BEWARE!! DAVES DIESEL, ANGOLA IN. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2005, 01:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BEWARE!! DAVES DIESEL, ANGOLA IN.

Just wanted to put a warning out to anyone in the Angola, IN area. I needed an injector and didn't know which one. Figured the local diesel shop was my best bet for analysis. I called and scheduled to have the old dually hooked up to the computer. I described my symptoms and told the guy on the phone I needed to know which injector was bad so I could change it and planned on buying the injector from them. When I called to check on it the next day, they told me they had it tore down and could have a new one in and done by morning to the tune of $1200. I asked why they needed to tear into it to do a buzz test and they said they had to check compression to make sure it was the injector. I told them to put it together and I would finish it myself. I was told it would be around $200 for the diagnosis and $300 for my injector. I also needed a back-pressure sensor. So I'm looking at around $600 to do it myself, or $1200 for them to do it. I was told they would make me a "heck of a deal" since it was already tore apart and would do it for $800. Grand total for 1 injector and bp sensor= $800.
To add insult to injury, I had another go out and went down the road 1/4 mile and had a diagnosis done for a whopping $0. Lesson learned!! NO more Daves for me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2005, 08:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Re: BEWARE!! DAVES DIESEL, ANGOLA IN.

could prolly save a few and get the ebp eliminator from http://www.spdiesel.com/ ... or you could check and make sure it not just plugged up. 30 bucks though to not have to mess with it again ain't bad though.
ChrisMartinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2005, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

In hindsight, I would have tried the EBV eliminator, but at the time, I just needed my truck back, and was pretty pi$$ed. I think I have had enough of this money pit, and plan on trying a Duramax. I know I will probably hear it from all the faithfuls here, but I'm not sold on the 6.0 and am not real impressed with Fords inability to stand behind thier product. Regardless what I buy, it will never be seen in Daves Diesel parking lot!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to put a warning out to anyone in the Angola, IN area. I needed an injector and didn't know which one. Figured the local diesel shop was my best bet for analysis. I called and scheduled to have the old dually hooked up to the computer. I described my symptoms and told the guy on the phone I needed to know which injector was bad so I could change it and planned on buying the injector from them. When I called to check on it the next day, they told me they had it tore down and could have a new one in and done by morning to the tune of $1200. I asked why they needed to tear into it to do a buzz test and they said they had to check compression to make sure it was the injector. I told them to put it together and I would finish it myself. I was told it would be around $200 for the diagnosis and $300 for my injector. I also needed a back-pressure sensor. So I'm looking at around $600 to do it myself, or $1200 for them to do it. I was told they would make me a "heck of a deal" since it was already tore apart and would do it for $800. Grand total for 1 injector and bp sensor= $800.
To add insult to injury, I had another go out and went down the road 1/4 mile and had a diagnosis done for a whopping $0. Lesson learned!! NO more Daves for me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets see here, you took the "old dually" down to a non-Ford diesel service. You know that an injector is bad but not which one and can't make an analysis on your own. You want the service to make a diagnosis, for free, so you can fix it yourself. The diesel service tears it down without instructions from you and you get charged 800 bucks for one injector and a BP sensor. Had another go out, how long between?, and got the second diagnosis for free. How much to change the injector at the free diagnosis place and how much service do you expect for nothing?
How does your taking your "old dually" to a non-Ford diesel service (s) translate into you latest post that Ford doesn't stand behind their products. Think that you can get free service and parts on that Duramax you now "plan on trying" ?
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
Oneof6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2005, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
translate into you latest post that Ford doesn't stand behind their products. Think that you can get free service and parts on that Duramax you now "plan on trying" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if FORD dealers stopped using Mercon V in our Mercon only transmissions, wiser people like us TDS'ers would have more confidence in them and take them there for service. In the meantime, yeah we're a little cynical. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Chris

2002 F350 CC 4x4 SB Lariat Blue & Silver, General AT2 295/75/16's on 16x8 Panther Rims, KYB Monomax Shocks, Euro Style Tail Lights, billet fuel door, Putco chrome handles, Autometer Z Gauges & Pillar Pod, Billet Grill, Bullbar, JVC KD-AR870 head unit, Sirius, MEI Reference Series 600 Watt amp with 6.5" Alpine DD Drive F17C components front, 6.5" Jensen components in rear, Better Built truck box, auxiliary backup lamps, acetoned badges, blacked out lower weld seams, Dodge auto-dimming rearview mirror, Avital alarm system, heater by-pass mod, in-tank, harpoon and pre-pump mods, 5" SS exhaust tip.

2002 Acura el (only available in Canada)
2002 Fleetwood Wilderness 31G
1988 Campion Allante, 19.5' w/ Merc 5.7 litre
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2005, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
translate into you latest post that Ford doesn't stand behind their products. Think that you can get free service and parts on that Duramax you now "plan on trying" ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if FORD dealers stopped using Mercon V in our Mercon only transmissions, wiser people like us TDS'ers would have more confidence in them and take them there for service. In the meantime, yeah we're a little cynical. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

and it even tells then what to use on the dipstick [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I understand the anger and definately agree with you being mad about them taking it on there own to do a compression test. They should have called beforehand (depending on your original agreement about what exactly was going to be done on the diagnosis) when/if they realised that just a buzz test wasn't going to be a determining factor on what needed to be done.

I ALWAYS discuss EXACTLY what is going to happen for the diagnostics test with the mechanic before leaving the shop.

Having been "burned" before (because of not taking time to discuss it) is what caused me to spend the money for the Autoenginuity system so I could do most diagnostics on my own. Paid for itself the first time I used it (found the problem injector I needed to replace).

