Bad IDM??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad IDM???

Hey guys, Newbie to the dieselstop. Want to pick yalls brain for a second. Right now I have a 10,000 pound paper weight sitting in my yard. Truck will crank fine but will not start. Changed the CPS. Changed the fuel filter, cleaned the bowl, fuel pump works. Ran the codes and got a P1293 and P1294. Those are the high side open right and left bank codes.

My question, with those two codes together, am I most likely looking at a bad IDM or bad wiring somewhere. I would think that if it was bad wiring I would only get one code, either the right or left bank, not both. That's just my thinking, I don't know that for sure.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Banks Monster Exhaust
Gauge Set
spurs716 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

What scanner did you use to get the codes? If you have an AE scanner, preform a buzz and continuity test, that would rule in/out the IDM. May be the UVCH harness, one or both sides have become, corroded, burnt or detached. IMHO I would check trhe UVCH harness(s) 1st before replacing the IDM. Start on the drivers side, easiest to get to. The IDM is under the drivers side fender and is susceptacle to moisture and or water getting into them also.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. I did not mention this in my o.p. but the truck was driving fine and then just suddenly died. It has not started since. There were no symptoms prior to. Would that still lead you to believe UVCH?
Banks Monster Exhaust
Gauge Set
Old 12-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
you can also check this at the idm connector to see if harness or uvc harness is problem. here are instructions and pin out
http://www.gbreman.com/docs/techbull...eplacement.pdf

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby Swamps,Tony Wildman Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
Excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (175)
Another spot to check is where the main harness bundle crosses the driver's side valve cover. Some brilliant engineer put the high voltage injector circuits on the bottom of the bundle where they can wear against the VC and short out. If that's it, then some electrical tape should get you on the road again.

Otherwise it's possible your IDM has fried itself.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks again for all yalls replies. I will take a look at all of that over the next few days. Christmas has turned a little hectic with only one vehicle to drive between my wife and I.
Banks Monster Exhaust
Gauge Set
Old 12-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just another possible check. My 7.3 Ex 4wd would not start cold on the first attempt. The second attempt it started. I pulled codes with Actron scanner. I found P1670 and no other codes. After going through the wiring (in the manual not on the truck). I found the IDM relay that supplies power to the IDM is located in the power distrbution box on the driver fender well. I swapped the relay with another known relay, cleared the codes and so far the truck is starting much better than previous.

The IDM relay gets a lot of abuse and is easy to change, runs about $8 at AZ for replacement. They won't have the IDM relay but they have the blower relay which is the same ford part. So If you look for the horn, or blower relay at AZ they are the same as the IDM. The IDM relay is #302 in my power distribution box. A quick verification check is to swqp the horn relay 301 with the IDM relay to see if the truck will start.

This may not be the issue but my rule of thumb. If it cost over $100 it could not be bad. so go check the relay in the PDB.

Hope it works for you.

Ok,, 1st post on this site have a great day. vettdvr
vettdvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.