7.3 liter loud knock ??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 liter loud knock ???

Question- I have a 2000 f-250 with 6speed straight with only 81,000mls on it. I was driving down the highway today and went from 5th gear to 6th at 1500rms around 50mphs and the truck started knocking. I don't know to much about engines but I new something was wrong. I looked back and the whole road was covered in white grayish smoke. I pulled over and shut off motor pop the hood and there was smoke coming from right behind the turbo. I call a tow truck and when the got there he said to check and try to start it nothing motor would not turn on and no oil pressure.

I know the truck is 10yrs old but super low miles would this but the head, turbo, head gasket,?????

Any help or ideas what happened would be great. The truck is babied and was under no stain at this time.

Checked the oil and it looks okay, water was full and no leaks. The tail pipe is as dry as can be.

This is the first diesel I have owned,but it sounded like a rod thrown in a gas motor when this happened.
moms1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Engine oil is full? A bad or starved injector can knock like a rod. If the fuel level is full, I'd be checking the injectors, but that shouldn't cause smoke from near the turbo. A bad turbo will throw a white smoke screen that would make James Bond proud, but won't knock and will use tons of oil.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
F350_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350_6 View Post
Engine oil is full? A bad or starved injector can knock like a rod. If the fuel level is full, I'd be checking the injectors, but that shouldn't cause smoke from near the turbo. A bad turbo will throw a white smoke screen that would make James Bond proud, but won't knock and will use tons of oil.

Yes engine oil is full. I can see oil on the back of motor and transmission when i crawl under truck but can not make out the source it looks like rear-main seal?

The white smoke was as you said the cars behind me stop blinded there view.

The knock was very loud it made me think the motor was coming though the firewall.
I had no temp gauge or warning lights showing anything.
I had been driving for about 45min to hour at 45- 55mph.

The truck will not turn over now and when turn the key on all gauges move but the oil pressure.

What would cause the turbo or an internal break down like this happen?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I bet you cracked an injector tip - it will dump fuel and make it knock like crazy and dump smoke. Check out this video:

YouTube - greysmoke.MOV

This can also hydrolock the engine if the fuel continues to dump into the cylinder - that may be why it wouldn't turn over after you let it sit.

Also - the rear main seal almost never goes out on these trucks - there is a hole in the back of the valley that drains out the back - any leak from the top will drip down the back - looks like its coming from the rear main - but its not.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

Last edited by RT; 03-08-2010 at 10:29 PM.
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

If engine oil is full then it may be fuel seeping through the manifold someplace. Lots of white greyish smoke is from a gross over rich mixture in at least one cylinder.

Lets me ask you something, does it look like this?

YouTube - Blowing Grey smoke
2001 PSD 7.3 auto DP Tuner, 4" TBE, KNN Intake (with filter charger), CCV Mod, DB Starter, Stancore GPR, ITP Overboost, John Wood installed valve body. External coolant filter. International Up Pipes.

1994 RAM 4x4 Cummins KNN, 3GSK, AFC Spring, #10 Plate, BD Valve Body, KDP, SCHWITZER S300 turbo 4" TBE.
jroller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray8165 View Post
I bet you cracked an injector tip - it will dump fuel and make it knock like crazy and dump smoke. Check out this video:

YouTube - greysmoke.MOV

This can also hydrolock the engine if the fuel continues to dump into the cylinder - that may be why it wouldn't turn over after you let it sit.

Wow this dude posted my video before I could.
2001 PSD 7.3 auto DP Tuner, 4" TBE, KNN Intake (with filter charger), CCV Mod, DB Starter, Stancore GPR, ITP Overboost, John Wood installed valve body. External coolant filter. International Up Pipes.

