7.3L Oil Pan - The Truth ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L Oil Pan - The Truth ?

Yes, my oil pans leaking pretty bad, rusted pretty good in several spots (2002 7.3L, just turned over 290k miles). Saving some sheckles to have the motor pulled for the whole replacement project etc...

My question to youz guys way, way more knowledgeable than me is : how and why does this happen ?? Everyone Ive asked has a different answer. Some guys SWEAR that the 99-to early 2000s 7.3's all had a batch of defective oil pans (that Ford somehow damaged or left out in the rain or somehow poorly manufactured or something .....) and that they're rusting FROM THE INSIDE OUT, and some guys say that its just rusting from the outside in and is a design flaw.

[ How the hell could they rust from the inside out when they're coated in oil all the time ??? ]

Does anyone know the real deal?

Thanx ;-)

Guess I fall into the "High Mileage" categories now ...
micp1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
IT'S THE SALT THEY USE ON THE ROADS!!

There's no way they rust from the inside out. It may look like it, but trust me, it's the salt.

Because it's too cold to use salt up here, they use something else. The oil pan I pulled off my engine with the cracked block is in fine shape. There's a couple of tiny blemishes from rust up near the top, but otherwise it's totally sound.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

My Photos: (19)
Send a message via Yahoo to redcell6613
Salt for sure, I'm in NW Jersey also. Plus I'm sure what type of surface you park on regularly can't help. I park on gravel that is covered from above all day by dense trees....after it rains that driveway is damp for days.

Klhansen.....Has anyone ever tried making an oil pan out of some other type of material?
2002 F350 Lariat LE Dually 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L, 4.10 gears, GTP38-R, Stage 1's, Custom Tunes, MBRP exhaust w/ stacks, 11 ISSPRO gauges, F-650 lower dash, Oil / Coolant / Tranny bypass filters, S&B Intake, Marinco Mod, Custom hydroboost remote filter / reservoir system, HPX, FRX, Bilsteins and Mag-hytec Rear / Front Diff Covers, 6.0L trans cooler / power steering cooler, Pioneer touchscreen with Alpine speakers all the way around.

1999 F350 XLT Dually 4x4 Cab & Chassis Flatbed 7.3L, 3.73 gears, ZF6, GTP-38R, S&B Intake, Custom Tunes, MBRP Exhaust w/ stacks, EBY Body, Midwest short throw shifter, Marinco Mod, Oil / Coolant / Power Steering bypass filters.

2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 Eddie Bauer Edition
6.0 Liter:
Stock so far except for Super Duty mirrors.
redcell6613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Because it's too cold to use salt up here, they use something else. The oil pan I pulled off my engine with the cracked block is in fine shape.
Too cold for salt? I've never heard of such a thing. Of course where I'm from they don't use any salt on the road either. If it ices here, we just wait until tomorrow and it's all gone. We just stay home for the day.

No rust on my oil pan at 407,000 miles and my 99 didn't have any rust on it's oil pan either when it got wrecked at 100k miles. I agree, it's the salt.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
F350_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

My Photos: (19)
Send a message via Yahoo to redcell6613
Ha ha you Texans are lucky.
In the North East keeping an oil pan and cab corners and rocker panels in stock at home is a must...lol
2002 F350 Lariat LE Dually 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L, 4.10 gears, GTP38-R, Stage 1's, Custom Tunes, MBRP exhaust w/ stacks, 11 ISSPRO gauges, F-650 lower dash, Oil / Coolant / Tranny bypass filters, S&B Intake, Marinco Mod, Custom hydroboost remote filter / reservoir system, HPX, FRX, Bilsteins and Mag-hytec Rear / Front Diff Covers, 6.0L trans cooler / power steering cooler, Pioneer touchscreen with Alpine speakers all the way around.

1999 F350 XLT Dually 4x4 Cab & Chassis Flatbed 7.3L, 3.73 gears, ZF6, GTP-38R, S&B Intake, Custom Tunes, MBRP Exhaust w/ stacks, EBY Body, Midwest short throw shifter, Marinco Mod, Oil / Coolant / Power Steering bypass filters.

