7.3 Powerstroke won't start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Powerstroke won't start

I recently had problems getting my 2002, 7.3 stock 4x4 to start. It acted like the GPR which I've replaced three times before. While waiting for the new GPR to arrive I tried to jump the GPR across the big terminals and apparently shorted something out. Once I did that I no longer had any exhaust smoke which I had before (no fuel to the injectors??-its got 3/4 of a tank). Once the new GPR relay arrived, I installed it and it wouldn't start. I checked fuses and found #22 fried. I replace it and the truck started-the engine heater had been plugged in. The truck went 200 feet and died. Since then I have not been able to get it to start. I've recharged the batteries and checked the GPR. The GPR is not working. I'm still not getting fuel. I used a little starting fluid and that would try to start it. I'm thinking I fried my PCM. Any help would be most appreciated.

Last edited by tonygale001; 05-01-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: spelling
tonygale001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
If the tach bounces while u tried to start it, you didn't fry the pcm. Is it really cold where you live? I could see crossing out the starter solenoid, but no the gpr. I'm doubting the gpr was not the cause of your original problem....but you may have created yourself another problem.

Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key over? Can you drain the fuel bowl and it fill up? Did you check all the fuses again after it died the last time?....under the dash and hood.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Information .zip file
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rammertide thks for the response

I checked the fuses under the dash but do not see any under the hood( there are several square plug-ins which I assume are relays-they sit in two boxes near the left fender toward the firewall.

Its about 40 deg here today.

I am seeing no response from the Tach when I try to start.

I'll try to see if the fuel bowl fills back up. I did put a new fuel filter in it and the bowl was full.

Thanks
for the help.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Fuel check

Rammertide,

I checked the fuel into the bowl, (I assume you mean the bowl where the filter goes). I drained the fuel and it did not refill, either when I turned on the ignition or when I rolled the engine.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rammertide07, the tach needle bounce does not work with the 02 or 03 trucks. When they changed over in 02, there are not taking the engine rotation signal from the CPS circuit any longer. 99 to 01, your still in luck. That is the easiest PCM check.
"White Moose", 2001 F-250,XLT,Auto, Super Cab, 4x4. Early PSD, build date: Aug. 16, 2000, no PMR. AIS, AIH delete, Zoodad, CCV mod. (not any more), BTM, GOS headlite harness upgrade, harpooned fuel tank, B&W gooseneck hitch, Firestone air bags. 6.0 Tranny cooler, pillar mount, with Isspro pyro, boost, and tranny temp. Trailer Towing Mirrors, Bilstein Shocks, 03 Clear Headlights, HP Crossover line, DP Tuner F-5 switch: High Idle, 20 hp. tow, 40 hp. tow, 80 hp. tow, 80 hp. econ. drive thru. 200,000+ miles and still running strong. No mech. diode tranny. Changed to the 2002 model ,before it left the dealership. 25 ft. 24k Horse Creek, flat bed gooseneck.
blueknight7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknight7 View Post
Rammertide07, the tach needle bounce does not work with the 02 or 03 trucks. When they changed over in 02, there are not taking the engine rotation signal from the CPS circuit any longer. 99 to 01, your still in luck. That is the easiest PCM check.
Yea, seemed like I heard that before....
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Information .zip file
Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygale001 View Post
Rammertide,

I checked the fuel into the bowl, (I assume you mean the bowl where the filter goes). I drained the fuel and it did not refill, either when I turned on the ignition or when I rolled the engine.

Thanks
The fuses under the hood are in a black box net to where the brake fluid goes. Not sure if there is anything in there would do you any good, but it wouldn't hurt.

If everything elctrical wise checks out, try to check the wiring to the fuel pump. (wish someone else would chime in sometime) If th wiring checks out and you are getting voltage to the pump, I couldn't see it be anything but the pump....unless the pcm is fried since you can't check it with the tach.

Information .zip file
Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks,
l'll check the black boxes and the fuel pumper tonight. Really appreciate the help.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
There's no underhood fuse box on 02 and later trucks, so don't sweat looking for it.

Not sure which fuse # on 02's is the PCM power relay/fuel heater fuse, but you might check that blown #22 again. If it's blown out, then there's a possiblity that your fuel heater has shorted. That'll cause no power to the PCM. You can tell if the PCM is powered up if the lights (brake, WTS, check engine, etc.) come on at the instrument panel when you turn the key on. Without a powered up PCM, nothing else will work, although the starter will still turn over. As a temporary fix, you can pull the connector off the rear driver's side of the fuel bowl, which will disconnect the fuel heater, then replace the fuse.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here

Last edited by klhansen; 05-02-2011 at 04:25 PM.
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Checked the power to the fuel pump by attaching the two leads of the multi-meter to the two leads going into the pump. No voltage either when ignition is turned on or when engine is rolling. I'm getting WTS, engine light, etc when I turn on the ignition.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

I also switched out the PCM relay in the fuse box with another one (rear window defrost which was the same relay number-no difference). Thanks for the help.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Where I'm at

1)No fuel to bowl, Checked fuel pump-no voltage to pump, also changed fuel filter
2)Replaced GPR-voltage to hot side-no voltage to GP side when ignition turns on
3)replaced blown fuse #22 and have since triple checked it with voltmeter
4) Charged batteries-both with full charge
5)Switched relays around-is there a way to check them?

My options as i see them.
A)Fork over the $ for a code reader to see if that helps
B)Replace the PCM as it seems it is the common link with the FP and GPR
c) Tow it in to the repair shop.

Any other ideas or suggestion or comments would be greatly apprciated.

2002 Ford F-250, stock 7.3 Powerstroke, 6spd
Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Success

Turns out I bought a rebuilt PCM and that fixed the problem. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for posting back with the fix. Just curious, where did you get the rebuilt PCM from?

Thanks
88 F250 Lariat/460 - DD & fishing rig
DND58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Having a similar problem- is there a way to have the pcm tested outside the vehicle?
twofords2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.