The Diesel Stop banner

'99 temp gauge not working

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  klhansen 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm trying to figure out why my coolant temp gauge isn't working. I replaced the cluster and temp sensor with oem Ford parts still nothing. Tested connector at sensor and when I jump it the temp goes up but doesn't read when connected. Any ideas?? I don't know anywhere else to look in thinking it's the computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Truck or Van? If it's a pickup, then it wouldn't be the computer, because there's no connection between the ECT sensor and the computer, just the instrument cluster. Does everything else in the cluster work correctly? You might have a bad (high resistance) connection somewhere in the circuit.
On a Van the ECT circuit also goes to the computer, but I can't see how that would affect the instrument display.

#4 ·
The only thing I can suggest is to completely check the continuity of the circuit. It should be less than 5 ohms from sensor connector to cluster connector.
Good luck.

#6 ·
No, a continuity test is without power. Pull both the sensor connector and the instrument panel connector and check the resistance between the pins on each end of the wire. You might also check between one pin and ground to be sure the circuit isn't grounded. Between the circuit (disconnected) and ground should be infinite ohms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.