5" lift, 35" bfg mud terrains.(R.I.P)
332hp and 785tq - 4/1/2006 at Performance Diesel (w/o Banks ic and AFE stage II intake)
2007 Dodge 2500 CC SB 4x4 5.9L picked up (5/01/07)
5" stainless magnaflow, cfm+, quad boost fooler, smarty SR, Silver 62, DTT Billet 48re, AD 165, Spearco CAC, KORE race suspension, 35" terra graps on 18" XD HOSS.
tx_silverstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2006, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)

[ QUOTE ]
With my experience from previous manual vehicles I was just assuming it's

slightly more reliable (less parts) <font color="red"> Possibly, but they do fail. Pilot bearing has reportedly taken out the input shaft gears, and mine died when the OTW cooler failed an mixed coolant with the ATF. But I've heard of a lot more stock auto tranny's failing. </font>

lighter weight (less parts again) <font color="red"> Not necessarily. The ZF-6 is a BEAST, you sure won't be able to bench press it. </font>

and gets slightly better fuel mileage. <font color="red"> Maybe. I think that depends more on your driving style. It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of otherwise identical trucks. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I just like to DIY when it comes to shifting. You are right that there are LOTS more auto than "standard" trannys. More people either don't want to drive a stick, (or can't [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]), and so auto's are what the manufacturer's build. I had to look pretty hard to find mine.

Welcome to TheDieselStop [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

yup.
4 main complaints with 6 speeds.
the clutch puck will randomly toss its springs, meaning you can't get cltuch to disengage. When it goes, switch to southbend or Luk.
pilot bearings get chowed. when you replace the clutch, put a plastic pilot bushing in.

clutch pedal is hard to hold in. luk and southbend fix this.

clutch is a PITA in traffic. Nice on the road, great towing, but suck around town.

If it don't run, chrome it.
drmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

I thought about getting a hand shaker when shopping for a PSD.

I wound up with an auto. The only auto I own.

I love having just 2 pedals! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
LatahF250PSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2006, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

If MPG is important, the 6 speed rules. All else being equal, the 6 speed will get an additional 2 MPG over the automatic.
Evans, 203 degree thermostat, Poor Man's Tymar, 4" Single SS Exhaust, Rugged Air Dam
225-75x16E tires in front 235-85x16Es in back, tires aired up to 100 psi, Lowered 4" in front and 6" in back, "Fastback" bed fairing
21.3 MPG before mods
27.0 MPG tested with mods
Dave Whitmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.