7.3 LOW BOOST - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 LOW BOOST

I have 2000 f350. the motor was in there lost compression on 2 cylinders. so just got another motor. other thing i did was put my
turbo on there its is banks, its has a turbo tri power chip in it.
before i always have around 30psi now cant get but 10 to 12psi.
thought it was the chip so i took it out,still same thing 10to 12 psi.
WALKERPLAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (4)
The first thing you should check is the intercooler boots. One of them may be leaking causing boost loss. Other than that a thorough inspection of the up-pipes and the turbo wastegate would also be in order.
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

i checked the boots. where is the wastegate and how u know its bad?

thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

The wastegate actuator is attached to the compressor housing, it goes across the top of the turbo to a lever that opens the wastegate in the turbine housing. The actuator should be set where there is a little tension to hold the wastegate closed. When you are on the throttle hard the WG solenoid should allow some of the manifold pressure to be ported to the WG actuator to open the WG. This keeps the turbo from prematurely failing when you are asking for lots of boost, then let off the go pedal.
WASTEGATE

Wastegate Actuator

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
Old 08-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks woodnthings8. i have the same one in the picture. i took the turbo off and check everything the gate was opening good without the big head on .put everything back together still no boost. what else
Old 08-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Have you looked into the MAP sensor? There should be a hose that runs from the intake spider to the MAP sensor on the firewall (passenger side). I suppose if you had a faulty sensor it could cause low boost. Where is your boost gauge plumbed into? It should be off of that hose or the intake spider.

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
Old 08-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

its plumbed right off the spider. when i had it off it was clean. how can u test the map sensor?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

HAve you cleaned or replaced your air filter? Mine will fall on its face with a dirty air filter. I know it may seem obvious...but you never know.
Good Luck, please post when you find the cause.
Jay
99 XLT,PSD,CC,SB, 4x4, Manual T-case and hubs, auto trans, 3:73 Limited slip,Straight piped, Amsoil and Dodge LS Additive in the rear, Diamond B Brush Guard, AFE MAgnum intake/Pro guard 7 filter, Isspro Gauges on A-piller, SCMT 60 or 80hp, 203 T-Stat, Billit Housing
IF YOU HAVE EATEN TODAY, THANK A FARMER!!
Jay Brunson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would read it with my scan software. I have not looked up anything on testing it individually. Are you running a basic gauge, or through something like an Edge tuner?

If everything is good intake wise, I would look into the exhaust. Have you made sure no up-pipe leaks or the EBPV isn't closed or something? If the exhaust isn't spooling up the turbine wheel, you will have low boost.

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
Old 08-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

i know it wasnt good but i took it out for a test run.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

its a banks gauge. what is EBPV and where is it? i check the exhaust nothing there either.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RIStroker2000
i cant seem to get over the fact after reading that you got the same boost with the chip in as when its out (no ideas at the moment though)... and as far as EBV when mines closed i get 0 boost, if i get 'on it' when its closed (really bad for the motor FYI) i can only get 5-7...

what year motor did you have put in?

nothing crazy, it carries alot of weight, it tows alot.. has all the 'usual' upgrades plus some..

she breaths well, has extra air and fuel
RIStroker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALKERPLAY View Post
its a banks gauge. what is EBPV and where is it? i check the exhaust nothing there either.
The EBPV is located in the outlet of the turbo just before the exhaust down pipe. It is a big butterfly valve that closes to warm up the truck.

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
Old 08-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Can the turbo go bad? what is the normal boost on 7.3? i clean the tube from the exhaust to the sensor,its clean.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

"normal" boost is around 24 psi. With a tuner you can get up to about 30 psi. Yes a turbo can go bad. Pull the intake off of the turbo and spin the compressor by hand. Make sure you can spin it freely and it has no side to side play that can be felt by hand. It it feels OK and the compressor blades look normal, I would pull the exhaust pipe off of the turbine side and do the same inspection. It may be harder to see the wheel, but with a light you should be able to look at it.

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.