2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 Eddie Bauer Edition
6.0 Liter:
Stock so far except for Super Duty mirrors.
redcell6613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcell6613 View Post
Klhansen.....Has anyone ever tried making an oil pan out of some other type of material?
Not for a Diesel that I know of, but a lot of the smaller engines use aluminum. I know that a 2000 Explorer 4.0L has an aluminum pan, because I hauled one to/from the wrecking yard for another TDS member. IIRC my daughter's 94 Mazda PU has one as well.

Aluminum isn't a cure-all for corrosion though, it just takes a bit longer to rot thru because of the thickness.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In my 35+ years of being under hoods and engines, I can say I have seen very few oil pans that weren't steel. Seems to me it's just too easy for them to stamp 'em out cheap and fast.

Answered on my iPhone.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
RT

The new 6.7 diesel has a composite plastic oil pan...
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
The new 6.7 diesel has a composite plastic oil pan...
I did not know that. Makes some sense - at least it won't corrode.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have to admit, I've spent the last 15 years in the Lone Star state as well but I don't understand how it can ever be too cold for salt. I will tell you, having driven many miles in the cold northern region of this country, I learned quickly that you needed to rinse your truck frequently when traveling through those regions because of the chemicals they started put on the roads to inhibit the formation of ice. Whatever it is that they use nowadays will eat up your vehicle and many times I've had trailer wiring screwed up if I didn't rinse the grime off soon enough.

Ask any big truck driver (tractor trailer driver) who drives in those areas and they'll tell you that the chemicals put on roads today will eat your truck up.

Member #4,587

1999 F350 XLT crewcab 3 inch body lift, 8 inch suspension lift. Edge Evolution programmer. AFE cold air intake. 37 inch tires. Pics are in link below.

1996 F350 XLT crewcab dually, (RIP) pulled a 50+3' step deck trailer and 30' cow trailer.
Pictures of it's death can be seen in link below.

My Pics

I PREFER DANGEROUS FREEDOM TO PEACEFUL SLAVERY-Thomas Jefferson

Remainder of signature deleted for political correctness violations
RopinandRidin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

oil pan rust

It was simply a cost decision to use a material that was less expensive than say a higher strength than what was chosen. The draw depth may have also been a big factor in the stamping process. Those plus a poor (e-coat) surface prep and the results are what we see on our trucks in the field. Material thickness makes a difference and maybe since Intl was the supplier their testing was not run out to a cycle equivalent to our usage (10+ years). Many test cycles are also run in a lab, which may not emulate our use profile. The around the clock test track never allows the components to go thru heat/cooling like we put them thru in our daily use.
Aluminum is not a solution because it corrodes just differently. Aluminum is used in cars for two reasons neither being corrosion. The first reason is structural to make the engine block stiffer for our front drive vehicle designs. The second reason is to reduce vehicle weight to improve fuel economy. BUT, cost is BIG. And when the cost reductions are demanded by management the customer is forgotten.
In my opinion the BIG mistake made by Ford was the failure to make 'design for service' a first priority.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

When you make a vehicle the size of the F series and put an engine into it the size of the 7.3 Engineers have to make compromises. Get it in and make it work first, engineer for maintenance and service lower on the priority list.
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
Oneof6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

Red face "Built Ford Tough"

Maybe "Built Ford Tough
means tough to work on!

Another comment on "Serviceability".
Many of the engineers tasked with designing today's products have never gotten their hands dirty or actually removed and replaced a component part for which they had the design responsibility.