1994 RAM 4x4 Cummins KNN, 3GSK, AFC Spring, #10 Plate, BD Valve Body, KDP, SCHWITZER S300 turbo 4" TBE.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroller View Post
Wow this dude posted my video before I could.
It was a really good video! And it's about the 13th time its answered someone's question. Thanks for putting it up for all of us.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
Old 03-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

the video is it i think mine was just a little louder but that could just be video sound

dray8165- jroller Is this video one of your trucks? If it is this injector is that something I can fix and ball park price?

someone else told me about the drain in the valley I can't see them but I can feel one but not the passage side one I bet this is it but what does this drain do and would it cause this problem in the video?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
RT

The video is jroller's - not mine. But I thought it was a great demonstration. The valley is the V shape in the top of the motor. Any of the components that sit on the top of the motor will drain into the valley if they develop a leak. Suspects are the high pressure oil pump fittings (HPOP), high pressure oil lines, turbo pedestal o-rings, fuel filter drain, high pressure oil rail plugs, and probably more. None of those would cause a smoking situation or knock, but would drain to the back of the valley, out the drain hole, and down the back of your motor.

The way to fix the injector would be to find someone local who can do a cylinder contribution test. That uses the computer to "take out" one injector at a time to see if they are all contributing to the rotational velocity of the engine. When you "take out" the bad injector, the knocking and the smoke will quit.

After that, it is just a matter of replacing the bad injector - anyone with mechanical abilities should be able to do that. Just remember that when you pull an injector in these trucks, all the fuel and oil in the head rails will drain into the cylinder, and you have to pump it all out one way or another before trying to start it.

New injectors run about 200-300 bucks. The valve cover gaskets are re-usable, so you shouldn't have a lot of additional expense

Last edited by RT; 03-09-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added pricing
Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

thanks dray8165 that makes sense on the drain I will go and look close at this to see if I can find this leak. This leak had been doing this but nothing like the break down yesterday. I would guess the dealer or diesel shop should check the injectors. Would you think it could be the head or head gasket at all or defiantly the injector? I just want to have some good information and question to ask the mechanic at the shop or dealer.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray8165 View Post
It was a really good video! And it's about the 13th time its answered someone's question. Thanks for putting it up for all of us.
Good. Im glad my vid helps others, it can be scary when this happens to your truck and shops all just assume bent rod/blown headgasket etc.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moms1997 View Post
thanks dray8165 that makes sense on the drain I will go and look close at this to see if I can find this leak. This leak had been doing this but nothing like the break down yesterday. I would guess the dealer or diesel shop should check the injectors. Would you think it could be the head or head gasket at all or defiantly the injector? I just want to have some good information and question to ask the mechanic at the shop or dealer.
Mine was hazing white smoke for about an hour before the tip finally broke off completely, which turns your injector into a cutting torch inside the combustion chamber. You gotta run that truck as little as possible and pull all injectors and find the bad one.
Have it borescoped to try and see if that injector tip is still in there. Mine passed through my turbo like a kidney stone, you may or may not be as lucky.
Dont start it, Pull the injectors.

Heres what I got when I pulled mine:
Attached Thumbnails
7.3 liter loud knock ???-cracked-injector.jpg  

Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Would this or should this be done by the dealer? If it didn't pass though the turbo what happens?

I am glad that you guys are giving this information its great but I still feel worried $ is tight now days.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hey, this happened to my truck, i was driving down the interstate on my way home on a 1000 mile trip, got 250 miles from home and my engine starting making a ticking noise, sounded like a gas engine lifter tick, looked behind me smoke was pouring out, drove a little further and it started knocking, sounded like someone was punching the hood, i pulled over and it idled for a minute and then died, the truck will turn over like normal but wont fire, smoke comes out of the pipe. i ve pulled the injectors i cant see any cracks, i pulled the glow plugs 7 of them looked good, the one from cyl #3 i looked at the end and it is half gone, could this have made my injector go bad, if not what else could it be, my truck has been dead for a month now, i need it for work
shepkimberly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
RT

Did you label the injectors when you pulled them out? I would hazard a guess that injector #3 is dumping fuel - the tip doesn't have to be bad for there to be a problem. You could switch out that one injector and give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.