7.3 no throttle response - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to pioneerscot
Question 7.3 no throttle response

Hello, newb question,
I was at a stop sign the other day and no matter how hard I pushed the accelerator pedal there was no response.

I have a 97 ex cab 4x4 7.3 with 240,000 mi.

This thing was running perfect b-4 this,wile I was sitting there stranded I pulled the throttle position sensor plug and tried jumping a couple pins
( mistake ) it died and now the check engine light is on. I also pulled fuse
# 13 I think, in cab fuse panel top center fuse 15a, any way after messing with it for a bit while traffic gave me a hassle it started to work.

I did a search here and the factory did a bulletin for the ( IVS ) Idle validation switch but this bulletin is from 95, does it apply here ??

It states to replace pedal and switch assy as a complete unit, can I just get the switch ? And how do I reset the check engine light ??

The truck runs ok now but I don't want to be stranded again.
Thank you so much,
Scot
pioneerscot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

When mine did the same thing at a stop light it turned out to be the accelerator pedal assembly, replaced it and all was well again.
2001 Ford F-350 drw 4x2 auto,4.10 gears,Turbonetics ball bearing turbo, Turbo Master Wastegate controller, Dieselsite Boots, ceramic coated up-pipes and exaust manifolds, DIY Tymar, 4 inch exaust turbo to tip, Isspro guages EGT,Boost, Trans temp from DieselManor, 6.0 trans cooler, AIH delete with boost attachment, ITP Regulated Fuel Return kit,hutch and harpoon mod done, ITP in tank and prepump mod kit, Rotella ELC, 203 Stat. Oil Guard by-pass filter system
DP Tuner-no start, stock,40,60,80E,120
BTS Transmission,(BTS-BUBBA)
105,000 miles, built to tow
Toys: 03 Screaming Eagle Duece Harley
37ft Cyclone by Heartland 5th wheel toy hauler
ford4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Another more recent but similar post says throttle position sensor and it will be enough, is this true or do I need the whole pedal assy ?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to YAMAHAMMER
Im not sure about yours but mine came as an entire pedal. The IVS as I understand is in the position sensor. I would just buy a new one and be done with it. Im on my second one now. It only gets worse, first few times are probably months or weeks apart, after a while it will start doing it every time almost. Its pretty embarassing trying to roll through an intersection at an idle with long lines of traffic behind you lol.
"TWEAKED" WASTEGATE
EBPV DELETE
CCV DELETE
AIH DELETE
SUNPRO PHANTOM II GAUGES
4" STRAIGHT TURBO BACK
DIESELSITE BOOST FOOLER
HOME MADE INTAKE
BULLYDOG SPRING KIT
YAMAHAMMER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks YAMAHAMMER, I did see a Ford bulletin ( replace entire throttle pedal with sensor and IVS ) on that but it was posted in 95 so my guess was it would be for earlier versions and that by 97 it would be corrected ??
Napa did have the trottle position sensor but no list for the Idle Validation Switch or pedal assy. the closest dealer to me is about 50 mi haven't made it there yet.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

No Throttle... Dead pedal

Sorry, this is a bit of a re-post but it crosses threads...

I've got NO throttle response and this thread says to replace Throttle Assembly and another thread here says there is a bad wire in the column shifter. I have pulled the column shifter and I don't see any 'obvious' signs of a broken/bad wire (insulation is still intact and looks okay so I can't actually see the wires).

I'd rather not start throwing $100 bills at the problem...is there a way to better diagnose? My problem comes and goes (but it's getting worse and more frequent) so I've eliminated the possibility of a blown fuse (but please tell me if I'm wrong)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by srsnyder; 08-14-2009 at 09:41 AM.
srsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Anyone?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

There is a way to test the pedal assembly and what the outputs should read as you depress the pedal. You will need a digital multimeter. I am not sure what the readings should be but someone on here had posted them before, hopefully they will chime in and let you know. It's been a while since I did mine and I don't remember where I put those #'s at. Getting tha old timers disease you know.
2001 Ford F-350 drw 4x2 auto,4.10 gears,Turbonetics ball bearing turbo, Turbo Master Wastegate controller, Dieselsite Boots, ceramic coated up-pipes and exaust manifolds, DIY Tymar, 4 inch exaust turbo to tip, Isspro guages EGT,Boost, Trans temp from DieselManor, 6.0 trans cooler, AIH delete with boost attachment, ITP Regulated Fuel Return kit,hutch and harpoon mod done, ITP in tank and prepump mod kit, Rotella ELC, 203 Stat. Oil Guard by-pass filter system
DP Tuner-no start, stock,40,60,80E,120
BTS Transmission,(BTS-BUBBA)
105,000 miles, built to tow
Toys: 03 Screaming Eagle Duece Harley
37ft Cyclone by Heartland 5th wheel toy hauler
ford4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks - I've got a multi-meter. If anyone can point me to the spec's I'll check it...I'll do a search to see what I can find too
Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

check this out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsnyder View Post
Thanks - I've got a multi-meter. If anyone can point me to the spec's I'll check it...I'll do a search to see what I can find too

see this link for all kinds of general testing specs
Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
roadrkt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the link...I picked up a throttle assembly and it fixed the problem.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.