AC stops working - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AC stops working

works fine for awhile and then just stops...turn off and on couple times and starts again..is that a sensor or relay? on the 2002.
2003 F250 Lariat 4X2 Crew Cab 3:73LS Auto
djlehmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Possibly, sounds more like the clutch though.
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)//Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

First vehicle (still driving): 96 F250 XLT 2x4- All factory (injectors & turbo) except straight exhaust. 570k miles

Information .zip file
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

And as always, don't forget to check your air gap... airgap.pdf
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

check the plug to the compressor too. mine got hot somehow and doesn't make a good connection. it would intermitently go off and on
-2nd motor with ~115k miles on it
4" Flo~Pro Turbo Back Exhaust, 6637 with Pete's Pre-Filter, Superchips 1700 Programmer-60hp Setting, Glow Shift EGT-Trans Temp-Boost gauges, trans triaccumulaor spring &valve kit, 285 Goodyear Duratrac Tires, Standadyne used most fill ups, 15-40W Valvoline every 3-4k
nctuso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

mine quits working after about 20 miles down the road. If you let of the accelerator it starts blowing cold again. It usually begins around 70 mph to stop blowing cold. A guy at O'reilly's auto parts seems to think it's a screen clogged in the line that catches trash in the refrigerant line. Anytime I get back down to 45 mph or less it works great! Any help out there?
RUPLUMBING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

My 02 F-250 was doing the same thing. When it was real hot it would quit cooling. Removed the outer compresser clutch plate, removed the small spacer washer (which closed the air gap) & put the plate back on. Works great.
Shugar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

I read that same thing today, thanks. But why in the world did that "fix" it? I've got 166,000 miles and it just started, is the clutch going or something?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
RT

What happens is the clutch end plate wears to the point where the electromagnet can no longer maintain engagement reliably. Decreasing the gap reduces the force required to stay engaged. You can buy a new end plate if yours looks too chewed up, but just correcting the gap works and will buy you some extra time.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Gotcha! Thanks!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Last year, it was the plug and pressure switch. Changed those out, and it worked fine till a couple weeks ago. Checked the gap...it was .055, took out the washer, new gap is .014, and all is good...no cutting out.
2003 F-350 SD, 7.3 PSD, Auto, CC, LB, SRW, FX4, 4.10:1 Genuine Gear Ring and Pinions, Detroit Truetrac Differentials F&R, FabTech Ladder Bars, SuperChips 1705, EBPV delete, IH Up-pipes, Magnaflow 4" Exhaust, Ford AIS Air Cleaner, ISSPRO Boost, Trans, and EGT Guages, Kenwood DNX6160 with Nav & XM, Ford AIC, Brite Box, 203* T-Stat and Billet Housing, Tru-Cool 4739 MAX, ProComp StageII 4" Lift on Eagle 589's with 35x12.50x16.5 BFG AT KO's, Centramatics, WeatherGuard Toolbox, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover w/Companion 5th Wheel Hitch & Firestone Ride Rite Airbags, PacBrake PRXB.

2009 Forest River XLR 3712SA ToyHauler
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.