Bad Injector? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad Injector?

Ok, guys, it's been a while since I've posted on here, but I finally had my truck looked at by an actual Ford diesel mechanic. I put on a new oil filter, and did my own oil change (Rotella 15w40), we started it up with it hooked up to his computer, and noticed that it was burning a decent amount of oil. At that same time, a misfire or something showed up in cylinder number 5. So, he was thinking that it could be a bad o-ring, bad injector, or in the worse case scenario, a hole somewhere causing the oil to leak into the fuel system? I got ahold of another mechanic who said that he was pretty positive that it was a bad injector on cylinder 5. Have any of you guys ever had this problem, and what were the symptoms you had? It's causing mine to have a delay in the start/hard start depending on temperatures outside. Do you guys think I should just go ahead and buy a new injector, and have it put in, or should I sell the truck? I'd love to get it fixed up, because it's a 99 and has a lot of potential. If you need more info just go ahead and ask me.
brendanmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
thecheesemannn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dekalb, Illinois
Posts: 554
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Bad Injector?

I have been chasing a severe oil burning problem for a while now, been going through about 1qt of oil per day, 5-6qts per tank of fuel, and it doesnt leak a drop.

I have changed all 8 injectors & orings, sent them out to be flow tested, found a few more that had gone bad, and Im STILL burning oil. Also changed a bunch of other things, including a new turbo.

I have no Idea whats wrong with my truck, however Im fairly certain its just severe blowby at this point. I was planning on changing out my valve stem seals and seeing if that helps, until my truck started making grinding sounds comming from the clutch area.

I am also dead certain I have a high pressure oil leak somewhere because my engine still stalls from time to time.


If I were you, I would be dead certain its an Injector! Do a Contribution and a buzz test with a Rotunda Scanner or Auto Enginuity, and make sure its a bad injector. Otherwise you might just be wasting your time & money changing injectors all the time like I have.


I dont want to steer you in the wrong direction, and there are alot of other members here that know MUCH more than I do, so don't take my word for it.

If you do end up buying a new injector, I get mine from riffraff
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/catego...S-INJ-OEM.html

They are NEW out of the box, and not rebuilt. Seem to work great, alittle hard to thread the oil spout back on because threads havent been used yet, however they work GREAT! All of my injectors are these aside from 3, dont forget, if you change number 8 you will need a "8LL" injector, and not an "AD"

GOOD LUCK!
-Ron-









Sent from my Verizon 4G-LTE smart phone using Autoguide
__________________

Deutz Certified Technition

White 1995 F450 XL 7.3L Powerstroke 255,000miles.

Red 2003 F250 XLT Crew Cab 6.0L Powerstroke FX4 195,000miles

White 2003 F350 Lariat Dually Crew Cab 6.0L Powerstroke 95,000miles.

Black 2003 Excursion XLT 6.0L Powerstroke 4x4 205,000miles.

White 2007 F550 XL 6.0L Powerstroke 87,000miles.
thecheesemannn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecheesemannn View Post
I have been chasing a severe oil burning problem for a while now, been going through about 1qt of oil per day, 5-6qts per tank of fuel, and it doesnt leak a drop.

I have changed all 8 injectors & orings, sent them out to be flow tested, found a few more that had gone bad, and Im STILL burning oil. Also changed a bunch of other things, including a new turbo.

I have no Idea whats wrong with my truck, however Im fairly certain its just severe blowby at this point. I was planning on changing out my valve stem seals and seeing if that helps, until my truck started making grinding sounds comming from the clutch area.

I am also dead certain I have a high pressure oil leak somewhere because my engine still stalls from time to time.


If I were you, I would be dead certain its an Injector! Do a Contribution and a buzz test with a Rotunda Scanner or Auto Enginuity, and make sure its a bad injector. Otherwise you might just be wasting your time & money changing injectors all the time like I have.


I dont want to steer you in the wrong direction, and there are alot of other members here that know MUCH more than I do, so don't take my word for it.

