7.3 white smoke, rough idle - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 white smoke, rough idle

Hey guys, we have an early '99 7.3L psd work truck with 220K on it. It was running perfect until a couple days ago. The truck started running rough and blowing white smoke. My first thought is low compression from bad rings but I have never seen one go from great to horrible in a day. My experience is that "usually" they will gradually become worse and worse until failure. Well, this one has no power now and actually died in an intersection yesterday while pulling a small trailer. If you remove the oil fill cap when its idling, it blows a steady puff, puff, puff, puff of white smoke out the oil fill tube like its missing badly. The guys took it to a "shade tree" shop who said it has low compression in #5 but I'm not sure they really checked it..

Could this be a bad injector dumping fuel, causing the white smoke? I know white smoke is un-atomized diesel fuel which = BAD I have seen trucks with bad injectors blow white smoke though.. So before we spend the money for a tear down / re-buiild, I would like to have more accurate diagnosis.

Bad HPOP?

I would like to do a compression check myself, I just don't have the gauges to do it.. (Might be time to get some) Where / what brand do you suggest?

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks guys!

'02, 7.3L PSD 6spd F350 4x4 DRW CC
Mods: IH Bellowed Up-pipes, 4" MBRP Turbo Back Exh, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Michelin LTX A/T2 235/85R16's and Schaeffer's Oil

Last edited by Muddinf2501999; 06-18-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Muddinf2501999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Sounds like a good time to invest in AutoEnginuity.

I think I'd do that, or at least borrow an AE setup from a buddy before tearing into it. It could be as simple as a bad IPR or ICP causing low HP oil pressure.

If you get as deep as pulling the VC's for a compression check, I got a compression gauge from an internet tool supplier for around $50 for the whole setup. Gauge and GP adapter that snaps onto the gauge with a quick connect.
Star Products TU-15P Compression Tester - Compression / Press Test
Star Products TU-15-22A Compression Tester - Compression / Press Test
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info!

Would the code scanners at Napa, Autozone etc be able to diagnose an ICP, or IPR problem? Or does it require a more in depth version such as the AE scanner. I don't know anyone close by with a scanner other than a parts store like mentioned..

I will try to get the codes scanned tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Mods: IH Bellowed Up-pipes, 4" MBRP Turbo Back Exh, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Michelin LTX A/T2 235/85R16's and Schaeffer's Oil
Old 06-18-2008, 01:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

My truck starting smoking real bad and then lost power. The oil quantity was also increasing. I had to put in new injectors and a fuel pump. I found that most of the injectors had bad o rings. My truck also has 220k on it. The people I talked for help said with that many miles change the injectors not just the o rings.

Can't say for sure this is your problem but it sounds similar to me.
2002 EX 4x2 Amsoil front to back with Amsoil oil bypass filtration, Cyclone Power fan, HX oil line, Dieselsite prepump and tank mods, local high performance transmission, MagHytec pans,MBRP 4" exhaust, AFE Stage II, BD EBV exhaust brake, Bright Box, Diesel Turbo Life Saver, Dieselsite 6pos. chip, Trans, EGT, Pyro and water temp gauges, Dieselsite tranny cooler, Dieselsite 203dg t-stat, Dieselsite AIH plug, rerout ccv, Coolant filter, Firestone Ride Rites, hellwig rear sway bar, Garrett BB turbo. Dieselsite hpop filter, Auto Enginuity program. Dieselsite Adrenaline hpop.
skibarefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well, I had the codes read at Napa. No codes at all. No check engine light either.

It seems like its time to check compression. Any other suggestions before I check the compression? The napa code reader only worked while the truck was off so I don't know if it was an accurate reading or not...

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Most of the places that will read your codes for free don't have scan tools that work on a PSD. So you didn't gain any information there. Could still have codes there that will tell you where to start troubleshooting.

First thing I'd try would be to pull the wiring connector off the ICP sensor when it's running. If it clears up, then check the sensor wiring and fix it, or replace the sensor.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok, I will do that in the morning. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Most of the places that will read your codes for free don't have scan tools that work on a PSD. So you didn't gain any information there. Could still have codes there that will tell you where to start troubleshooting.

First thing I'd try would be to pull the wiring connector off the ICP sensor when it's running. If it clears up, then check the sensor wiring and fix it, or replace the sensor.
Ok, I pulled the ICP plug off the sensor with it running and for a split second you could hear a very very slight change in the idle but it went right back to the same rough idle. Then I plugged the sensor back in with it running and there was no change at all. I noticed that the snap on the harness is broken off so I was able to just pull the plug out very easy. I think the "Shop" the guys took the truck to must have broken that clip and not said anything.. However, it was running bad before they looked at it so I dont think the broken clip is hurting anything at the moment. I tried it a second time by plugging it back in with the truck off and then starting it again and pulling it off. The second time there was no change in the idle at all.

I spoke with the guy who took the truck to the shop about what exactly they said. The shop told him that "The passenger side rear injecor was stuck open which dumped fuel in the cylinder washing out the rings which has caused bad compression in that cylinder." He fixed or replaced the injector but the damage was done. I don't know how credible this shop is but it sounds like a logical explanation. The truck has had a tough life of pulling heavy loads and being driven by many different employees so maybe 220K is not bad but I have never seen a 7.3 lose compression that soon...

Thanks!

Last edited by Muddinf2501999; 07-02-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well, its toast!

Need a long block if anyone knows where to locate one that would be a big help!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Anyone? Suggestions? I have been looking on some sites but have not found what I'm looking for yet..

Old 07-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

You can't rebuild the engine? Thats got to be a good alternative to buying a used engine.
New truck: 2002 PSD 4x4, CC, XLT, F350 dually. Air bags, 6.0 trans cooler, Fleetrite ELC, ISSPRO guages, DB HT starter (no more), Superchips 1705 tuner, Reese Titan, AIS, IPT pre-pump filter kit, in-tank mods, Redhead steering box.

Old truck: 2000 PSD 4x4, ext cab, XLT, F-350, auto, V-code springs, air bags, coolant filter, 203 thermostat, Fleetrite ELC, DB Alternator, DB high-torque starter, Tru-cool Max-cool trans cooler, B&M trans temp gauge, 47 gallon Titan tank, IPT pre-pump filter kit.
dlblazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

I need to put a pencil to it but I thought it would be much more expensive to do a rebuild by the time you get the machine work done, rebuild kit etc. I do like the idea of knowing what I'm getting with that option but I don't know how much that would cost.

Does anyone have an estimated cost for doing a rebuild on it? (Machine work, rebuild kit, assembly, etc.) We're going to do the tear down / install

Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Hey bud if u haven't figgured it out yet. Try the injector o rings they allways gobad and cause white smoke from the exhaust .that's usualy the main prob with the 7.3 . And wthe white smoke is called blow back and it is common on the older dieseils with high miles and that have had a hard life. My 95 250 psd has it to u can't realy get it fixed unless u get new rings or a new motor . But if u got it fixed . Sweet deal !b
norcalevi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddinf2501999 View Post
Well, its toast!
Did I miss something? What happened??? What caused it to be toast?
Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, CCV Canister Style Mod, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, Hella 80/100s, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny, 26 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.
losfinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.