7.3 oil pressure problems Help!!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 oil pressure problems Help!!!

Hey there. This is my first post and am hoping to get some help on the following problem. Truck is a 98 E350 powerstroke with 150,000 miles. Oil changes and filter every 5000 miles. My problem started with the truck dying after warming up. Found that the wires to the IPR were melted back and shorting together once the truck got hot. Found the problem and repaired the wires and the truck ran fine for a month. When I repaired the IPR I did an oil change, new oil filter, new fuel filter and new air filter.

1)Then I started to notice that she was smoking pretty badly when started but cleared up after a while. Smoke appears to be White when first started then blueish black in color.
2)Noticed a tapping sound coming from the drivers side valve cover. Very noticable with the breather hose removed.

3)Driving to work I noticed my oil pressure guage tank to 0, oil light came on and then pressure climbed and oil light went out. Pulled over and checked the oil level. oil level was fine but I did notice that it didn't have a clean look like it should have being recently changed.

4)Threw a scanner on the truck and received the following codes:
P1277 cylinder 7(c) - high to low side open
P1275 cylinder 5(F) - high to low side open
P0113 IAT circuit high output=KOEO self test fix second.
Continuous memory codes P0113 IAT circuit high input
Injector buzz test codes P1277 cylinder 7(c) high to low side open

My initial thoughts are to ring out all wiring harnesses pertaining to injector 5 and 7, open the valve covers, pull the injectors and replace the o rings (Would worn o rings cause my smoking problem and sudden drop in oil pressure?), test the injectors(primarily 7 and 5) (am I better off replacing them all while i'm in there?), replace the valve harnesses(I understand they are a problem on this model year), and replace the glow plugs while it's apart.

I would really appreciate any input that anyone might have as this is my first attemped at a project like this and I'm simply asuming that I'll find my problems with this course of action. I have read most of the posts pertaining to my issues. Thanks so much for the help.
sparkyblink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Welcome to TheDieselStop

For your injector problem, its probably just the UVC harness loose on the passenger side. If it's running OK otherwise, the injectors themselves are probably fine.

Injector problems won't cause LP oil system issues. The PSD has esentially two oil systems, the LP system and HP system, with the LP supplying oil to bearings, lifters, and the HP system. The HP system boosts pressure and runs the injectors, which are little hydraulic pumps that are electrically controlled.

The LP oil pump is an internal rotor type on the nose of the crankshaft, and it runs between an iron oil pump cover and the aluminum engine front cover. Guess which one wears out over the other - the front cover. When it does, the oil pressure drops because it gets around the back side of the LPOP rotors.

There is another possibility, which is the oil pressure relief valve has a broken spring or otherwise won't close. It's down in the oil filter housing, and bypasses oil when pressure builds up at high rpms.

I'll be back with a link to another thread that should help you out.

on edit: check this thread out - low oil pressure after warm up
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here

Last edited by klhansen; 01-07-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added link
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Thanks so much for the information. I'll be sure to check the connectors on the passanger side VC's to be sure it's connected. I have noticed that the truck is running a little rough. Would the loss of (2) injectors cause the engine to run rough and cause excessive smoke. Also because the wires on the ipr had melted back, could that be the cause of the oil pressure loss issue.
The other thing I noticed was that the oil that was recently changed seemed very dark like it hadn't been changed in 20,000 miles. Thats why I wondered if the injector seals were going bad.
I also noticed a tapping sound coming from the drivers side valve cover. Could that be oil related as well. Sounds like a lifter or pushrod.
I assume the correct action would be to install a manual pressure guage on the oil resevoir to get actual readings. The assessment in the post that you sent was correct. The oil pressure changes when it warms up after about 5 miles of driving.
Thanks again for your time.
sparkyblink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 03:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyblink View Post
I have noticed that the truck is running a little rough. Would the loss of (2) injectors cause the engine to run rough
Definitely.
Quote:
and cause excessive smoke.
Possibly.
Quote:
Also because the wires on the ipr had melted back, could that be the cause of the oil pressure loss issue.
The IPR is associated with the HP oil system, so wouldn't reallly affect the LP oil system that much. If your repair isn't up to snuff, it may be causing some running issues. The HP oil pressure regulated by the IRP drastically affects how the engine runs.
Quote:
The other thing I noticed was that the oil that was recently changed seemed very dark like it hadn't been changed in 20,000 miles. Thats why I wondered if the injector seals were going bad.
I also noticed a tapping sound coming from the drivers side valve cover. Could that be oil related as well. Sounds like a lifter or pushrod.
I don't think injector seals will cause oil to get dirty quickly. How long had it run before you changed the oil? If the old stuff was really gunky, the 2-3 qts left in the engine (HPOP reservoir and injector oil galleries in the heads) would color the new oil pretty fast. Some guys advocate sucking the old oil out of the HPOP reservoir and refilling with new during an oil change. Can't hurt, but not really necessary, IMO, with normal change intervals.
Quote:
I assume the correct action would be to install a manual pressure guage on the oil resevoir to get actual readings.
That's what I'd do to see for sure what's going on. As I said in the other thread, the gauge is basically 2-position, not a true gauge.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.