99 7.3 wastegate - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2006, 01:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 7.3 wastegate

I just bought a 99 F-250 with the 7.3. The first day i had it, i took it for a road trip and put about 1,000 miles on it and it ran great. But the thing that i have noticed is that the wastegate on the turbo opens and shuts all the time, even at like 1,300rpm going slow. Or if i have it to the floor the wastegate remans closed untell 2,300rpm and then it takes off like no other. I have been told to check the turbo boost hose for carbon build up but i need some more ideas. Thanx
chevyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2006, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
Re: 99 7.3 wastegate

How can you tell that the waste gate is opening and closing all the time?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

2011 F350 PSD Lariate, CC, 4x4, LB, DRW. Air Bags,

2013 Lifestyle LS37RESL 5th Wheel
fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
KRP

Maybe you are talking EBPV rather than wastegate?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

the wastegate is in the exhaust turbine housing of the turbocharger. you can't hear the operation of the wastegate over the sound of the engine, if you could at all. it's job is to limit the amount of boost being made by dumping (wasting) exhaust drivepressure that would normally go through the turbine wheel and produce torque on the wheel.

what you are experiencing is probably a misfunctioning Exhaust Backpressure Valve (EBPV) that is causing the engine to lose power. it closes off 90% of the exhaust flow out of the turbocharger by a butterfly valve that is connected to a linkage and a control/sensor. The EBPV's purpose is to help the engine warm up to operating temperatures under a light engine load.

TDS's youngest member
KrisMyers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

So how do you know when it is set correctly or incorrectly?
I can hear mine releasing pressure as it shifts if im on it slightly.

Early 99 crew cab shorty 4X4
Custom tuned by DP Tuner
Modified H2e
Diesel Innovations - HP Crossover
Diesel Innovations - Regulated fuel return
Beans 530 Hybrids
Diesel Innovations - "Big DIIC" intercooler
Diesel Innovations - F.A.S.S. 150/180 Fuel System
Brians Truck Shop - BTS Tranny
DSALF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
KRP

You know it is set correctly when you don't make more boost than you want to. I think what you are hearing is the air coming back out the intake on a shift. It's a whooshing sound correct.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I think what you are hearing is the air coming back out the intake on a shift. It's a whooshing sound correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry this is wrong info
Not Flaming anyone .

The Whooshoing sound is you EBV closing and opening . The EBV closes and holds exhaust gases back to help the engine get up to normal operating temps quicker. If you start it and let it sit when its cold outside it will close and the idle will ramp up slowly. If you touch the brake pedal it will open and then close again shortly after. This will continue until the truck has warmed to normal operating temps.You will also hear the EBV close and open while driving if RPMs are under 1800. If it is closing and opening while driving after warm-up and over 1800 rpm then you have something wrong with either the EBV or a temp sending unit.
Hope this helps, Good luck, John
2001 F350 Island Blue,PSD,Police Interceptor Pkg,2WD,CC,LWB,AUTO,3:73,BOOST,PYRO,AND TRANS GAUGES,AFE FILTER, TS Performance ,4" Turbo Back Exhaust,
"BYE NOW"

Middle TN Email jjeepyjohn@aol.com
jjeepyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
KRP

That's not the sound I'm talking about. I know what the EBPV sounds like. I think he's talking about the noise that it makes at a shift when the excess pressure needs someplace to go. It's not my truck though and I have never heard his noise so maybe you are right. It's hard to spell the noises that a truck might make. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think what you are hearing is the air coming back out the intake on a shift. It's a whooshing sound correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry this is wrong info
Not Flaming anyone .

The Whooshoing sound is you EBV closing and opening . The EBV closes and holds exhaust gases back to help the engine get up to normal operating temps quicker. If you start it and let it sit when its cold outside it will close and the idle will ramp up slowly. If you touch the brake pedal it will open and then close again shortly after. This will continue until the truck has warmed to normal operating temps.You will also hear the EBV close and open while driving if RPMs are under 1800. If it is closing and opening while driving after warm-up and over 1800 rpm then you have something wrong with either the EBV or a temp sending unit.
Hope this helps, Good luck, John

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope thats not it. How do I know for sure? gutted the EBV long ago.It is bleeding off pressure when it shifts , Normal?

Early 99 crew cab shorty 4X4
Custom tuned by DP Tuner
Modified H2e
Diesel Innovations - HP Crossover
Diesel Innovations - Regulated fuel return
Beans 530 Hybrids
Diesel Innovations - "Big DIIC" intercooler
Diesel Innovations - F.A.S.S. 150/180 Fuel System
Brians Truck Shop - BTS Tranny
DSALF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.