Air temp sensors?????? High temp reading during diagnostics - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air temp sensors?????? High temp reading during diagnostics

02' ford F250 7.3L 4x4

while having my truck tested at a local Diesel shop for an intermittent issue, the mechanic showed me the display from the test set and said the only issue he could find was that the air temp sensor was reading way to high, it was reading between 165 & 168.....he pointed to a sensor that was located on the front pedestal of the Turbo assembly.....I know there are 2 different air temp sensors for my truck, one in the air box and the one he directed my attention to.

Question one : what are the 2 part #'s for the different sensors??? 235,000 miles, figured I would swap them both out anyway

Question 2 : what should the correct air temp readings be??? figured one should be close to ambient /outside temp, but the one that is after the turbo I have know idea on.....

Question 3 : what effect would the high temp reading have on the operation of the engine??? does it cause more of something or less??? does it open something or keep it closed??? what symptoms would the operator notice if any at all?????

any input would be appreciated.....
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

The air intake heater that he pointed at has nothing to do with the way the truck runs. A lot of people remove that assembly and either plug it or use a drilled and tapped plug as a source for their boost gauge. I wouldn't replace it. The one in the air box is used so I would swap that if it was biased. I'm sure it has some affect on fueling, although the engine oil temp sensor is the main input for that.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
The air intake heater that he pointed at has nothing to do with the way the truck runs. A lot of people remove that assembly and either plug it or use a drilled and tapped plug as a source for their boost gauge. I wouldn't replace it. The one in the air box is used so I would swap that if it was biased. I'm sure it has some affect on fueling, although the engine oil temp sensor is the main input for that.
He said intake temp SENSOR...not heater. I have heard other people talk about another intake sensor (besides the one in the air box) but I have still do not know where it is. I just read on another forum (another issue...old posts) that were talking about it and said it does affect timing of the injector
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Information .zip file
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerf250 View Post
he pointed to a sensor that was located on the front pedestal of the Turbo assembly
The AIH is where I imagine the guy was pointing. That's the only other "temperature" related item in the intake system.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (175)
Actually, there is a temperature sensor (MAT or Manifold Air Temperature sensor) mounted on the front of the turbo spider just above where it splits to feed the intake plenums. The IAH is above it and to the passenger side on the inlet from the intercooler. The MAT sensor has some affect on injection timing according to the service manual, but I don't know the exact relationship. I would guess it advances timing a bit with colder temperatures. It's screwed into the spider with pipe threads (tapered).

The IAT sensor mounted on the filter box is a bayonet mount made of plastic. If you can get your hands on a service manual, it has resistance to temperature tables for at least one of the sensors. They are pretty bullet-proof, so it would be unusual for either to be bad.

Tousley lists both, but not by part #

ELECTRICAL / POWERTRAIN CONTROL / POWERTRAIN CONTROL / AIR INTAKE TEMP SENSOR AIR INTAKE TEMP sensor F250 Pick-Up; 7.3L; On Charge Air Manifold 1999-07 SUPER DUTY

ELECTRICAL / POWERTRAIN CONTROL / POWERTRAIN CONTROL / AIR INTAKE TEMP SENSOR AIR INTAKE TEMP sensor F250 Pick-Up; 7.3L; On Air Cleaner 1999-07 SUPER DUTY
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here

Last edited by klhansen; 05-10-2012 at 06:41 PM.
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RIStroker2000
is there anything wrong with leaving the 'filter box' temp sensor dangling or 'tucked' in umm for years.. interesting about the MAT sensor which kl posted.. gonna look for more info on that

nothing crazy, it carries alot of weight, it tows alot.. has all the 'usual' upgrades plus some..

she breaths well, has extra air and fuel
RIStroker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Thanks Klhansen....good to know. Wish my gauge (which I just got a replacement gauge in today) would pick it up.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.com App
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Information .zip file
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.