The Diesel Stop banner

7.3l stalls intermittently

16K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ajohansson 
#1 ·
Hi
So I rebuilt my 7.3l

since rebuild, truck will run fine for a couple of days then it will stall, let it sit it will run fine for a day or too, then stalls. Had ford Change cps run fine for a day stalls. so I checked low pressure oil its good, pulled out icp to check high pressure oil truck fires up idles at 1500 psi.will idle for long periods of time (couple of hours fine) go to drive it runs good for a day then stalls. unplug icp truck fires up.... do the next logical thing change ICP does the same thing runs and stalls. unplug icp fires up any ideas?? where to look next ????????

thanks for any ideas

#2 ·
Check the wiring harness to the engine sensors and IPR. If there's someplace rubbing and shorting out, it can basically kill the signal from the sensors and the engine will die. If the IPR wiring has an intermittent open in it, it will kill the engine like you turned the key off.

Try getting up on top and wiggling the harness while the engine is running (be careful of moving parts). If it dies when you do that you either have a short or open that's causing the stall.

Hopefully the gremlin isn't too hard to track down. Good luck.

#4 ·
Maybe you got a bad replacement ICP sensor. :shrug03:

With the ICP unplugged, the truck should run fairly close to normal, as the PCM uses other information to control the IPR if the ICP isn't working correctly (or is unplugged).

Recheck the plug for the ICP sensor. Maybe there's a problem right there if you're sure your replacement ICP sensor is OK.

#6 ·
Mine did same thing until eventually it wouldnt start. It was the EBPV sensor. I know its sounds weird but that was it. Its cause weird stuff to happen to the PCM. unplug it and see if anything changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.