The Diesel Stop banner

7.3 oil filters

62K views 42 replies 26 participants last post by  YT90SC 
#1 ·
have jad my 02 for just over a year now, i change my oil every three months, and have always used the ford oil filter at $24.00 a pop. Was in at the local liquidation store and bought a bunch of fram ones for $1.00 each,

after getting them home they look just like the ford on the inside, are they o.k. to use???

#2 ·
First of all.. where are you buying motorcraft filters for $24.00??? i buy them at wal mart for $9.97 every time i change my oil... as far as the filters you bought, i wouldnt use anything but motorcraft, but thats JMO, im sure you will hear different as there are alot of great filters out there..

#9 · (Edited)
First of all.. where are you buying motorcraft filters for $24.00??? i buy them at wal mart for $9.97 every time i change my oil... as far as the filters you bought, i wouldnt use anything but motorcraft, but thats JMO, im sure you will hear different as there are alot of great filters out there..
The wallmart here interrace b.c canada ,only sells fram filters.and the dealer sells them for 24.00 a peice, and thats at 20% off for working at a gm dealership, i tried one of the gm acdelco ones but you can phsyically see that they are two differnt breeds, the holes inside are not even half the size and they weigh alot less, just trying to save a buck as i change my oil very frequently.

#3 · (Edited)
This is just my .02, but I heard from my local auto parts dealer that I have an account with that Fram started recalling a lot of their filters due to failure (under normal operating conditions) and I was advised against purchasing from them until it could be rectified. Hopefully someone on here has more time and can link to information that agrees with his statement or disproves it. I would suggest calling to make sure that those are not apart of the recall. Some filters may have thinner metal used in the casing or slightly different plys of filter media. Either way I run Wix or Motorcraft filters and I have cut them open for comparison and didn't notice a difference.

Edit: This was about two to four weeks ago when I last purchased a filter.

#4 ·
$9.97 at Wally World for the Motorcraft FL1995 filter.

#5 ·
There was a recent thread on the subject of why not to buy Fram regardless of their recall issues. They are not quality filters. They have different size oil holes and the glues they use don't remain in the filter evidently. I would search this forum to find all of the details.

#6 ·
I just found the thread. It is called "how to service a diesel". Page 3 or four in this section Powerstroke engine and drivetrain. Look for posts from Smokeywren. He is very knowledgeable and gives excellent advice. He knows this subject well.

#7 · (Edited)
have jad my 02 for just over a year now, i change my oil every three months, and have always used the ford oil filter at $24.00 a pop. Was in at the local liquidation store and bought a bunch of fram ones for $1.00 each,

after getting them home they look just like the ford on the inside, are they o.k. to use???
Trash can the Fram. You may lose a few bucks doing so , but save big bucks on engine repair. Those Frams can come apart inside and possible plug your lube system. Safest bet is Motorcraft, Wix or LuberFiner.

I personally use the filters from IH, the large ones, and only change it every other oil change, they hold an extra Qt. of oil. Good for 14,000 miles according to Blackstone oil check.

#10 · (Edited)
$24?!?!? WITH A 20% DISCOUNT! Wow, they must've saw you coming with your gm shirt on or something, I buy the same Motorcraft ones as everybody else does at walmart for 9.97, even but the motorcraft oil too, 5 quarts for 11.77. 3 jugs and its done with no leftover to deal with.
I think Advance carries motorcraft too, not sure if you have Advance Auto Parts up there though

#12 · (Edited)
i tried the international dealer for the first time yesterday , and they wanted the same as ford for there fuel filters 37.00 plus tax.i will try and go to wallmart and double check but all i had seen there was fram and i know the used penziol filters in their oil change shop here.

#13 ·
I run Mobile 1 filters in all my vehicles. I read research articles 4 or 5 years ago and felt like they were the best. They run $10 to $20 but I fell good about what they do!

#14 ·
I have bought Motorcraft fl1995 filters at Murray's (now O'reilly's) for 10-15 bucks ever since I bought my truck new. They go on sale all the time for 9.95 and are regularly priced at 14.95. They have additional Motorcraft rebates available even when they go on sale.

#18 ·
How much do yall spend on oil changes? I take my 2002 f250 to dealer for $60 and every 5th 1 is free. Does this sound reasonable?
That's a good deal. Stealership here wants $150.

