The Diesel Stop banner

Any opinions on Gates water pump?

18K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Kenny78 
#1 ·
Hi, I need the water pump inlet elbow and seal.
As I have 93k on the truck I'll likely need a water pump eventually, too.
The local parts store has a Gates water pump (come with elbow and seal), so could get the Gates pump and solve my elbow/seal problem and have a water pump for future install.
My question, is the Gates water pump a good pump?
--Don't want to fool around with anything that's not the best.
Thanks.

#2 ·
OK, I already have another question on my above post:
The elbow and seal that will come with the Gates pump .....will that elbow and seal fit onto my factory original water pump?

#3 ·
To makes things simple, who makes the Ford OEM water pump and where can I get one (besides a Ford dealer)?

#4 ·
The OEM is AIRTEX AW-4114 and it does come withe gasket and elbow.

I only needed the elbow since my original waterpump still worked fine. I removed the elbow and gasket and bolted it right up to my factory waterpump. I still have the new waterpump in its box on my parts shelf.

BTW, I bought the entire assembly here on Amazon:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Airtex-AW4114-Engine-Water-Pump/dp/B001LTVHD8[/ame]

I have no experience with the Gates.

#7 ·
I will try and find a photo I took when I pulled my elbow off.

The rubber seal was dried out and had lost all flexibility. It was flattened out as well.

That was the reason for my leak.

My old elbow had developed a fair amount of rust and that is why I upgraded to the new cast elbow. The elbow alone was about $40 so it was more cost effective to buy the entire waterpump assembly mentioned above and have it when needed.

#12 ·
The lesson is learned Gents...the only way to be assured of quality components is buying Motorcraft branded parts.

Sorry to steer you wrong Farnorthdriver.

#13 ·
Not always. Many of it is China junk now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#14 ·
All I know is I feel comfortable that I installed a quality part in my opinion that has not let me down in the past for expected life. Still saved $850 on labor the Ford dealer quoted. :laugh2::grin2:

Reactions: ArcticDriver
#15 ·
So I have researched this Airtex product further and it comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty and the Ford Motorcraft has a 1-year warranty...but we all have seen that the length of warranty can be inversely proportional to the actual build quality. It can be a marketing ploy.

But reading through many of the customer reviews on the Airtex does indicate many purchasers have been satisfied enough that it averages 4.1 out of 5 Stars and the Motorcraft PW455 averages 5 out of 5.

Does this suggest you have an 82% chance of not having a failure ? >:)

Several of the complaints were with the gasket being of poor quality or being damaged in the box during shipment.
How many of these were the result of improper installation vs inferior internal components is not clear.

Have any of the TDS guys installed the Airtex waterpump? I will most likely install the one I have when my factory pump goes south.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.