99, 7.3, Heavy white smoke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99, 7.3, Heavy white smoke

My neighbor has a 99 7.3 that he recently bought, He says its always been lacking power. Two days ago is started blowing heavy white smoke at all times, mostly at idle after being warmed up, found out today from a diesel mechanic he doesnt know that he had a hose clamp on the inlet turbo lines loose. They have told him his turbo is most likely smoked, does this sound right? We are going to look at it more tomorrow but would this cause white smoke? also he was told that the turbo on his 99 is smaller then later years. Please help with any input, I am going to look into his MAT sensor tomorrow to see if its bad.
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
If he had a poor seal or a cracked hose on the turbo intake, then yes having a dusted turbo is a real possibility. Yes early 99 trucks had a different turbo.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
F350_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Got first hand look today

Ok, I was wrong on hose position. the hose to the driverside head was connected but the clamp was completely loose. I dont think this motor has been dusted with this scenerio. a mechanice has told him the turbo is smoked since it has been over spun since it has been free wheeling since it has had no back pressure, does this sound right? also, what effect does the turbo have on oil in the exaust, there is tons of oil coming from the end of the pipe, would a shot turbo cause this?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

oh yes it would.... turbo seals are shot letting oil pass through and burning off in the exhaust
stoneit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Yes, the turbo gets oil through the pedestal. If the seals go out, you will be sucking that oil in and through the entire system...out the exhaust causing HUGE amounts of white some. Had the exact thing happen to me about 2yrs ago. When I turned the truck off, I could hear the turbo scrubbing through the exhaust. And if I wasn't in a bind, I would have put the GTP38R in instead of OEM turbo.
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Louisiana Powerstroke Owners

7.3-6.7 info file
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

im actually doin mine now... did all i could so far just checkin in while the pipes cool down
stoneit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.