7.3 NO OIL PRESSURE--fixed?? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2005, 11:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: 7.3 NO OIL PRESSURE

Gentlemen
I think that I have found the problem. The long way around but what can ya do.

I have changed out the IPR and the truck is now running. I will know better tomorrow after I can run it for a while but as of right know I think that was the problem.

Back to the beginning:
The truck was running on the highway when it lost power after dropping down into first gear it started. This is the reason that the IPR was initially over looked. I thought that when they failed they failed for good.

--I started buy checking for oil in the HP reservoir and it did look low. (Having found the problem I think this is due to the fact that the IPR was not letting oil flow up to the reservoir but the HPOP was still trying to pump out what was in the reservoir.)

--The next move was to get the truck into the garage and pull the LPOP. It looked like it was ok.

--I checked to see that the pick up was not broken by taping off the feed slot to the LPOP (the one connected to the pickup) (lower slot) with some clear plastic tape, pocked a hole in it, and then used a small vacuum bleeding hand pump to pull a vacuum. Once I saw that the oil had come up onto the tape I new it was not the pick up. If it was cracked or broken I would not have been able to pull the air out fast enough to draw up the oil.

After looking at some parts from another 7.3 I am almost positive that the newer 7.3 do not have a check valve to keep the oil in the hp reservoir. It looks like there is a feed tube in the reservoir that runs almost al the way to the top, so once a small amount of oil drains back and the level is below this tube it can not drain any farther. I could be wrong but that is the way it looks in the spare housing.

I hope that this will hope someone out in the future.

I will place another post tomorrow and give one final update.

Once again I would like to thank everyone that has tried to help.

Daniel [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
DJBF550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 11:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)

I am sorry I did not see this post earlier, you were given wrong information above... If you fill the reservior with oil and it still will not start, it is definatly a HPOP/IPR problem. The pressure guage is on top of the reservior, obviously your IPR o-rings were broken and all the oil was dumping back to the pan.
MachinistOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2005, 01:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

[ QUOTE ]
I am sorry I did not see this post earlier, you were given wrong information above... If you fill the reservior with oil and it still will not start, it is definatly a HPOP/IPR problem. The pressure guage is on top of the reservior, obviously your IPR o-rings were broken and all the oil was dumping back to the pan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or a Stuck open Injector
Old 12-11-2005, 04:06 AM   #19 (permalink)

I have delt with a couple trucks that had stuck open injectors, both of them were able to run and start...
Old 12-11-2005, 09:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

[ QUOTE ]
After looking at some parts from another 7.3 I am almost positive that the newer 7.3 do not have a check valve to keep the oil in the hp reservoir. It looks like there is a feed tube in the reservoir that runs almost al the way to the top, so once a small amount of oil drains back and the level is below this tube it can not drain any farther. I could be wrong but that is the way it looks in the spare housing.

[/ QUOTE ] This is the correct operation of the high pressure oil reservoir. The newer 7.3s, not sure on what year this happen, check valve does nothing except to give you unfiltered oil to the reservoir on start up and closes off the unfiltered oil when the oil pressure comes up on the filtered side from the main oil galleys. This is to give the reservoir the amount of oil it needs on cold starts as quick as possible. I have never seen a oil check valve drain a reservoir on the later 7.3s. The stand pipe in the reservoir keeps the oil from draining back to the sump. A leaking IPR could cause your problems but I think the low pressure oil pump would give you enough pressure to make the gauge move. They also changed the low pressure oil pump and pickup location slightly to prevent oil drain down.
This is one of the first posts I have seen that describes the proper operation of the oil check valve and reservoir.
If the IPR replacement took care of your problem this would not be the first time I have seen a issue like this.
FMT
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
fordmastertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #21 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I have delt with a couple trucks that had stuck open injectors, both of them were able to run and start...

[/ QUOTE ]I have had more than a few with Stuck Poppets dumping Out Oil and Neither would Build enough HP Oil pressure to fire the Inj. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #22 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I have had more than a few with Stuck Poppets dumping Out Oil and Neither would Build enough HP Oil pressure to fire the Inj. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be that I had the ICP sensor unhooked when that worked for me, the truck will start with less oil pressure when that sensor is disconnected. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #23 (permalink)

my truck is haveing a similar problem my truck wont start. after i replaced all the injector orings . now the truck wont start and the oil preshure gauge isnt even moveing
norcalevi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalevi View Post
my truck is haveing a similar problem my truck wont start. after i replaced all the injector orings . now the truck wont start and the oil preshure gauge isnt even moveing
Why don't you delete this post and start a new one, this thread is 5 years old. You will get better answers.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.

Last edited by Bill1013; 01-15-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1013 View Post
Why don't you delete this post and start a new one, this thread is 5 years old. You will get better answers.

im a new member and i dont know how to do it ? can u help guide me ?
norcalevi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #26 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
Sure, go back to the main forum listing for the 7.3 and click on the button that looks like this It's at the top left hand side of the screen just above where the threads are listed. If you can't find it, click here

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
F350_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
To delete that post, click on the Edit button there, then you will see a Delete button at the bottom.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.