I sprayed my oil pan with a product called CORROSION X to abate the rusting. It may help prolong the pan life but maybe I started too late. If your pan is in bad shape I would be careful poking or scraping it, just soak it down with a rust stop product to help slow the corrosion. The dip stick tube is also another part that is susceptible to rotting away. If you look at your dipstick tube and want to change it spray a penetrating "KROIL" or similar around the flange at the pan to loosen it up before you attempt to remove it from the pan. Many times it cannot be removed without damaging the pan, then you are in BIG trouble, and have to have the pan replaced.
The garage where I had some work done was pulling the cab off a F-350 (18 hour job) to replace the oil pan. They lifted the body on the hoist and rolled the chassis back and used a cherry picker to raise the engine high enough to remove the pan. This is no job for the inexperienced! The pan gasket is "Form in Place" and there is a critical time between when you apply the sealant to the part to when you slap it into place. Wait too long and the sealant will skin over and "then probably leak". Big job. Probably good idea to have a helper and use guide pins to place the pan accurately onto the cylinder block.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopinandRidin View Post
I have to admit, I've spent the last 15 years in the Lone Star state as well but I don't understand how it can ever be too cold for salt.
Consider that the triple point temperature of ice, salt and water is zero F. So if the ambient temperature is below zero (fairly common in Alaska), then the salt won't have any affect on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopinandRidin View Post
Ask any big truck driver (tractor trailer driver) who drives in those areas and they'll tell you that the chemicals put on roads today will eat your truck up.
Can'd disagree with that. They use some pretty nasty chemicals. Back when I was working for the Air Force, I went to a Corrosion Control course at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio, and we estimated the cost of corrosion. Pretty eye opening, for sure. The instructor's favorite comment was about them using the "Free World's supply of salt" on the roads in Ohio. They've since branched out to use other nasty stuff as well.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd73man44 View Post
It was simply a cost decision to use a material that was less expensive than say a higher strength than what was chosen. The draw depth may have also been a big factor in the stamping process. Those plus a poor (e-coat) surface prep and the results are what we see on our trucks in the field. Material thickness makes a difference and maybe since Intl was the supplier their testing was not run out to a cycle equivalent to our usage (10+ years). Many test cycles are also run in a lab, which may not emulate our use profile. The around the clock test track never allows the components to go thru heat/cooling like we put them thru in our daily use.
Aluminum is not a solution because it corrodes just differently. Aluminum is used in cars for two reasons neither being corrosion. The first reason is structural to make the engine block stiffer for our front drive vehicle designs. The second reason is to reduce vehicle weight to improve fuel economy. BUT, cost is BIG. And when the cost reductions are demanded by management the customer is forgotten.
In my opinion the BIG mistake made by Ford was the failure to make 'design for service' a first priority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd73man44 View Post
Maybe "Built Ford Tough
means tough to work on!

Another comment on "Serviceability".
Many of the engineers tasked with designing today's products have never gotten their hands dirty or actually removed and replaced a component part for which they had the design responsibility.

I sprayed my oil pan with a product called CORROSION X to abate the rusting. It may help prolong the pan life but maybe I started too late. If your pan is in bad shape I would be careful poking or scraping it, just soak it down with a rust stop product to help slow the corrosion. The dip stick tube is also another part that is susceptible to rotting away. If you look at your dipstick tube and want to change it spray a penetrating "KROIL" or similar around the flange at the pan to loosen it up before you attempt to remove it from the pan. Many times it cannot be removed without damaging the pan, then you are in BIG trouble, and have to have the pan replaced.
The garage where I had some work done was pulling the cab off a F-350 (18 hour job) to replace the oil pan. They lifted the body on the hoist and rolled the chassis back and used a cherry picker to raise the engine high enough to remove the pan. This is no job for the inexperienced! The pan gasket is "Form in Place" and there is a critical time between when you apply the sealant to the part to when you slap it into place. Wait too long and the sealant will skin over and "then probably leak". Big job. Probably good idea to have a helper and use guide pins to place the pan accurately onto the cylinder block.
Do you folks realize that the guys with the newer trucks would love to have the kind of access under the hood we enjoy? Go look under the hood of a 6.4 and ask yourself if you think you could change the serpentine belt, much less something like glow plugs. The service manual actually calls for removing the cab on those trucks to do work on the engine.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
F350_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.