7.3L leaking oil - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L leaking oil

Hey guys, my 7.3 has been leaving small penny size drops of oil on the garage floor for a bit now. I just got home from a short drive and noticed it's now not little spots but kind of a mess now. It looks like it's coming down the passenger side, it's all over the starter etc. The top of the engin is very clean, no crap or grease on anything. I crawled up near the turbo and noticed back behind everything there is a bunch of crap all over everything. Would that likely be the turbo or HPOP? What's the best way to narrow it down, is it something an Amateure mechanic can handel or do I need to bring it to the shop? I've built many a gasser for toys so I'm not scared to look into it, but I don't want to get into something way over my head...

Thanks guys!

2004 Excursion 6.0L PSD 115k, 4x4 Stock.
ddevore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

This should keep you busy. There is a part 2 to this video also . . .

Check your wiring harness: Chaffed wiring at driver's valve cover.

Keep everyone (and yourself) updated:7.3 mileage and repair thread

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
ReefBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks - I just saw this a little down the thread and it looks like a great place to start. Time to soak it in purple power and have a couple of beers!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've been digging around and found two things. The first is on the HPOP, the line closest to the front of the truck has some minor seepage, but everything looks dry like it's not leaking much. The place I'm finding oil is just below the big hose going from the air filter to the turbo. It's wet below that line... Since this is on the drivers side would it leak down the other side of the motor?

Thanks again guys!

Old 12-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddevore View Post
I've been digging around and found two things. The first is on the HPOP, the line closest to the front of the truck has some minor seepage, but everything looks dry like it's not leaking much. The place I'm finding oil is just below the big hose going from the air filter to the turbo. It's wet below that line... Since this is on the drivers side would it leak down the other side of the motor?

Thanks again guys!

When you say 'the big hose', do you mean the air inlet to the turbo, or the 1/2" hose that connects to the bottom of that?

There are 3 plugs on each of the heads, ones at the front, one in the middle and one at the back. They all have o-rings that can go bad. I replaced most of them a few months ago and it made a huge difference. The one in the middle is underneath the air inlet to the turbo . . . that could be it . . .

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Great video.
EARLY 99' F350 7.3 CC 4X4 LB. DRW. AUTOMETER BOOST, PYRO, TRANS TEMP, WATER TEMP, FUEL & AIR PRESSURE - AIS INTAKE - 4" SS MBRP TURBO BACK - JOHN WOOD TRANS - 6.0 TRANS COOLER - CCV MOD - DP TUNER STOCK, DECEL, 20T, 40T, 60T, 80E, 120 RACE - OPTIMA BATTERIES - SUPERLIFT FRONT-END LEVELING KIT - 35" BFG A/T - 2" REAR SPACERS - DUAL FRONT RANCHO RX9000 - UPGRADED POST 99' 10MM HUB ASSY'S - SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS - ORU/MAG-HYTEC TRANS PAN & DIFFERENTIAL COVERS - ITP SS HP-X - ITP REGULATED RETURN - HEATER BYPASS VALVE - AIRDOG - DIESELSITE COOLANT FILTER - DIESELSITE 203* TS WITH BILLET HOUSING - AMSOIL DUAL BYPASS - DIESELSITE EXTERNAL TRANS FILTER - FUMOTO VALVE - DC PERF 190 AMP ALTERNAOR - ONBOARD AIR - HORN BLASTERS - TOW 37' 5ER WEEKEND WARRIOR 15K WET W/ALL THE TOYS ON BOARD.
demoes4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

No Start condition

Hey guys, the other night I cleaned the crap out of everything to find the leak... I fired the truck up and backed her into the garage and things were OK.

I got lazy and did not need to go anywhere during the holidays and left the truck in the garage.

Today I went to fire up and it kicked off OK but within seconds the idle got rougher and rougher. I killed it and refired a few times with the same results. Then it quit firing.

I checked the fuel bowl and it has fuel, I swapped the CPS with a known one for good measure. I checked the relays with no problems... Any thoughts on what to check before sending her to the mechanic? I've got the stuff to check fuel pressure on a gasser if it works...

I did spray a little WD40 (probably should not) into the intake and it ran at a low RPM for a few seconds. To me it sounds like a fuel problem now, but why would a clean down cause this?

Thanks for any more info guys!

Old 12-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Did you bump the ICP sensor or the IPR. Check to see that the tin nut on the IPR is on.

What did you clean it with?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

The presence of fuel in the fuel bowl doesn't mean it is at the right pressure . . . definitely worth checking if you have the gauge. A 100psi gauge will do it.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91diesel View Post
Did you bump the ICP sensor or the IPR. Check to see that the tin nut on the IPR is on.

What did you clean it with?

I'll check, I used pool acid (kidding - simple green).

Dennis

Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post
The presence of fuel in the fuel bowl doesn't mean it is at the right pressure . . . definitely worth checking if you have the gauge. A 100psi gauge will do it.
I'll see what we have here, most are for carb boats / rods...

Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

It's alive

Looks like in my quest to fix a $300 leak I caused $450 damage I hosed the ICP sensor when I was cleaning the engine to find the leak... Thanks to the Truck Shop in Temecula for cleaning up after me .

Old 12-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Don't feel too bad about the ICP sensor. The stock part had a high failure rate with many of them developing a leaky internal diaphragm. You might have needed a new one, anyway. Your new replacement part is more reliable than the stock part.

2000 F-350 CC Lariat PSD 4x4, AIS, AIC, BTM, Isspro EV2 gages, manual TC lockup, manual EBPV control, GPR LED monitor, DP-Tuner F6 with Drive-Thru, 60tow, Decel, 60econo, 80econo, 168k miles

1975 FJ-40 Land Cruiser, 350TBI, Muncie 465 trans, ARBs, York on-board air, 4-link rear suspension, Blazer tilt column, Mazda sport buckets, full roll cage, towed on 18' Big Tex trailer

1975 Denver Broncos Special Edition Ford Bronco
Victor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks Victor - I'll tell the wife .

Quick question, would something like an AutoEnginuity have helped to figure out the problem? I'm pretty handy, but when it won't start and I'm staring at a bunch of sensors and what not it's a bit hard to toubleshoot... Also, if anyone knows if I buy the software do I need the ford add on package for the 7.3/6.0 diesels (I have both).

Thanks again everyone!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yes to both of your questions.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.