The Diesel Stop banner

Best oil to use for 7.3L with 399,800 miles

69K views 67 replies 11 participants last post by  cellfisha 
#1 ·
I just got this truck and it's my first diesel truck. I am wondering what I should use on the oil change. Should I go Syn?

#3 ·
As long as you use a quality, diesel rated, oil you'll be fine. I notice a difference when I run synthetic oil, but it is a lot more expensive.

#4 ·
#20 ·
I have wasted so much time on those rebates and still have not seen a cent. I called their customer service and they told me I had already cashed my two rebates. Said the same for the rebates I sent in for my Dad's truck. My memory is not that bad that I would have forgotten free money ;-)

I don't even waste my time anymore.

Hope you guys have better luck.

OP... Where in CO? When you have time add your personal info and vehicle to your signature.

Cheers

#6 ·
Thank you again 96Cobra, yan7gin and thank you Maryland dieselnick for the reply and info. I live in Colorado so very cold climate. With the truck having 399,000 on it, I do want to make sure I give it more than good protection. I was leaning towards Syn because of the high mileage, but wanted input from people who have owned diesels for awhile. I seen the Motorcraft filters and was wondering if they were an ok or good filter, or if there are some that work better for the extra price.

Any thoughts on the royal purple brand? I've seen where some believe that is the way to go.

#7 ·
IMO no need to spend that much for engine oil, rotella or delco (i thing) will do great for your truck.

I used royal purple in race engine but not in a DD

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
Now Royal Purple will be very expensive.

Motorcraft filter I'd the ticket.

Now that winter is here, you need to check your fuel system, charging system, cooling system and individually load test the batteries.

You need to power flush the fuel bowl and install a new filter. You need to slip a 3/8 hose up onto the fuel bowl drain pipe up underneath and other end in a jug. Open drain lever and turn key on. Turn back off after it stops. Open up, blast sediment out into drain with WD40 with straw on it.

Look into a regulated fuel return and the Hutchmod

Read overviews like the coffee table book, so you understand how this engine works. It will make things easier on you.

#9 ·
Ok yan7gin. No on the purple. Thank you. =)

Maryland dieselnick. I really appreciate the valuable info. I am use to working on my gas rides when and if I can. I would like to be able to do the same on this truck. I will power flush the fuel bowl and install a new fuel filter. The batteries are brand new so I believe I am good there. The coolant is like new. I should get the charging system checked while I am doing the scan for codes.

Do you think it would be wise to take it to the auto shop and pay them the $85 or so to just put it on the fancy machine to get the goods and hopefully not bad's on the entire thing? Just a thought...

#10 ·
Dont pay for a scan. Buy AE with ford enhanced pkg. only buy the latest Giotto version.

Start researching flushing the cooling system with cleaner and distilled water so you can install ELC coolant. You don't want corrosion and cavitation damage.

This baby is high miles and not knowing the history, you need to reoringed the injectors and ipr. Cheap and can be done in an afternoon.

You need to google 7.3 ICP sensor image. Find one that shows old style and new style. Get a new style.

#13 ·
Sounds like I need to get a Chilton manual so similar so I can work on this engine and truck. I will look for an AE that you mentioned.

I googled the ICP. Are these the old and new in this pic?

Attachments

#14 ·
Thank you 323flint. I'll make sure and get the Giotto version Nick.

#15 ·
With 400,000 miles on her maybe you should find out what the PO was using.

#16 ·
Hey bigb. He told me what he used, but I forgot what it was. I should call him and ask. That does bring up a good point. Since the truck is still very strong, it may be some great oil. I do remember him saying he put (Lucas) in it with every oil change. Is that something that any of you gents use in your trucks? The Lucas oil treatment?

#19 ·
I don't use Lucas Oil additive and I have often read that such aftermarket additives can negatively affect the very high quality factory additives already found in the better synthetic diesel oils like Rotella T6.

Cheers

#18 ·
I will check it out Nick. Is the one on the right the newer style ICP?

#21 ·
If you are mechanically inclined then you can work on this truck. Read the stuff nick mentioned to get you a good base to understand these trucks, they are great but they are their own breed!
As for your question about oil, I run either Motorcraft or rotella conventional diesel 15/40 and I do put in a quart of the Lucas pure synthetic every change. I'm in Texas and my requirements are going to be different than yours though. If you go with synthetic oil I wouldn't worry about additives... (Although I would continue to use additives in the fuel.)

#23 ·
Hi Gator. Thank you for the info. I am looking forward to getting to know and working on this truck. I ended up buying the T5 rotella for this oil change. I believe I will go with the T6 on the next one and continue to use that. I wanted to do a blend first because I have heard once you go full SYN, it's not good to go back to anything else.

What kind of fuel add do you use and why? Just wondering.

#27 ·
I am in a very cold climate Nick. It's 20* outside now and will be 10* in the morning when I get on the road, so I'm going to need a good winter oil. I "think" the T5 blend I bought today will be good for the winter weather. I'm going to make time in the afternoon when it warms up a bit and change the oil.

I seen where someone talked about draining the old oil from the HPOP. Is that something to do or a waste of time? I hope it was the HPOP and I didn't get that wrong. It has been a day ago since I read about that. That's a long time to remember something. :grin2:

#30 ·
I received some awesome news today on the truck. I had to take it in for emission test today in order to get my plates for the truck. The dude doing the test said he was amazed that the truck has 400,051 miles on it. The test goes from 0-35 and the truck blew a 5. He said he see's newer trucks come in with half the miles, not near as much power and blowing way higher numbers. That was a big relief to me. I am feeling great about the engine now. Makes me wonder what some of the other trucks on this site has for millage and how good they are running.

Is there a thread on trucks with millage here? Obviously.... I haven't looked. =)

#33 ·
Diesel requires Cetane. Gassers require octane. Completely different animal and Cetane boosters do actually help out.

The main issues with using waste motor oil are that it is dirty, will contain some moisture, and doesn't completely mix with your diesel.
The biggest of these being that it's dirty. If you do choose to use it I would strongly recommend doing the pre-pump filter and helper pump mod.

#34 ·
Ok Gent's. I have the oil changed and added Diesel Kleen. She is purring like a kitten. What a difference. I also bought the ScanGauge2 but I'm a bit of a dork when it comes to these things. I can't seem to get to the area where I can view trans temp and advanced features. In the basic stuff, I don't know the HP of the engine. just crazy little stuff that is keeping me from dialing it in.

Can anyone walk me thru this?

#35 · (Edited)
#36 · (Edited)
Good morning Gent's.

Thank you ArcticDriver for the thread tip. I found some codes online and looked at the ones in the thread you mentioned and some of the numbers from what I found online were different, so I changed them to the thread codes. I have put them in the scangauge2 and they seem to be working fine.

I have the most important ones displayed on the screen. (Trans temp, oil temp, coolant temp). I am going to be pulling a cargo trailer from here to MO to pick up my mini van and a few boxes. The trailer is 8.5 x 20. Going over I'll be empty, but coming back, will be loaded with the van and stuff.

Is there something else I need to pay attention to on the scangauge that I really should load into it? The only thing I can't figure out is the horse power on the scangauge. Do you know how I can set that up? Is it showing percentage of HP on the scan tool? I have to admit, I'm not the best when it comes to computer stuff.

I appreciate all the advise ya'll have provided for me. You Gent's have been a blessing to me in learning about my new ride and I can't say THANK YOU enough.

#37 ·
Here's my new ride.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.