The Diesel Stop banner

99 F250 sd front wheel bearing replacement ???

10K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rb69 
#1 ·
I believe the needle bearings in the pass. side front axle are shot. Is there agood picture of the outer axle assy for the super duty trucks?

Any special tools needed??? Hub wrench?? Did a search and was hoping for a write up on this subject.

Thank you in advance!!!

#2 ·
HERE is an excellent article on ball joint replacement, which goes just a bit deeper than you need to go.

Standard hand tools are all that's needed.

#3 ·
Assuming your rig is a 4x4, then you have a Dana front axle and you cannot replace or even pack the front wheel bearings. The only fix is to replace the ball joints per that article Kevin linked to.

Kevin stated "Standard hand tools are all that's needed" but he forgot to mention that you'll need to borrow/rent a ball joint removal tool. Per the article: "Place knuckle in vice and use a ball joint removal kit to drive out lower and upper ball joints. I borrowed one of these kits from AutoZone."

But if you have a 4x2, then you have a normal Ford "twin I-Beam " front axle, and the front wheel bearings can - and should be - packed every 30k miles. All you need is new grease seals and some wheel-bearing grease. And a wheel bearing packing tool is nice to have, even if you know how to do the nasty job of properly packing a wheel bearing by hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif And if necessary you could replace a front wheel bearing, but that's pretty rare in a 4x2.

#4 ·
Smokey is rambling again. It part of the aging process. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You don't need to rent a ball joint press unless you decide to do ball joints. Kevin just pointed to that article as it deals with the bearings as well.

#5 ·
Thanks to all who posted... The link helped alot.
What I found was that the needle bearing was shot. I replaced the bearing and that fixed it. I need to replace the outer seal in the hub, but for now as the weather is starting to change here in Iowa the needle is all it will get... Ball joint where replaced earlier this fall..

Thanks for the link and the awsome site!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.