7.3 serpentine belt replacement - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 serpentine belt replacement

My 1999 7.3 has 104,000 miles on it and am pretty sure the serpentine belt has never been changed. There are no visible cracks in it but wondering if I should change it to be safe. I am not really sure how to do this and would appreciate any help.
scorpio19367 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (4)
The belt is around $35 at my local online ford dealer. Easy to change, just take the tension off the belt by the tensioner, take the old one out and route the new one. Get it all routed and crank the tensioner back over, slide the belt on and you are done. Your 99 should have the old style upper radiator hose that routes behind the belt at the alternator, if not you will have to remove the hose off the radiator to do this. Run it and make sure everything looks good. You are now done have a cold one!
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
and if you happen to have the newer style radiator hose that routes through the belt, you can replace the hose with the older or dual alternator styhle hose that goes around the belt.

2002 F250 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab PSD Shadow Grey/Black
BD X-Monitor, BD Pressure-Loc, SCMT(80),AFE Magnum, 2.5"leveling and 4" block, Bilsteins, Retrax, LineX, Oilguard, MBRP 4" SS, Moto Metal 950 18x9, Toyo A/T 325/60/18, 05 front end w/Harleys, KC 05 light kit w/3 driving lights.
Tallavana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Keep your old belt in the truck as a 'highway spare', you never know what could happen on the road.
'00 Excursion Limited- 4" lift, Vcodes/F350 block, 315/75/16's, airbags, ATS ported housing, Riffraff's FRx, HPx & I/C boot kit, DiPricol Optix- Pyro/Boost/Trans, DP Tuner-80tow, Drive-Thru, 80econo, 120race, 4" MBRP, 6637, 6.0 I/C, AIH delete, Foil delete, Auto Enginuity .
locknload223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm having a trial just trying to loosen the tension on the tensioner. What is the best practice???
Old 04-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

On my 2002 I just stick a 1/2in drive breaker bar in the relief and pull or push till the belt loosens, I also have my son help, an extra set of hands helps.........

I also like to use Goodyear Gatorbacks belts......

2002 F-250 XLT CC SB\HPX\ITP prepump mod\Harpoon\DI 65psi fuel shim\4" SS turbo back Magnaflow\Fumoto\FTVB\Edge Evolution2\Zoodad\2008 Diff cover\V-10 Transmission cooler
fddriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Not for sure on a 1996 but the 99-03 you just insert a 1/2" breaker bar into the tensioner and crank opposite of the belt. (CCW) IIRC. They are usually a little tight but a good 18-24" bar is enough to allow you to overcome the spring tension from the tensioner. Then slide the belt off of any one of the pulleys you can reach while holding the breaker bar. Much easier with a third hand.
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcgruhlke View Post
I'm having a trial just trying to loosen the tension on the tensioner. What is the best practice???
Pull the breaker bar towards the passenger side to release the pressure on the belt, then just slide it off the pulleys. To install, get it on everywhere else, then pull again and wrap around the pulley and tensioner, and release. Then make sure it's on all the wheels straight, especially the grooved ones, and you're done.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone, I hadn't attempted this before and the instructions with my Ford CD shop manual gave me a different impression. I used the breaker bar with 15mm socket on the relief pulley and pushed to the passenger side of the truck and what do you know, it worked! Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Touchette
Note the Tensioner has a 1/2 inch drive hole that allows a breaker bar to remove the tension off the belt. Also on the tensioner is a small stamped steel bar about an inch long with a spring that allows you to latch the tensioner to the loose belt postition. It is on the bottom of the tensioner and as you pull the breaker bar you can slide this tensioner catch into position to hold that tension. This makes replacing the Serpentine belt much easier. Once you have routed the new belt properly take your 1/2 inch breaker bar and apply leverage as you did originally and the stamped steel retainer will spring load off the catch. Relieve the tension slowly with the breaker bar and the job should be complete.
2002 F-350 CRW DRW PSD Larriat, 4" Down Pipe 5" Airlow Inc Pipe and shorty muffler, autometer full pillar guages, AFE 2 Magnum intake, DI six pos chip, DI Fuel Reg Mod, #8 Inj AD, Front and Rear Hitches, Suv Lights harnesses, White Night backup lights, P&E Tonneau, Tail Gate Guard, Husky mats splash guards and burl dash set, Mag hyTec trans pan diff covers, TTM, Oil Pan Heater, Oil Guard Bypass filter, Several Brite Lyte mods, On Board Air Comp, Optima Batteries, PW Harness, Heater mod and Bob Riley Diesel stuff throughout.
New decals and Badges, Sonnax Valve/Tricumulator Springs, Dahl Fuel Filter, Fuel tank mods. Ball Bearing Turbo. NON-EBV Pedestal, Gutted EBV Outlet, Difuser Doggle, Intake Heater Delete with that little wire and diode thingy, Ceramic Coated Bellowed UpPipes, RiffRaff Diesel Intake Manifold Inserts, F-650 Lower Dashboard. Thinking of putting Solar Panels on the cab roof and calling it a Hybrid.
Touchette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

When I replaced my alternator(ridiculously easy) I just pulled out on the belt and removed it off the alternator by hand. Was surprisingly easy to do.

Single alternator btw.
2006 VW Jetta TDI

Last edited by DR.billZ; 03-08-2010 at 04:40 PM.
DR.billZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.billZ View Post
When I replaced my alternator(ridiculously easy) I just pulled out on the belt and removed it off the alternator by hand. Was surprisingly easy to do.

Single alternator btw.
You might want to check your tensioner. I've found that trying to pull on the belt like that usually results in pinched fingers. Sounds to me like your tensioner has lost it's tension.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Agreed. If you can pull it off over the lip by hand with DESTROYING either the belt or your hands, there's not enough tension there.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
billz, maybe the alternator was fine, just not enough tension on the belt to turn it?
2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, Fully gaged, Cold air intake mods beyond zoodad, Stacked tuners, 4" Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 295/75/16 BFG ATs on 8" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, otherwise mostly stock.
24' 5th wheel camping trailer, no RV parks...just the woods.
69mach1377 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

I just replaced my alternator at 120,000 miles. While I was at it, I replaced the belt tensioner, the idler pulley and the serpentine belt. I put the old tensioner and idler and belt in the back as road spares.

2000 Excursion Ltd 7.3 PSD
2000 E350 Super Duty 7.3 PSD
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.