If you do end up buying a new injector, I get mine from riffraff
Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Alliant Stock Injectors | Diesel fuel injectors | Ford Powerstroke fuel injectors | 7.3L Fuel Injector - Alliant

They are NEW out of the box, and not rebuilt. Seem to work great, alittle hard to thread the oil spout back on because threads havent been used yet, however they work GREAT! All of my injectors are these aside from 3, dont forget, if you change number 8 you will need a "8LL" injector, and not an "AD"

GOOD LUCK!
-Ron-









Sent from my Verizon 4G-LTE smart phone using Autoguide
Awesome, I appreciate the help! I still can't decide if I want to go ahead and just cut my losses and sell the truck, or if I want to fix it up. If I do end up buying a new injector for that cylinder, do I need to also buy new o-rings?
brendanmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Greenpond, Al., USA
Posts: 116
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The injector will come with new o-rings. Be sure to take a look at the injector cup/sleeve while you are in there.
__________________
Bama
1999 F350, bought used 1/2001, Crew Cab, DRW, 7.3 PSD, 3.73 gears, lighted running boards, Sony CD w/ two 10's and 1500 watts. Pulling a 32' Enclosed Gooseneck trailer.
BamaPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaPSD View Post
The injector will come with new o-rings. Be sure to take a look at the injector cup/sleeve while you are in there.
So, you're recommending that I do get the new injector? Just making sure before I make the purchase. Got the directions on the R&R from riffraff, so me and another guy from work are going to be doing it.
brendanmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
thecheesemannn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dekalb, Illinois
Posts: 554
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Bad Injector?

Its an easy change, and if your mechanic says its an injector, then he is probably right.

The passenger side is slightly harder to change than the driver side, but its nothing a few swivel joints cant handle on the ratchet.

If one is on its way out, odds are the rest are too. I would personally change ALL four on that side as well as the glow plugs, if you can afford it. I know its expensive, but it gets annoying after a while to be under that valve cover every 2weeks changing an injector because you didnt do them all.




Sent from my Verizon 4G-LTE smart phone using Autoguide
__________________

Deutz Certified Technition

White 1995 F450 XL 7.3L Powerstroke 255,000miles.

Red 2003 F250 XLT Crew Cab 6.0L Powerstroke FX4 195,000miles

White 2003 F350 Lariat Dually Crew Cab 6.0L Powerstroke 95,000miles.

Black 2003 Excursion XLT 6.0L Powerstroke 4x4 205,000miles.

White 2007 F550 XL 6.0L Powerstroke 87,000miles.
thecheesemannn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecheesemannn View Post
Its an easy change, and if your mechanic says its an injector, then he is probably right.

The passenger side is slightly harder to change than the driver side, but its nothing a few swivel joints cant handle on the ratchet.

If one is on its way out, odds are the rest are too. I would personally change ALL four on that side as well as the glow plugs, if you can afford it. I know its expensive, but it gets annoying after a while to be under that valve cover every 2weeks changing an injector because you didnt do them all.




Sent from my Verizon 4G-LTE smart phone using Autoguide
I wish I could afford to do them all, but it looks like doing just one is my only option at the moment. I could probably afford the glow plugs as well, but not two injectors. :/ The engine only has 40k miles on it, so I'm not sure if it's just this one injector, or like you said, they could all be going. Do you know which side and which one cylinder 5 is?
brendanmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
 
thecheesemannn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dekalb, Illinois
Posts: 554
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Bad Injector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanmitchell View Post
I wish I could afford to do them all, but it looks like doing just one is my only option at the moment. I could probably afford the glow plugs as well, but not two injectors. :/ The engine only has 40k miles on it, so I'm not sure if it's just this one injector, or like you said, they could all be going. Do you know which side and which one cylinder 5 is?
Its the passenger side, and 2nd from the back.

40,000!!!! WOW! I wish mine was so young!

I hear ya on the not being able to afford it part, Thats the reason I only did mine one at a time.

If you need any help, PM me, Ill give you my phone number if you need any more assistance, or are in a jam during replacement!




