Bad IPR??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad IPR???

the following happened within the last 500 miles of 2400 mile roadtrip.

the truck started to buck and miss like a misfire and the ICP pressure was all over the place it would jump to 3500 then down to 800 then 2500 down to 1000 and just all over the place, this happend three times the last 500 miles and lasted about 7-10 seconds each time before smoothing out. also the truck seemed to not have much power after this started to happen when we would hit a hill i could only hit 11-12 psi boost, and level 5 on my juice W/attitude felt like stock power, and ever since that has happend i have an extended crank i have to now crank for about 6 or 7 seconds before it barely fires runs rough then smooths out, i have already changes the fuel filter and changed the oil with difference, going to my buddy's shop monday to pull codes, DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A BAD IPR????

knn intake
banks exhaust
banks turbo housing
banks power elbo
big head waste gate-disconnected
edge juice w/ attitude (just till i get a DP)
4 gauge pod with DiPricol pyro, boost, trans temp, HPOP

automatic tranny

ranch hand front and rear bumpers

pro comp 2.5 inch leveling kit w/315/75R16
JUSTING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
first unplug the icp connector and see if it smooths out. If it does then the ICP should be replaced. If not then yes the IPR would be suspect if the ICP pressure is all over the place.

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby Swamps,Tony Wildman Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
Excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

i will have access to a MODIS on monday, is there a test i can do on the scan tool that will test IPR duty cycle or something???

knn intake
banks exhaust
banks turbo housing
banks power elbo

automatic tranny

Old 04-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
As I said you can unplug the ICP on drivers side head and see if it runs better as it could be bad ICP .

Here are 2 codes to look for with scanner
P1211 - "ICP Higher/Lower Than Desired" (7.3L)
We all know that this code is commonly caused by "Hot Chips" that are demanding more Injection Control Pressure (ICP) than the High Pressure Oil Pump can deliver. For what it's worth, these are the exact parameters that trigger this code:
  • ICP 410psi Higher Than Desired for 7 Seconds
  • ICP 280psi Lower Than Desired for 7 Seconds
This code can also be caused by legitimate High Pressure Oil System issues. Below is a list of some of the causes:
  • Failed or Sticking IPR (Injection Pressure Regulator)
  • Failed or Weak HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump)
  • Any Leak in High Pressure Oil System (o-ring, stuck injector, etc.)
  • Low Fuel Pressure (Rare)
P1280 / P1281 / P1283 - (7.3L)
The above codes are related to ICP also. If the Service Engine Soon (SES) light is on and these codes are present, the ICP reading through any scantool will not be accurate as the PCM is using a "default" ICP value. These codes are all "electrical" in nature. Common causes are shorts between the Red and White IPR wires or between the Red IPR wire and ground. These can also sometimes indicate a PCM problem.

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby Swamps,Tony Wildman Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
Excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

just got through messing with the icp, when i unplugged it the engine stumbled then smoothed out and the SES light was on, went for a test drive and it still doesn't seem to have the power it should

knn intake
banks exhaust
banks turbo housing
banks power elbo

automatic tranny

Old 04-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTING View Post
i will have access to a MODIS on monday, is there a test i can do on the scan tool that will test IPR duty cycle or something???
If that tool can display/record engine parameters, record ICP (psi), ICP voltage, and IPR duty cycle. On a flat section of road at steady speed, they should all be pretty steady. If you get a difference in ICP (psi) and ICP voltage (the values don't track with each other), then that points to ICP sensor/circuit problems. IPR duty cycle should also track with ICP. If the IPR is sticky, you'll see ICP overshoot in both directions like you're saying happens.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

What i found

pulled codes this morning and this is what was in there, some of these are prolly from my Juice which i COMPLETLY disconnected this morning before hooking up the scan tool.

these were in memory codes, none in pending

P1280- ICP circuit out of range low
P1249- wastegate control valve perform
P1690- wastegate control solenoid control circuit fault
P1209- INJ control pressure system fault
P0478- Exhaust pressure control valve high
P1212- ICP not as expected
P1211- ICP pressure above/below desired

at idle:
ICP (V) was.85 volts
3300 KPA not sure what that is in psi
IPR at 12%

while cranking IPR duty cycle went from 12% to 55% (cranked for about 6 seconds before it started)

CLEARED THE CODES and went for a test drive and came back with: (keep in mind that this is stock my Juice W/ Atitude is completly disconnected)

P1211- ICP pressure above below desired
P1249- wastegate control valve perform

knn intake
banks exhaust
banks turbo housing
banks power elbo

automatic tranny

Old 04-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'd say your IPR is sticking. But there's only a little data to go on, so don't hold me to that diagnosis.

