7.3 oil filters - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 oil filters

have jad my 02 for just over a year now, i change my oil every three months, and have always used the ford oil filter at $24.00 a pop. Was in at the local liquidation store and bought a bunch of fram ones for $1.00 each,

after getting them home they look just like the ford on the inside, are they o.k. to use???
joeseppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

First of all.. where are you buying motorcraft filters for $24.00??? i buy them at wal mart for $9.97 every time i change my oil... as far as the filters you bought, i wouldnt use anything but motorcraft, but thats JMO, im sure you will hear different as there are alot of great filters out there..
ffstreetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is just my .02, but I heard from my local auto parts dealer that I have an account with that Fram started recalling a lot of their filters due to failure (under normal operating conditions) and I was advised against purchasing from them until it could be rectified. Hopefully someone on here has more time and can link to information that agrees with his statement or disproves it. I would suggest calling to make sure that those are not apart of the recall. Some filters may have thinner metal used in the casing or slightly different plys of filter media. Either way I run Wix or Motorcraft filters and I have cut them open for comparison and didn't notice a difference.

Edit: This was about two to four weeks ago when I last purchased a filter.
Year: 06/01 F-250 XLT 4X4 All hands on work completed by me. 4 Icon Lift, Dual Stabilizer, Pan Rod Bar, Shocks, Leaf Spring, Purple Cranium 10.5 & Dana 60 356 alloy, T-6 Diff Covers with Lube Locker gaskets, Mag-Hytec Tran Pan, AFE Stg II w/ PG7, MBRP 4 SS Exhaust, 0589-7887 Eagle Alloy w/ 315/75 MT Baja ATZ, U-joints upgraded to Precision Super-Strength greaseable, EBC 3GD Sport Vented Rotors w/ Yellowstuff (ceramic/carbon fiber) pads all around, SS brake lines, 203* Thermo w/ Billet housing, DB HT Starter, Harpoon/Hutch Mod w/ inline Fuelab filter, RedHead Steering Gearbox, Energy Suspension Master Bushing Kit, ISSPRO EV2 Gauges, DP Tuner.

Last edited by 01F250CCLB4X4; 04-22-2009 at 01:09 PM.
01F250CCLB4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

$9.97 at Wally World for the Motorcraft FL1995 filter.
PullRite Superglide Hitch
Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags and Dual Commander II
LINE-X, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, Autometer 3-gauge kit, AFE Stage 2 Intake, boot kit, coolant filter kit, A/C heater bypass.
DP Tuner F5 (40HP Tow, 80HP econ, 100HP Race)and ATS Housing
Magnaflow Performance 4 inch turbo back exhaust
BTS tranny
kampinguru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampinguru View Post
$9.97 at Wally World for the Motorcraft FL1995 filter.
There was a recent thread on the subject of why not to buy Fram regardless of their recall issues. They are not quality filters. They have different size oil holes and the glues they use don't remain in the filter evidently. I would search this forum to find all of the details.
2001 f250: AFE stage 2, Banks Monster exhaust w/power elbow and bighead wastegate, autometer pillar guages, kcm crossover, ccv delete, ITP over boost annihilator, dp 6 pos stock, 40,60,80econ,100,120, BTS Tranny, FS2500 soot sucker bypass oil filtration.
xfordtdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just found the thread. It is called "how to service a diesel". Page 3 or four in this section Powerstroke engine and drivetrain. Look for posts from Smokeywren. He is very knowledgeable and gives excellent advice. He knows this subject well.
2001 f250: AFE stage 2, Banks Monster exhaust w/power elbow and bighead wastegate, autometer pillar guages, kcm crossover, ccv delete, ITP over boost annihilator, dp 6 pos stock, 40,60,80econ,100,120, BTS Tranny, FS2500 soot sucker bypass oil filtration.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeseppy View Post
have jad my 02 for just over a year now, i change my oil every three months, and have always used the ford oil filter at $24.00 a pop. Was in at the local liquidation store and bought a bunch of fram ones for $1.00 each,

after getting them home they look just like the ford on the inside, are they o.k. to use???
Trash can the Fram. You may lose a few bucks doing so , but save big bucks on engine repair. Those Frams can come apart inside and possible plug your lube system. Safest bet is Motorcraft, Wix or LuberFiner.

