The Diesel Stop banner

7.3L Continuing Issues

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Googs 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 F250 with a 7.3 that I am continuing to fight with. The truck has 400K+ miles on it and I don't have much history on it other than a few maintenance receipts that were in the glove box when I purchased it. The symptoms are hard starting when cold (below 50F) and random stalls at idle. If I plug the truck in it will start without too much trying. So far I have replaced the glow plugs, The glow plug relay with the giant one from dieselorings. I have verified that the relay is working and keeps the GPs on for 2 minutes when cold etc. I have replaced the injectors with rebuilt units. I did find a couple of the injectors had o-rings that looked to be deteriorated. I figured this might have been causing the stalling issue with a loss of HPOP pressure. Apparently this was not the case. One of the rebuild injectors was giving me an intermittent P1275 error which I replaced with a spare injector that I had. That error has gone away since the replacement. The stalling and starting issues continue to persist. The stalling will happen maybe once in a 30 minute trip. It always seems to happen at the worst possible time (slowing down and turning when I need brakes and PS the most). I will be going back in this weekend to replace the injector with the rebuilt unit. I will also go through and check the glow plugs again since it has been about 8 months since I replaced them. Any ideas? I do have AE with the Ford package. It does not seem to be setting any codes at this time. :|

#2 ·
check the big harness going over the drivers valve cover for chaffed wires, check the pigtails on the IPR and ICP, check the tin nut on the back of the IPR for looseness.

#3 ·
CPS will cause intermittent symptoms.
DENNY

#4 ·
I forgot to mention that I replaced the CPS with the NAPA one. I also put the ferric beads on the power lines to the wiper system. I have the Ford purple one as well but have not installed that one. There appears to be no worn wiring in the harness that goes over the drivers side valve cover. verify the connections to the ICP and IPR this weekend.

#8 ·
I finished swapping out the glowplugs today. It looks like 5 of the 8 were defective. 1 of the 8 had gone to a dead short and damaged the valve cover gasket harness. 5 of 8 dead in 8 months. That's crazy. It is making a bit of a noise since the injector replacement but it is not setting a code. I will drive it a bit and hopefully the stalling issue might be resolved. I grabbed an ICP and IPR just in case. If the stalling persists I will go ahead and replace them.

#9 ·
For glow plugs, OEM are the best. The other brand do not last as long.

For your stalling issue, try your other CPS (dark blue) and see if it fix the issue. The NAPA cps is good but it cause some random stalling issue to some truck (depending your aftermarket stuff) i try the napa cps for almost a year but i had stalling issue each time i was touching something in the truck

For your injectors, did you get them flow tested? This would be a good idea if you have to go back and play under the valve cover

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
Yan7gin, the Napa CPS isn't any good , but the Elchins CPS will go better in these trucks .
If you search Dieselnicks threads you'll find better info and part numbers.
Just remember any electrical interference you have from after market gear you could have stall problems.
Keep an eye on ebay for an original black CPS if there is any left in the world.

#15 ·
I though the Elchins was the NAPA one... the one I have say NAPA ECHLIN on the box and number are M12277 and CSS1103

#11 ·
The truck still takes a bit of cranking but fires right up without and intermittent sputtering. I purchased a new starter but decided to address some battery cable issues before installing. That made the existing starter crank over much faster. I will include photos. I will also include a photo of the giant GP relay. Now the only problems appear to be the replacement replacement injector is not setting a code but appears to not be working. This weekend I will be installing my spare injector back in the motor and hopefully forgetting about it. I was wondering if the reason it takes ~20 seconds of cranking for it to fire up might be if oil is draining out of the HPOP and it needs to fill up before it fires up. Is this normal? As far as the random stalling issue goes I think my culprit might be my aftermarket radio. The radio is essentially an Android tablet. It has WiFi and Bluetooth. I will be switching to the dark blue CPS tonight to see if that resolves that issue.

Attachments

#13 ·
Did you install new cables or just new lugs and military terminals?

Thanks for following up with the report on the Motorcraft Blue CPS.

#16 ·
They must sell two types of CPS's , i ordered one from RR in which Clay had purchased it for me, when i received it it was in a different box to what Nick had told me , i don't remember the part number , but it was the wrong one, i know this because Nick had emailed me and let me know.

So after a month or so Nick went to Napa and purchased two Elchins CPS's and sent me, iirc the part number for those ones was the number you had posted (CSS11033)(not this number M12277) i'll have to check that .

Those two CPS's that Nick sent me did say Napa on the box and Elchins CCS1103 i think , tomorrow i'll go through my spares and check that number.
I stand corrected it does say Napa on the Elchins box , but the number is CCS1103/M14296, the last number is different to the one you quoted, see in photo.

The 4th photo is the CPS that Clay purchased for me from Napa, the 5th photo is showing the large hall sensor which is the same size as the original Black CPS, but doesn't put out the same reading so there for in my opinion it's not much good ,i didn't test the two in the 4th photo.

Here's a couple of photos.

Attachments

#17 ·
#18 ·
An original black CPS shows up on Ebay every once in awhile...in fact, there is one on there right now.

$175 or Best Offer IIRC.

I can act as special courier for any Tasmanian deliveries :winking:

Reactions: yan7gin
#19 ·
I'm thinking the freight alone would be more that the cost of the CPS. :grin2:
Thanks for the thought.:smile2:

Reactions: ArcticDriver
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.