Quote:
at idle:
ICP (V) was.85 volts
3300 KPA not sure what that is in psi
it's 480 psi +/-, which is where it should be at idle.
IPR at 12% That's good, too.
55% while cranking should match up to pretty high ICP (well over 500 psi or 3500 kpa). If the ICP sensor isn't sending a signal that pressure is rising, the PCM will ramp up the IPR duty cycle till it gets a response. A sticky IPR could cause that.

The P1211 and P1212 codes are definitely indications of problems with either ICP or IPR.

DTC P1209 and P1211 indicates that injection control pressure was above or below desired level under normal driving conditions.
Possible causes:
-- incorrect oil or viscosity
-- poor oil quality
-- gel fuel/no fuel
-- low fuel pressure
-- damaged IPR valve
-- high-pressure oil system leak
-- damaged high-pressure oil pump
-- damaged PCM

Continuous DTC P1212 indicates that there was no ICP detected during crank (long crank time).
Possible causes:
-- high-pressure oil system repair
-- empty/low oil reservoir at crank
-- low engine oil level or incorrect viscosity
-- IPR circuit fault
-- damaged low-pressure oil pump
-- damaged IPR valve
-- damaged ICP sensor
-- damaged high-pressure oil pump
*Check engine oil level.
* Perform KOEO On-Demand Self Test to verify ICP/IPR circuit faults are not present at this time.

You should be able to narrow it down with a bit more testing. The KOEO (Key On - Engine On) test mentioned above will command different ICP levels when run and evaluate the system performance. The engine sound will change during the test.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

i did thee Key On Engine Running test and it doesn't give me any codes, and yes the engine sound did change during the test, i'm hoping once i remove and clean the IPR that that will fix this problem.

Is there an easy way to remove the IPR with out making an IPR tool???

knn intake
banks exhaust
banks turbo housing
banks power elbo

automatic tranny

Old 04-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

New Page 0

Im assuming you have this link, dont make the special tool. I found that a deep 1 1/8" socket fits fine even with the ratchet.
Early 99 F-250. Super cab,long bed,4x4,Lariat.Mods:Boost, Egt,and Tranny Gauges, 4" turbo back, K&N intake kit, DP-TUNER 80E Flash Onboard air system with train horns, 35's in the winter, Sonnax shift kit,and.... a spare cps in the glove box
Stackedstroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

i just checked the HPOP reservior and the oil was about 3/4" from the top so this means the LPOP is fine right??

STACKEDSTROKER thanks for the advice, i'm fixin to go to sears and buy the socket now

knn intake
banks exhaust
banks turbo housing
banks power elbo

automatic tranny

Old 04-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Glad you said your going to sears I forgot to mention that it was a craftsman socket. Cost about 11 bucks but its worth it, Ive heard the sensor is very expensive and if you folow that link, its very simple to service. I used pb blaster to clean all the parts and it did a great job. Good Luck!
Early 99 F-250. Super cab,long bed,4x4,Lariat.Mods:Boost, Egt,and Tranny Gauges, 4" turbo back, K&N intake kit, DP-TUNER 80E Flash Onboard air system with train horns, 35's in the winter, Sonnax shift kit,and.... a spare cps in the glove box
Stackedstroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

ok now i don't know what to do, i pulled the IPR cleaned it all up and put it back in the truck, went for a drive, seems to run the same and i still have the extended crank, 6-7 seconds before it will fire up, also the SES light came on 3 times during the drive (about 10 miles) with the P1211, my chip is still unplugged so does this mean my HPOP is going out???

knn intake
banks exhaust
banks turbo housing
banks power elbo

automatic tranny

Old 04-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Could be your injector o-rings. Notice any difference between cold and hot? Sometimes, an o-ring leak will be OK when cold, but leak enough to cause problems when the engine heats up.

If your injector o-rings haven't been changed, they'll be the square cross-section ones, which have been updated to a special cross-section on the center ring (I think).

The square ones that my truck originally had were pretty torn up when pulled, although I never had problems with them.

If you get your hands on a 0-5000 psi gauge, and some hose adapters/fittings you can check your HPOP and injector o-rings by comparing pressure attained with each head blocked off, then block both off and recheck. You actually don't need a gauge, but it's probably handier than using the ICP sensor to monitor pressure. It needs to be swapped to the end of a hose when checking the passenger side HP oil rail.

Oh, your LPOP is probably fine. You can confirm that with a pressure gauge on the HPOP reservoir.

Last edited by klhansen; 04-07-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

injector o-rings were changed about 4 months ago, there is no difference between hot and cold, i just can't figure out why i have the extended crank, and i know my HPOP is weak but itss never thrown a 1211 stock before. if i had the coin i'd just but a PULSE,lol

knn intake
banks exhaust
banks turbo housing
banks power elbo

automatic tranny

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.