I personally use the filters from IH, the large ones, and only change it every other oil change, they hold an extra Qt. of oil. Good for 14,000 miles according to Blackstone oil check.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.

Last edited by Bill1013; 04-22-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cut a fram filter open and you'll find paper. Don't us them.
1996, F250, XLT, 4wd, 7.3 IDI, Garrett Turbo, supercab, 8' bed, goose-neck hitch, 285,000+ miles, Rotella T synthetic, Motorcraft filters, two Haynes 1405 transmission fluid coolers. I am not a vender.
okiephillip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffstreetdoc View Post
First of all.. where are you buying motorcraft filters for $24.00??? i buy them at wal mart for $9.97 every time i change my oil... as far as the filters you bought, i wouldnt use anything but motorcraft, but thats JMO, im sure you will hear different as there are alot of great filters out there..
The wallmart here interrace b.c canada ,only sells fram filters.and the dealer sells them for 24.00 a peice, and thats at 20% off for working at a gm dealership, i tried one of the gm acdelco ones but you can phsyically see that they are two differnt breeds, the holes inside are not even half the size and they weigh alot less, just trying to save a buck as i change my oil very frequently.

Last edited by joeseppy; 04-23-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

$24?!?!? WITH A 20% DISCOUNT! Wow, they must've saw you coming with your gm shirt on or something, I buy the same Motorcraft ones as everybody else does at walmart for 9.97, even but the motorcraft oil too, 5 quarts for 11.77. 3 jugs and its done with no leftover to deal with.
I think Advance carries motorcraft too, not sure if you have Advance Auto Parts up there though

Last edited by md18; 04-22-2009 at 05:30 PM.
md18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 05:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Quote:
The wallmart here is terrace b.c , canada only sells fram filters.and the dealer sells them for 24.00 a peice, and thats at 20% off for working at a gm dealership, i tried one of the gm acdelco ones but you can phsyically see that they are two differnt breeds, the holes inside are not even half the size and they weigh alot less, just trying to save a buck as i change my oil very frequently.
Try your International Dealer. I get the Fleetguard or whatever the brand name is, for $12 and change.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/trimmed Snorkel; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED; Auto Magic Heater Bypass; 2W Low Switch.
Cool_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 08:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

i tried the international dealer for the first time yesterday , and they wanted the same as ford for there fuel filters 37.00 plus tax.i will try and go to wallmart and double check but all i had seen there was fram and i know the used penziol filters in their oil change shop here.

Last edited by joeseppy; 04-22-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I run Mobile 1 filters in all my vehicles. I read research articles 4 or 5 years ago and felt like they were the best. They run $10 to $20 but I fell good about what they do!
95 F350, 7.3 PSD, CC, ZF5 speed, 4x4, Dually, Autometer EGT, Boost and Engine Temp Gauges, HPOP and Fuel Pressure Gauges, DP and 4 inch exhaust, Tymar Intake, CPR Fuel System, Adrenaline HPOP, Intercooled, IDM Mod

85 Ranger, 302, ZF5 speed, Klune-V, Dana 20, Explorer front and rear diffs, 35 inch TSLs, ARBs, Superwinch
95DRW4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have bought Motorcraft fl1995 filters at Murray's (now O'reilly's) for 10-15 bucks ever since I bought my truck new. They go on sale all the time for 9.95 and are regularly priced at 14.95. They have additional Motorcraft rebates available even when they go on sale.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
i tried the international dealer for the first time yesterday , and they wanted the same as ford for there fuel filters 37.00 plus tax.i will try and go to wallmart and double check but all i had seen there was fram and i know the used penziol filters in their oil change shop here.
Not sure why, but the Walmarts near me have the Motorcraft filters in a separate area from the rest of the filters (Fram), they are still in the auto area, but about an aisle away? Might be worth it to ask if you can't find
them...
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.