??best way to warm up truck - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
gtx

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
??best way to warm up truck

what is the best way to bring a cold engine up to operating temp.
should i bring it up on fast idle, or should i close the back pressure valve.

y closing the back pressure valve am i causing any harm???.

tony b :
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: ??best way to warm up truck

just let it idle, and i believe the back pressure valve is to help it warm up quiker.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

Well actually it is not good to let a cold engine idle very long. I personally if it is cold let mine idle no more than 30 seconds, then take off and just be real easy with it. Letting it idle when cold will cause the unburnt fuel to wash the walls and could cause wetstacking. But just let it smooth out and oil pressure to build then drive easy till its starts warming up.

wells
mtnbkr132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I let my oil pressure come up, then watch for about another thirty seconds as my EGT comes up to about 200 degrees
gonzotex64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Man that is crazy talk my trans wont let me move unless i let my truck warm up for at least 5 to 10 mins. If youre in a hurry it just does not sound good if you start and go. I will never start and go.its just not good.
Black 00 F350 4 door duly. 6.5 inch procomp lift. 10 lug big wheel kit 22.5 alcoas 255/70 yokahama 507s.Diesel dynamic injectors,Snow water meth.TN turbo, tipton exstream burn,Suncoast Tranny,Blackcloud 7" stacks,Westren deisel brake,And all the little stuff. Also 08 f350 bone stock.
cjfloyd25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Better than oil contamination and wetstacking!

Wells
mtnbkr132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Since I got my DPtuner with the high idle I start it up and put it on high idle and let it run till I'm ready to go. On high idle the EGT's stay high enough to not worry about cylinder wash or wet stacking.
2001 F-350 CC DRW, 4X4, Auto trans, Pyro, Boost, Trans temp gauges, DPTuner F-5 chip,4" turbo back exhaust, ATS Turbo housing, SPDiesel overboost eliminator, AIH delete,manual T/Clockup, Sonnax/tricumulator kit,TruCool Max trans cooler,Home made tymer intake, Firestone Riderite airbags, B&W turnover ball
duallycruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

30 seconds when it is 95 degreas out side yea. But when yore block is 20 degreas that cant be good.
Black 00 F350 4 door duly. 6.5 inch procomp lift. 10 lug big wheel kit 22.5 alcoas 255/70 yokahama 507s.Diesel dynamic injectors,Snow water meth.TN turbo, tipton exstream burn,Suncoast Tranny,Blackcloud 7" stacks,Westren deisel brake,And all the little stuff. Also 08 f350 bone stock.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

up here in seattle, when its gettinn around 40 or below i let it idle for mabye like 2 mins. then drive slow for like 5 miles, then all hell breaks loose, its ricer time.
2002 f350 crew cab short box 3inch tuff country level kit 315 toyo mudd terrains on 8 inch nitto rims afe stage11 intake with pre filter window tint leer canopy auto meter quages . 4 inch mbrp exhaust. superchips 1805 tuner. towinn our 2004 27 ts komfort tt.

http://community.webshots.com/user/rws444psd
rws444psd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Even at work where i run heavy equipment we have been told to let tractors warm up for at least 5 mins. I have pushed that and even big machines dont run right unless there warm.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have a remote start on my truck and it runs for 12 minutes before shutting off if I haven't turned the key. I've done this for hundreds of hours over the past few years. I'll let it warm up while I take a quick shower. And until last year I didn't think it was a problem. I windowed the block. Tore it apart. And nothing showed signs of premature wear or wet stacking. To this day I still start my truck up before I go and let it idle for several minutes before I drive it. I don't really believe that wet stacking or premature wear unless you don't drive it to full operating temperature before shutting it down for a while.

My Truck

01 SC PSD Dually (build date 08-00 w/ PMRs), 8" Edge, dual F&R Doetsch aluminum shocks w/ resevoirs, 37" SSR on all 6 tires, 2" (hub & wheel centric) wheel adapters by Fearless Fred Goeske, Fabtech racing track bars.

APC Projectors (HID 10k), clear corners, clear cab lights, clear dually side markers, Amp-Research retractable side-steps, power rear-slider, Snug-Top canopy, billet grill, and chrome truck nutz!

Fully built motor w/ B-codes, GT42R, and Terminator w/ remote IPR HPOS.

Auto Enginuity Pro-Bundle equipped if you need assistance locally.
duallyduty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 07:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

Read the sticky at the top of the forum on how to operate your PSD in the cold. Just keep the rpm under a couple of grand until you get the coolant temp into the operating range. The only thing closing the EBPV will hurt is the fuel milage and performance.

Just a side note: It does not get cold enough in Mt. Airy Maryland or Seattle, WA. to bother plugging the darn thing in.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/trimmed Snorkel; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED; Auto Magic Heater Bypass; 2W Low Switch.
Cool_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Letting a cold engine warm up at 1200 rpms is not a good idea, buy an AIC off of ebay ane set it to 900 rpm and warm up for 5 to 10 mins, i have several pieces of equipment and thats what i do and all of them i can bump the idle to 900 rpm.
2002 F-350 4wd psd. hx 48 turbo, single shot injectors, dual stage nitrous, 4 inch duals, 3 pos custom tuned dp chip,ccv mod, aih delete mod,itp regulated return, oil crossover line, sp diesel 10 level kit, afe stage 2 cold air kit, and many other mods and inventions made to engine. monstorbox tranny,triple disc tq, ladder bars, 4 inch susp lift, dick cepek tires on american racing rims and beadlocks, Ford AIC, Auto Enguinity.Billet Badges, custom badges.F-444 Gettin' Stroked

White 2-180 3208 cat
Massey Ferguson 35 3 cyl perkins
Massey Ferguson 6180 6 cyl perkins
Massey Ferguson 255 4 cyl perkins
Massey Ferguson 65 4 cyl perkins
Agco LT-75 4 cyl Cummins
Case 1845C Skid Steer 4 cyl cummins
Case 580 construction King Backhoe 4 cyl case
1986 F-250 6.9 IDI 4x4 265,000 miles *sold*
1994 4wd f-250 ext cab psd
2180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2006, 09:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

if i dont let my truck warm up to operating temp,....it will stall out and die with a loud knocking sound and no power....then take forever to start back up then would run like total crap rocking the truck back and forth untill its warm......whats up with that??????
Old 10-27-2006, 11:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Diesels don't produce heat like a gas engine at idle. Have oil pressure, drive it with moderation until temperature starts to register. If you want to waste fuel and the motor, let it idle to warm up. It's yours to do with what you please.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.