#22 · (Edited)
update

Auto part Wheel Clutch part Automotive wheel system Rotor

Oil filter Cylinder Auto part Filter

Circle Metal

Auto part Rotor Bearing Wheel Rim

went to wallamrt, only fram filters, no motorcraft! called other dealer in nearby town $27.00 retail. went home cut open one of the frams looking for the carboard filter ends , well here is what i found, outer meatl is really thick, no cardboard, cut filter open too , seems like some sort on thick paper but slight resemblance to fiberglass.definatley not that weby(is that a word) but not just plain paper either update: tongiht i cut open agm acdelco filter a car one though pf47 and i think the fram is built way better than our gm ones!

#34 ·
View attachment 3985

View attachment 3986

View attachment 3987

View attachment 3988

went to wallamrt, only fram filters, no motorcraft! called other dealer in nearby town $27.00 retail. went home cut open one of the frams looking for the carboard filter ends , well here is what i found, outer meatl is really thick, no cardboard, cut filter open too , seems like some sort on thick paper but slight resemblance to fiberglass.definatley not that weby(is that a word) but not just plain paper either update: tongiht i cut open agm acdelco filter a car one though pf47 and i think the fram is built way better than our gm ones!

I've been using Wix on my trucks for 10 years now. Their 1734 filter is rated at 20 microns, normaly retails for $20 at Napa. They also have the 1734EX, rated at 10 microns. This one normaly retails for $30. Im sure you could order over the web, getting a quality filter for even cheaper than $27. I would also truck motorcraft and moble 1.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
joeseppy said:
went to wallamrt, only fram filters, no motorcraft! called other dealer in nearby town $27.00 retail. went home cut open one of the frams looking for the carboard filter ends , well here is what i found, outer meatl is really thick, no cardboard, cut filter open too , seems like some sort on thick paper but slight resemblance to fiberglass.definatley not that weby(is that a word) but not just plain paper either
I think I'd go ahead and use them... not sure what oil change interval you're using (I normally do 5k), but maybe swap the filters every 3-4k just to be safe?

#24 ·
I do wix filter with full synthetic every 3k. Cost around 65 for me. Looking at running bypass system and sending in for tests. It should pay for itself quickly if it can extend my intervals.

Reactions: Craig White
#25 ·
This guy's WAY up in Terrace - B.C. - it's not the end of the earth - but you can see it from there:lol:

No Motorcraft like W/M in the USA - and the IHC guy is screwing him:nono:

Cool_ Canuck is right - You SHOULD be able to buy a Fleetguard filter from him, or ANY large truck dealer that services International, Cat, ETC for about $14 Canadian.

bbt

#26 · (Edited)
Great pics. When you replace the oil fram filter take a look inside to see if that paperish material is still there. I hope you have good luck with them.

The next time your out of town check out some other parts stores for better prices.

My last oil change was $120 with Rotella T synthetic a motorcraft filter. However, in 5000 miles I'm only going to change the Motorcraft filter with two fresh quarts of Rotella T inside it. I don't plan to completely change the oil again till she hits 300,000 miles. Longer if the oil test comes back good. So i'l going to run this oil for at least 50,000 miles.

Yall, have an awesome weekend!

okiephillip

#27 ·
FRAM Filters

My name is Gary and I am the chief filtration engineer for FRAM (been with the company for 22 years). A colleague of mine recently directed me to this site because they were concerned with comments regarding FRAM filters used on the Ford 7.3L Diesel engine.

I would like to provide some factual information regarding the FRAM PH3786.

Regarding the recall comment, the FRAM PH3786 filter used on the Ford 7.3L engine has never been recalled. If a filter is ever recalled, we take immediate and responsible action.

The FRAM PH3876 has been manufactured since 1994 at our Greenville, Ohio plant. It is manufactured on our Heavy Duty filter line that also makes numerous other Aftermarket and OE filters used on Heavy Duty vehicles up to Class 8 over the road trucks. The filter was designed using the same construction and high performance HD filter media we use for these Class 8 applications. The filter media is a durable synthetic blend media with an efficiency of 98% at 22 microns, greater than OE requirements.

FRAM has been in the filter business since 1934. We manufacture filters for several Passenger Car and Heavy Duty OE vehicle and engine manufacturers and our FRAM filters go through the same rigorous testing as the OE filters.

We want make sure the millions of motorists who use our filters understand that we take pride in what we do and stand by and warranty all the products we sell. I encourage you to give our products a try. If you need help with installation, or have any questions on technical specifications, we’ve got people ready and willing to help.

#28 ·
Walmart in Canada does not seem to always carry them. I picked a bunch up when I was in the states last time.

#30 ·
Changing the filters is paramount. I also like having magnet on the oil drain plu too. Its a tiny bit of metal powder on it means its cought.

you might try eBay for a better price on Motorcraft filters. I usually buy mine two at a time and keep the 2nd one in the truck so i have it when its time to change it.

