7.3 wont turn over - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 wont turn over

Hey i have a 2000 f-250 7.3. I parked the truck last night everything was working fine it has brand new batterys, but when i woke in the morning to start it nothing would happen it wouldn't even try to turn over. It kept blowing #20 fuse (starter motor relay coil, clutch switch). I figured there was a short in the starter so i replaced it and it didn't fix it. Next i checked the starter solenoid, while checking to make sure everything was tight i grounded it out and it tried to crank so i figured that was my problem. I put a new one on and that wasnt the problem either. I'm all out of ideas any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Last edited by 2000powerstroken; 12-14-2011 at 10:13 PM.
2000powerstroken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

What exactly grounded out? The case? The typical test is to use a voltmeter and see if you are getting 12v+ to the small lead on the fender mounted solenoid when you turn the key. If not, you have to find out why.

As a side test, run a jumper cable from the + side of the battery to that small post on the fender mounted solenoid. You should hear a click and the starter should engage. If it doesn't, you got a bad solenoid or starter.

Back to the 12+ on the small lead. Two main reasons you wouldn't get power would be neutral safety switch (part of the digital transmission range sender) and the ignition switch itself. You don't mention if its an auto or standard, so I'm assuming auto until you say different. Try starting in neutral or jiggle the gear selector around while you have the key in the start position. If that helps, replace the dtrs, if not - the switch.

In the meantime, to get it started, you should be able to put the key in the run position and then jump to the small post on the solenoid to crank it.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
actually, jiggle the gear selector in the p position while having the key in the crank position. There are two bolts that come loose from time to time down the steering column where the shift lever is attached to a lever (It's torx bolts, I think T25) You can find them when you lay on the floor, look from the pedals up towards the steering wheel and wiggle the gear selector level. Because they get loose, your gear selector is not on the switch that signals the PCM that you are in P position. So to prevent the starting of the engine while in gear, the PCM does not allow to crank. If this is it, it is an easy fix and costs nothing.
AE: southern Vancouver Island, B.C. or wherever I go.
Cedric: 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Zebra, 5spd. trans. 4WD, 4.0l (for sale)
Jeep: 2002 Jeep TJ Sport 5spd. 4.0l, bone stock, garage find super mint condition.
Camper: 2012 Palamino Maverick 8801
eriol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for all yalls input, today while looking at the neutral safety switch i noticed the drive shaft had ate up a bunch of wires that had fell down.
2000powerstroken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.