Sent from my Verizon 4G-LTE smart phone using Autoguide
__________________

Deutz Certified Technition

White 1995 F450 XL 7.3L Powerstroke 255,000miles.

Red 2003 F250 XLT Crew Cab 6.0L Powerstroke FX4 195,000miles

White 2003 F350 Lariat Dually Crew Cab 6.0L Powerstroke 95,000miles.

Black 2003 Excursion XLT 6.0L Powerstroke 4x4 205,000miles.

White 2007 F550 XL 6.0L Powerstroke 87,000miles.
thecheesemannn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,099
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would do further testing before I spent the money on injectors, especially if you only have 40k. If you want to sell the truck, ill take it; I need your motor. A bad cps could possibly be causing the miss as well. The bad thing about ford mechanics or a lot of mechanics in general is that they can misdiagnose. Don't take that the wrong way, but I would further investigate.
I do not know the easiest way to test the injector, but you can swap the injector with another and see if the problem follows. this is just time and an oil change. I find it hard to believe its the injector. They should have also done a buzz tes, cly contribution test, etc. You may possible have bad injector orings if the truck is not driven much, but you wont know till you pull it. You can get a full set of 8 oring sets for 50-$60. Just do more investigating before wating money on a new injector.

you might want to think about getting your injector from fullforce. Its cheaper and remanufactured with all brand new parts (basically new). Thats where I get my injectors from.
fullforce reman injector

Also the cheapest place to get your gp's would be from rockauto. Theres always a 5%off code floating around too.
__________________
03 F350 7.3L Auto CC LB Dually 410's (LS Rear)

PHP/Beans tuned/250/100 FF inj's, BTS Tranny, Strictly Diesel complete fuel system with RR & FB delete, Pius LASB from Irate, Swamps HVHF IDM.
Autometer Nexus Guages, 4"MBRP, DieselSite Coolant filtration system/billet housing/HP X-Over line. Baldwin PA2818(6637) RR Boots/CBillet Plenums, ('06) 26 row Tranny & PS Cooler, LarryB's Genuine Denso Starter

Last edited by INFRNL; 02-25-2013 at 10:52 PM.
INFRNL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
I would do further testing before I spent the money on injectors, especially if you only have 40k. If you want to sell the truck, ill take it; I need your motor. A bad cps could possibly be causing the miss as well. The bad thing about ford mechanics or a lot of mechanics in general is that they can misdiagnose. Don't take that the wrong way, but I would further investigate.
I do not know the easiest way to test the injector, but you can swap the injector with another and see if the problem follows. this is just time and an oil change. I find it hard to believe its the injector. They should have also done a buzz tes, cly contribution test, etc. You may possible have bad injector orings if the truck is not driven much, but you wont know till you pull it. You can get a full set of 8 oring sets for 50-$60. Just do more investigating before wating money on a new injector.

you might want to think about getting your injector from fullforce. Its cheaper and remanufactured with all brand new parts (basically new). Thats where I get my injectors from.
fullforce reman injector

Also the cheapest place to get your gp's would be from rockauto. Theres always a 5%off code floating around too.
Are you in Oklahoma? I'd love to workout a deal with you if you really want it.
brendanmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,099
My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanmitchell View Post
Are you in Oklahoma? I'd love to workout a deal with you if you really want it.
I'm in Colorado but technically not far from Oklahoma. can you send me a PM with some pics and your thoughts. Thanks
__________________
03 F350 7.3L Auto CC LB Dually 410's (LS Rear)

PHP/Beans tuned/250/100 FF inj's, BTS Tranny, Strictly Diesel complete fuel system with RR & FB delete, Pius LASB from Irate, Swamps HVHF IDM.
Autometer Nexus Guages, 4"MBRP, DieselSite Coolant filtration system/billet housing/HP X-Over line. Baldwin PA2818(6637) RR Boots/CBillet Plenums, ('06) 26 row Tranny & PS Cooler, LarryB's Genuine Denso Starter
INFRNL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.