7.3 cuts off while driving - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 cuts off while driving

I have a 2003 Ford Excursion 4X4 Automatic with the 7.3L. On occations while driving my engine will suddenly "cuts off" (it does not sputter, it just shuts of, it almost seems to be electrical cut off. ) When I pull over and put it in park, the engine will start back up. The engine appears to running fine and does not appear to be misfiring.

This event does not happen with any consistency. I may go 4 days w/o any incidents. And when this occurs the engine will shut off once daily and once re-started the Excursion will contine to run great throughout the day.

Thanks in advance for any inputs. RM
mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
7.3 cufoff

I had this problem last summer. Does the truck make white smoke when you restart it? I had to get an upgraded CPS to fix mine. It would skip while driving, then it would cut off and restart, then it just wouldn't start anymore. When the cam sensor fails, it is dangerous too, you loose all steering. I keep a spare in my my glove box with a 1/4 dr 8mm socket and ratchet. It is easy to change. I purchased an International Cam Position Sensor and used it until Ford redesigned the CPS. There is a recall on this item also, check with your dealership. KIRK

2002 Ford Excurion LMT, 124000, Superchip, wicked wheel, many minor engine mods.

Last edited by kbernard; 02-11-2008 at 09:08 PM.
kbernard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Welcome to the site.

CPS (Cam Position Sensor) also called CMP is your most likely cause. There is currently a recall on these parts so check with your Ford dealer about a free replacement. Do you get a check engine light (CEL) after the truck stalls that stays on for a while after the restart? Do any other dash lights flash, stay on, not come on, etc.?

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
F350_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 04:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to txevt
any loss or short of 5volt reference to any input sensor will do the same..just like turning the key off. i've seen may a problem with cmp and ebp sensor...with ebp, exhaust burning thru sensor and melting connector....starts off as very intermit and progressively gets worse.

primarly on e-series
txevt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Kirk and Chris,

Thanks so much for your reply. To be frank with you I haven't noticed any white smoke emitting from the exhaust. Nor have I noticed any lights appear on the dash. (I'm usually too worried where I'm going to pull over to re-start my truck. The truck will usally start right up and I can resume on my path. You're abolutley right the steering getting very tight when the engine cuts of, thus I have prohibited my wife from driving this truck until the problem gets resolved.
I'll call my local Ford deal and inquire about taking my truck in for the recalled CMP. If this solve my dilema, I will be greatly endebted to the two of you. Thanks again for your very valued insight.
Raul Mondragon II
Old 02-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Txevt,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I just called the dealer to take in my truck regarding the recalled sensor. While there, I'll also ask them to check ebs sensor while the truck is in the shop. Thanks for your excellent advice.

Raul Mondragon II
Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

My truck was doing the exact same thing, and after I replaced the cps, it has run perfectly ever since. Now there is a recall; so you should be able to get it done for free at the Ford dealership, although they may try to persuade you that you need lots of other things done while you are in there. I bought the cps for $16 at the Ford dealership before the recall and installed it myself. I had no white smoke. Apparently the thing that makes the diagnosis of cps failure is that the rpm immediately drops to zero as soon as the truck stalls. I wondered how the engine could stop turning so quickly, until I learned that the cps sends the engine rpm to the tachometer; so when it fails, it stops the engine as well as immediately sending zero rpm to the tachometer.
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

CPS is a $15 part, and you can change it yourself in about 10 minutes with one wrench and maybe a screwdriver to help pry it out. It's that easy.

Of course, there IS a recall on them...but be leary of the dealership selling you repairs you don't actually need. Personally, I'd see if they'd give you a CPS free of charge, or at least reimburse you if you brought the old one back. I don't trust a majority of dealership's "troubleshooting" skills...this site is FAR MORE ACCURATE.
1) 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Dark Green, DP Tuner, Autometer gauges, AIS w/ Zoodad, ITP HP/X, Walker BTM, Dahl 100, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat, Billet Tstat Housing, AIH delete, Hellwig swaybar, KYB shocks, Amsoil Bypass / fluids, Hutch Mod
2) 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Chestnut, BTS Tranny, DI 4-Way Chip, AutoMeter CF gauges, AFE intake, Magnaflow 4" turbo back, Wicked Wheel, HP/X Crossover, KYB shocks, Hellwig rear swaybar
3) 99.5 F250 CC SB PSD XLT, 4x2, 3.73 LS, aFe Stage 1 intake, Zoodad mod, 4" turbo back exhaust, Amsoil
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Got CPS written all over it. Just had mine in for the recall. Anyone notice how the new CPS because of the recall is a $20 part when the old ones were $130. Thieves. Hopefully I get my refund even though International did the first replacement last year.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hey Guys,

Again thanks for your valued replys, I took my truck to our local dealership for the CPS replacement recall and they indeed changed it. Fortunately for me, our local dealer did not attempt to extort me for any uneeded additional repairs. Since it was a recall, the repairs cost me nothing! It's been less than 24 hours since the repair's been done, but all seems okay at the moment. I've got my fingers crossed that all will work out. Thanks again to all.

Raul Mondragon II
Old 02-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Glad you got it taken care of. It's hard to beat a free repair. If the CPS ever gives you problems again the part is cheap, just make sure you get a Ford brand, not the auto parts store one. Instructions to change it are here. Welcome to guzzle's CPS R&R Web Page

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
F350_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Cps

Hey Paul, the new CPS works great, I purchased on and intalled it. Ford told me that the new part has had zero failures so far.

Last edited by kbernard; 02-13-2008 at 05:31 PM.
kbernard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

My 2000 F250 7.3 is doing the same thing but I can't get it to start for 10 minutes. I have replaced the CPS twice. Once on my own and once through the dealer recall. The truck has 250000 miles. Since it takes 10 minutes for it to start back instead of the 20 seconds before when I changed out the CPS, could it be something else, like a ground or different sensor? The service engine soon light came on, but went off and is not currently on. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Matt M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbernard View Post
Hey Paul, the new CPS works great, I purchased on and intalled it. Ford told me that the new part has had zero failures so far.
Well I can tell you that's not true, hah! I got a crap one right out of the gate. The Ford man literally had 5-gallon bucket full of them right behind the counter.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.