99 F250 sd front wheel bearing replacement ??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 F250 sd front wheel bearing replacement ???

I believe the needle bearings in the pass. side front axle are shot. Is there agood picture of the outer axle assy for the super duty trucks?

Any special tools needed??? Hub wrench?? Did a search and was hoping for a write up on this subject.

Thank you in advance!!!
rb69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2006, 04:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
Re: 99 F250 sd front wheel bearing replacement ???

HERE is an excellent article on ball joint replacement, which goes just a bit deeper than you need to go.

Standard hand tools are all that's needed.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

Assuming your rig is a 4x4, then you have a Dana front axle and you cannot replace or even pack the front wheel bearings. The only fix is to replace the ball joints per that article Kevin linked to.

Kevin stated "Standard hand tools are all that's needed" but he forgot to mention that you'll need to borrow/rent a ball joint removal tool. Per the article: "Place knuckle in vice and use a ball joint removal kit to drive out lower and upper ball joints. I borrowed one of these kits from AutoZone."

But if you have a 4x2, then you have a normal Ford "twin I-Beam " front axle, and the front wheel bearings can - and should be - packed every 30k miles. All you need is new grease seals and some wheel-bearing grease. And a wheel bearing packing tool is nice to have, even if you know how to do the nasty job of properly packing a wheel bearing by hand. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] And if necessary you could replace a front wheel bearing, but that's pretty rare in a 4x2.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

Smokey is rambling again. It part of the aging process. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You don't need to rent a ball joint press unless you decide to do ball joints. Kevin just pointed to that article as it deals with the bearings as well.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/trimmed Snorkel; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED; Auto Magic Heater Bypass; 2W Low Switch.
Cool_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2006, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Thanks to all who posted... The link helped alot.
What I found was that the needle bearing was shot. I replaced the bearing and that fixed it. I need to replace the outer seal in the hub, but for now as the weather is starting to change here in Iowa the needle is all it will get... Ball joint where replaced earlier this fall..

Thanks for the link and the awsome site!!!!
rb69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.