7.3 quits - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 quits

7.3 D. 2000, 153,000 miles.

Pulling onto interstate after about 3 miles of surface roads and at about 55 mph.... the motor quit. No peddle position helped. Put in neutral, turned switch off and back on and cranked right up... no more issues.

Put in new fuel filter and cleaned (AirRaid) the air filter. Engine seemed happier.

Today, about 1 mile from house, the motor went to about 500 RPM- didnít quit like before. Would not take fuel. Pulled off, put in neutral and then the it would take throttle. No more issues for rest of day.

Only common denominator- <45 degree temperature both times.

Suggestions?
DRMAJOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm guessing the CPS(crankshaft position sensor). Get a new one and put it on. There may be a recall for it if it's never been replaced before. Call your local Ford dealer and give them your VIN.
1997 F350 XLT Crew Cab Dually, 7.3 Powerstroke, 4:10 limited slip, K&N Air Filter, MBRP 4" Turbo back w/muffler, Edge programmer, Billet torque converter, Monster tranny cooler.

2004 Cadillac CTS V 5.7 LS6, Tremec 6 speed,
K&N Cold Air, Magnaflow Exhaust, MSD Ignition,
LS7 clutch, Getrag 3:73 posi-trac, 377 RWHP

Last edited by badbart; 02-01-2013 at 07:47 PM.
badbart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Re: 7.3 quits

If its registering rpms, its not the CPS. That us usually when it cuts completely out then comes back in a second like nothing happened. This is a new one on me but my first guess would be the TPS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Louisiana Powerstroke Owners

Power Stroke Dyno/Tech Site
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Happening again.... at first thought this was a winter issue, i.e., sub- 50 degree. But it was 90 the other day and it dropped to low idle.

put in neutral, turned key off and restarted and it has been fine since.

Totally seems random.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
this sounds stupid but check your oil level,if its really low you can intermittent running issues. I know a guy it happened to
red elc good for 150k
4r100 1-2 2-3 3-4sonnax accumulator valves,.427 sonnax line pressure mod valve
4.125"yes thats 4 1/8" diy tymar intake(size matters...lol)
AIH delete,ccv delete,zoodad mod,
4" exhaust no muff
built my own leafs for 4.0 of lift!!!!!!
18" xd bronze revolvers with 325 nittos to wrap them
isspro pyro and boost guages on pillar mount....
tattoocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Could be the 2 filters in the fuel sending unit inside the fuel tank are clogged. It happened on my 99 with 170xxx. Just a thought.
MWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Like the previous post says....a fuel pressure check may be worth wile. If your running any kind of chip remove it....one of my chips are loaned out to a buddy that had the same problem with his old chip shutting his truck off at random times.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

my guess is you have a chip as well. Id say an edge chip. they are known for doing that. Mine did, edge replaced it with a newer model. Never done it since. Removing the chip will solve it. I did that until my new one came. Also could be the pedal itself. They pack it in too. The pedal is electronic, no cable, and it wears out, and the harnesses fail some times too. Can't remember how to test that, but you can find it here some were.
2002 F350 Super Duty, Crew Cab,Long box,4x4, 7.3 PSD,Full Load, Complete rebuild .010 over by myself except balancing, 2000hp billet connecting rods, ARP main and head studs, ceramic coated pistons, Smith Bros Chrome Molly push rods, Comp Cams springs, shims and seals. Competion complete valve set and head grinding and vacuum tested, DP Tuner Infinity DX programmer and full load of tunes modified for my new Stage 3 250 shot injectors, ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, BD Diesel triple clutch furnace brazed billet torque converter and BD pro engine brake and compressor set up, MBRP 4" stainless turbo back, Driven Diesel regulated fuel return system, AFE pro stage 2 cool air intake, riffraff billet Whicked Wheel 2 compressor wheel in a GTP38R turbo, riffraff blue cooler boot kit and coil clamps, International Double Ceramic Coated Bellowed Up Pipes
1999 Mustang GT Convertible Anniversary, rare stock electric green
2005 Case 580 sm2
2009 40' Raptor Velocity Toy Hauler
Absolute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

No Chip. Used to have HperTech, but took it out long time ago.

Is there a way to trouble shoot the TPS on the pedal w/o replacing the pedal assembly?
Old 08-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

The TPS, aka the APPS on the 7.3L is replaceable, and you can test it with a meter. I would also look at the IVS(micro switch) on the pedal assembly, it needs to click/function before the APPS reading is accepted by the PCM. You can unplug and unbolt the whole pedal assembly it's 3 10mm bolts.
Early 99 F250 XLT,White/Silver,4x4,SC,SB,A/T,PMT1,ARE LSII tonneau,Amp Research power steps,MB Razor's,295-60-20 Nitto Trail Grapplers,Rhino Liner,Rancho9000's,Bushwacker Street Flares,DP-Tuner F5,True-Cool Max,AFE modified-W.D.RamAir,5"Hypermax exhaust,Hypermax DP,Firestone Ride-Rites,2.5" front leveling leafs,AutoMeter-ProComps/triple pillar,heated TTT mirrors,DEI remote start,Amsoil enhanced.
Rich D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks.

This is intermittent, so must be a slightly loose connector, corroded wire, and etc. I live on the coast.

Is there a suggested resistance I should get from what contacts?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

7.3 quits

Actually, the 7.3 goes to low idle with no throttle response. Most of the time I can put in neutral and recrank. The other day, I had to pull over, stop, put in park, and then recrank.

I contacted Dorman and they say they do not now have the TPS for the 2000 7.3.

Any suggestions on where to get one????
Is there another sensor at the peddle?

Part number to purchase?
Old 10-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

I was going to write a thread but clicked on this one and started reading.
I'm experiencing a similiar problem. It doesn't happen around town, only on the highway.....cruising at 50-60-70mph, when wanting to accelerate the throttle is unresponsive all the way down till I hit the kickdown switch for the trans, then it takes off. Gives no other symptoms.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFACTOR View Post
I was going to write a thread but clicked on this one and started reading.
I'm experiencing a similiar problem. It doesn't happen around town, only on the highway.....cruising at 50-60-70mph, when wanting to accelerate the throttle is unresponsive all the way down till I hit the kickdown switch for the trans, then it takes off. Gives no other symptoms.
Your issue sounds like an accelerator pedal position sensor issue as well. It's a 3-wire potentiometer, so if you unplug it, you can check resistance between center and each of the outside pins, the resistance should change smoothly as you stroke the pedal.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

drove it last night, and tried something new when it was acting up, I used the cruise control to accelerate and it was fine. I think your right about the pedal sensor, thanks!
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.