7.3 no power white smoke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 no power white smoke

00 7.3 starts up no smoke, but when you go to move no power and white smoke,diesel fumes are super strong,what has gone wrong?
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
Check to be sure your fuel pump is running - located on the frame rail under the driver's seat. You can also test for fuel delivery by opening the filter drain valve (yellow handle behind the filter bowl on the top front of the engine) and see if there's fuel being pumped out the drain tube above the front axle.

If you aren't getting fuel delivery, you won't get any power, and the injector spray pattern will be coarse, making the fuel that does get injected harder to ignite.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know the fuel filter housing fills in a hurry when I turn the key on
Old 06-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
OK, the next thing I'd check is HP oil pressure. Low HP oil pressure will cause low power as well, although if it's really low, the engine won't even start. If you don't have a scan tool that will read ICP, then you can try pulling the ICP sensor connector off and start it up.

Also check that the tin nut holding the IPR coil on is snug. If the coil can move, then the HP oil pressure can't be controlled like it's supposed to.

With a scan tool monitoring ICP and IPR duty cycle, at idle, you should be seeing about 450-550 psi and an IPR duty cycle of somewhere around 10 and 12%.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ipr read either 18 or 19% at idle and icp read around 550-600 also noticed that at idle the engine noise is more quite than a average 7.3
Old 06-17-2011, 05:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

you either have a restriction in your intake, or it's an oil pressure problem. at the top of the pump there is an allen plug, remove the plug and get a fitting to fit in with some hose. get a jug or can and start the engine. oil is going to come out of that hose but engine will still run. if you have a nice steady flow and no bubbles it's ok. if you have bubbels and a choppy flow, it's an oil pressure problem or a pick up tube issue. hope this helps

mike
ColeTrain45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

18 or 19% is a little high for the IPR duty cycle at idle. You should be down around 11% at idle. The higher numbers would lean to an issue, but it doesn't indicate where. The PCM is looking for a target RPM at idle, and increases the IPR duty% to achieve it. Leaking o-rings on the IPR could lead to the higher numbers, a sticky IPR needle, leaking injector o-rings, bad oil, the list can go on. You're going to have to do a few tests to start narrowing it down from system to components. The white smoke is unburnt diesel. That's easy enough. Why is a bit harder. If there is insufficient fuel in a cylinder, it won't explode because the A/F ratio is wrong. It will start to burn but the violent air currents will snuff it out and push it out the exhaust. A bad injector tip might put the correct amount of fuel in, but not atomize it, and again- no explosion.
First, ensure your oil is correct for the truck and within mileage. Make sure the air filter is clean, and you already looked at the fuel filter. Next, get the On-Demand-Tests performed, KOER, CCT, and injector buzz. These will help narrow it down to a particular system or cylinder as the problem.
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
tinman13kup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

These are brand new injectors and orings from swamps diesel, brand new oil and brand new cold air intake

Last edited by circletrack racer; 06-17-2011 at 04:24 PM.
circletrack racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

That should put the injectors low on the list of possibilities, but the o-rings can still get damaged during the install. You should still try to get a CCT to see if it's a problem cylinder or if its a system wide issue.
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
tinman13kup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.