#32 ·
The Ford dealership does a change for $80 here in Santa Maria, Ca. When I need a change, that's where I'm going. I always change my gassers myself, but changing out my Excursion seems like it will be a lot more messy?

#33 ·
I use the Rotella Synthetic adn Motorcraft filter routine and have done so for close to 200K and but it at Walmart but Pep Boys carrys it too.
I write the mileage, Date and number 1,2 or 3 depending on the change sequence on the outside of the filter with a marker so I can look at it and tell who soon the next change is comming up.
Each time I change it I move to the next number in rotation, 1,2 or 3. When I get back to 1, I change the fuel filter too. Oil gets changed every 5K. Cost is about $100 with tax.
If it gets to be too expensive I will install a BP Filter and stretch it to 15K or so or, go back to dino.
Unless you are using a BP filter and getting UOA done don't go past 5K. Have you priced new engines, ain't cheap.

#35 ·
Let me ask about the K&N filter HP6001.. Any good? bad?
Been looking to do a different filter because part shops are charging 35+ for wix filter... and have found some HP6001.
The joys of life in alaska is that often times there is not a cheap place to buy some thing .

#36 ·
I normally use the Motorcraft or Purolator Filters, but a while back, I bought a Fram just for the heck of it and cut it open. It did not have the dreaded "paper ends" on it, and the element looked identical to the element in the Motorcraft/Purolator Filter (I know that there could still be differences, but the issue is that the element seemed to be stout).

With this new profound knowledge, I bought another one and installed it on my truck. 5k miles later, when I changed the oil, the Blackstone report came back with typical test results (no change from past results), so I figured that the filter was OK. I just bought a ton of them when G. I. Joe's went out of business, so I now have a bunch of them that will be used...

#37 ·
have jad my 02 for just over a year now, i change my oil every three months,
No one else asked this, but I will:

You change oil every THREE MONTHS? How many miles are on the oil in three months? That seems pretty often...

I believe the (minimum) oil change interval on these is 5000 mi. Although, a lot of you guys do it at 3Kmi, I believe you're throwing away perfectly good oil which could be run longer, IMO. On the OTR T444e engines, IH/Navistar says 10Kmi between changes.

I change mine at around 7000 mi., (although I use Valvoline synthetic), and I use WIX, NAPA or Motorcraft filters only. No Fram!

I have done a few UOA's and they have always been good.

Just my .02...

#38 ·
Gary,

I am a Hydraulics Engineer, naturally filtration is very important in my world. From a pure hydraulics perspective, I like to maintain 18/16/13 (ISO 4406) for proportional valves, but I haven't dealt a lot with the combustion engine filtration. I don't know what Navistar requires for the injectors, to establish the filter needed.

From the numbers you stated, it sounds like the Fram filter is rated a Beta Ratio 75 @ 22 micron? If you are in Fram Engineering, I suspect you have benchmarked competetors filters for the mulitpass test. How does Frams product compare to WIX and Motorcraft? On another note, did I understand you correctly, that the Motorcraft filter has a numercially higher micron rating, than the Fram product?

Thanks,
Rod Caldwell

#39 ·
Rod,

As you are familiar with efficiency ratings, the separation in efficiency values is into the decimal points on high Beta’s. 98% efficiency point would actually be Beta 50. 98.67% would be Beta 75. To educate others in the calculation, Beta is number of particles upstream of the filter divided by the number of particles downstream during the filtration test. If you have 50 particles upstream and 1 downstream this would equal a Beta 50. You can also calculate the efficiency with the particle counts. Example: (50 – 1)/50 *100 = 98 % efficiency. For Beta 75 the efficiency would be (75-1)/75 * 100 = 98.67%. These numbers should always be associated with a particle size. In this case of the FRAM PH3786 it’s 22 micron.

Do to the nature of the combustion engine lube system and contaminant ingression the ISO 4406 standard is not used as it is in hydraulics. For Diesel engine fuel injection systems, with the new high pressure common rails and small injector clearances, cleanliness and filtration requirements have been increased considerably over the past few years.

Regarding competitor testing, yes, we do benchmark various competitors but do not publish specific results. For filters in this category of Diesel engines I will say that many competitors like ourselves targeted similar efficiencies to the OE filter for their standard products, aiming slightly higher. We also sell an even higher efficiency FRAM Tough Guard version of this filter; TG3786, that has an efficiency of 99% at 20 micron or also stated as Beta 100 at 20 micron.

Regards,

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.