ABS light wont go off? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ABS light wont go off?

ABS light on insturment panel is on and I have checked brake pads, fluid and fuses. All seem to be fine. Anyone know why this light would be on and how do I fix the problem.
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: ABS light wont go off?

Have you checked the motion sensor in the top inside of the rear end. My light was on a lot about a year ago and I put in the new sensor, fixed the problem. I think its magnetic and get gunked up. I have also heard of people just cleaning them off. I got the new one, I think it was 20 bucks and a 10 minute fix. I'm sure soneone else will chime in with more info.
1999.5 f-350 7.3PSD auto 4x4 crew cab long bed, DP Tuner 3-pos. 50-80-100 chip, 4"exhaust, AFE stage 1w/pg7, ATS Housing, shimmed FPR, modified zoodad, ISSPRO gauges, sonnax tricumulator shift kit, Bilsteins, snug top, KM lumber rack, TC Lockup switch, pic> http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...hp?photo=24244
wilsonwilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I havent checked this, when you say in the top inside of the rear end where exactly is this? this is the first time I have attempted to work on ABS's
Old 04-08-2006, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's on the driveshaft side of the pumpkin around 1-2 o'clock as I remember. If you have a manual it should show you. I can't remember exactly what it's called, some people call it a speed sensor but as I understand it it's just a motion sensor. If you look under there it has a wire running to it and I think its held in by a couple of little bolts, very easy to change out. Sorry about being somewhat vague on it but its been a while. I'm sure if you do a search for ABS light you'll get all the info you need. You may have to search the archives. Hope this helps. It cured mine.
1999.5 f-350 7.3PSD auto 4x4 crew cab long bed, DP Tuner 3-pos. 50-80-100 chip, 4"exhaust, AFE stage 1w/pg7, ATS Housing, shimmed FPR, modified zoodad, ISSPRO gauges, sonnax tricumulator shift kit, Bilsteins, snug top, KM lumber rack, TC Lockup switch, pic> http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...hp?photo=24244
Old 04-08-2006, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks, I'll give it a check.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

VSS sensor, I guess it is a speed sendor, I did a search and got a bunch of results.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

what does "ABS" stand for? I thought it was Anti-Lock Brake System. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's right, from what I got, the anti-lock system compares wheel speeds to control itself and if one of the sensors is down it gives you the warning light. I guess the rear one is the usual suspect, I've never read about any others going out. Not that I'm an old timer or expert. Replacing the rear sensor on mine fixed it.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

gotya! you can learn alot from this website
Old 04-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Have the speed sensor replaced. It sends driving history data to your black box. That's the normal cause of the ABS light coming on.

When the Gov. required ABS "Air Bag System", the auto manufactures insisted on a diving history of you and your vehicle. They knew, and they were correct, that any time the air bag was deployed that the driver's Lawyer would blame the deployment of the bag as the cause of the accident. Not, the driver's fault. The Liar's (Lawyer's) tried to prevent "Black Box's", after all they would all profit by suing the manufacturer/insrance companies on every minor impact accident. The black box keeps a short history of your speed and when you applied brakes prior to impact. The data can be used by the police, insurance companies and trial lawyers.

This is a good thing, not a bad thing. Without the black box history we would all be paying alot more insurance and vehicle purchase.

Thank your favorite Lawyer.

2001, F250, SC, 7.3, Auto, Short Box, 4X4, Off Road, Hard Tonneau
wrsdms1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2006, 09:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Have the speed sensor replaced. It sends driving history data to your black box. That's the normal cause of the ABS light coming on.

When the Gov. required ABS "Air Bag System", the auto manufactures insisted on a diving history of you and your vehicle. They knew, and they were correct, that any time the air bag was deployed that the driver's Lawyer would blame the deployment of the bag as the cause of the accident. Not, the driver's fault. The Liar's (Lawyer's) tried to prevent "Black Box's", after all they would all profit by suing the manufacturer/insrance companies on every minor impact accident. The black box keeps a short history of your speed and when you applied brakes prior to impact. The data can be used by the police, insurance companies and trial lawyers.

This is a good thing, not a bad thing. Without the black box history we would all be paying alot more insurance and vehicle purchase.

Thank your favorite Lawyer.

[/ QUOTE ]"If" The tk is equipped with 4-wheel ABS it can also be one of the front wheel sensors.If you are unsure,A quick look on the back of the Hub will tell you if you have it or not.You will see the feed wire coming out of the back of the hub.It would be much easier to pull the code with a scan tool before throwing parts at it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2006, 12:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm going to have to give this a check. ABS light came on the last time i drove my POS. Now it won't start so I'll have to wait to see if this will fix my problem.
black93gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2006, 02:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

don't go to the parts store and ask for a "vehicle speed sensor" even though that is what it is on my 99 350. gives you a mechanical sensor that looks like it should go in tranny. It is a magnetic sensor and they don't take thermal cycling too well to my understanding. This sensor is used by cruise control, speedo, PCM and ABS. look up RABS (rear abs sensor) at the parts store. just replaced mine with borg werner ABS111 ($20 at oreillys). This sensor is used in almost all ford truck platforms of later years. very common. one bolt (forgot bolt size), one wiring connector. just above pinion input on front of pumpkin. 10 mins to fix including digging up the floor jack. fixed a speedo problem i had as well as abs light and blinking OD light.
Chad
ccg711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

I was just out taking a look at it. its a 10mm bolt

I also had the OD light flashing on the grear selector. Then noticed my speedo isn't quite responding like it should.

Odd how i just had two problems pop up at the same time. GPR and this one too.
black93gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2006, 05:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

It could also be your clock spring, does your cruise control and horn work?
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.