I don't see the prices to be toooo far out of line (maybe except for the diagnostic fee). If they are willing to install one injector for $300 (assuming this is parts and labor combined) I would do it in a heartbeat! I was told an injector replacement would be about $1000 (parts and labor). Consider this price was for a van though (they always charge more for vans because of difficult access).

The injector I bought cost me $220 and I got the (semi unwanted) experience of changing it myself. $200 for the diagnosis seems way out there though (they had to be adding in the cost of the compression test and maybe a couple of coffee breaks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ). I will never hesitate to change one again if needed. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I will agree also with Oneo6's last sentence about the Dodge.

I would like to know why you say "Fords inability to stand behind there product" and how it relates to the problems you had getting the truck diagnosed and fixed.

I am not trying to slam you in any way (I just don't understand some of it) and I hope it all works ok for you in the end.

My Father worked for GM for 28 years, I have driven Chevy's, Dodges and now I own Fords........I don't have a problem with any of them personally (they all have there unique difficulties to deal with).

Lastly......if you have a problem with Ford and their service you will have the same type of problems with any other manufacturer of any other truck you buy.
Pair of K&N High flow filters
HPX Hose from D.I. (blew out.....pulled it and plugged now)
In-tank and prepump mods (homemade version)
203* thermostat (dieselsite)
Tru-Cool 4739 MAX Transmission cooler (dieselsite)
Boost Relief Valve (dieselsite)
Pillar mount Di-Pricol gauge set
Sonax/tricumulator (Black Cloud)
Jody flashed econo tune PCM (DP-Tuner)
Van specific regulated fuel return (ITP)
70k miles driven annually...mostly pulling 8 1/2 foot tall 7x14 enclosed trailer
Cruise on at 61mph and 1736rpm's I don't stop 'till she needs more go juice!
stroked_van is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2005, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

May I chime in I have worked at Ford, Dodge, and Chevrolet dealerships. That's why I hesitate to take my vehicles to the dealer. I truly believe that ford (actually International) is producing the best diesel engines in a pickup at this time. I worked for a garbage disposal company in the light truck shop and all they run is Fords. With very few problems. If you knew the drivers I know there you would be impressed with the ford. Just my 2 cents worth.
My Driver 99 250 PSD still stock except for Leveling kit and 35x12.50x16.5 wheels and tires centerline wheels other vehicles, 28 Model A w/rumble seat driveable, 56 dodge 1/2 ton pickup w/ right hand steering ( didnt make it to Europe) driveable, 64 Impala SS less than 25,000 miles, 67 C10 shortbed stepside complete customized
standupguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Strokedvan, The problem I have with Ford has to do more with other problems than this one. For instance, a clutch problem in 99's that evidently doesn't exsist, an auto tranny that won't hold up to stock engines, ball joints that were destined to fail prematurely, etc,etc. Sure, they will fix this stuff up to 36k, but for example GM had truoble with injectors in 01 and 02 so they stretched the coverage to 200k miles. Maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth from this truck( and I know some people drive forever and have no troubles), but I am real gunshy about buying a Ford. I am going to own a new truck this month, one way or another. I have 4 kids and need the room of a full crew cab so the dodge is out. That leaves me with either a Greyhound bus or the chevy, and the bus won't fit in the barn.
As for someone else wanting to know what I want for free, I don't expect anything for nothing, but I don't expect to be raped by a so-called reputable business, either. When a shop just down the street(Countryside Repair) can diagnose my problem as a courtesy, and Dave's wants over $200 for the same thing, I smell a crook.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Build a bigger barn??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

On a more serious note, I don't know about the clutch problem but as far as I am concerned....you are entirely correct about the tranny not being built strong enough [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I am about to replace the ball joints in my rig, but I do have right at 190k miles on 'em. I have heard others complain of this though.

These things breaking down are about like the mileage they get:
Some people get 10 - 11 mpg while others get 22 - 23 mpg.
Some people never have to work on 'em while others are constantly breaking down. Seems strange about the inconsistencies of 'em.
Some of it is the way they are driven.......Some of it just seems to be repetitive mysterious failures of the same parts.....go figure [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

I will have to say that my favorite vehicles so far have been the Fords but I've read a lot of good things about the new Chevy trucks also.

I personally will not own another Dodge van (Just had some real strange things with my last one (primary problem was having to buy things from the dealer that you could buy at local auto parts stores for other vehicles)). I have talked to a few Duramax owners that were real happy with there trucks. If I were able to use a truck for business I would at least consider the possibility of the Duramax. With that said, I can only think of a few people right now in my line of work that pull there trailers with the Dodge trucks (almost all of them run powerstroke trucks or vans of some sort). I understand about needing more room for the family than they offer up though.

I guess you could say that I am kind of gunshy with the Dodges just as you are with Ford right now. Man, you have a bad experience with a product and it's kind of hard to stick with that brand (especially something as expensive as these trucks are)!!! I try to treat my customers the absolute best I can for that very reason. I have failed at doing that a few (VERY FEW) times in the last 14 years and lost those customers as a result (makes me sick on the rare occassion that has happened).

As I said earlier I was IN NO WAY trying to slam you on it (I figure with just the mention of Dodge or Chevy around here will bring enough of that on) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I really do hope that you can get everything sorted out and get a good vehicle for your purposes (no matter what the brand). If you happen to want a bus to haul the kiddos around......well.....prepare to buy some lumber and start building [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Pair of K&N High flow filters
HPX Hose from D.I. (blew out.....pulled it and plugged now)
In-tank and prepump mods (homemade version)
203* thermostat (dieselsite)
Tru-Cool 4739 MAX Transmission cooler (dieselsite)
Boost Relief Valve (dieselsite)
Pillar mount Di-Pricol gauge set
Sonax/tricumulator (Black Cloud)
Jody flashed econo tune PCM (DP-Tuner)
Van specific regulated fuel return (ITP)
70k miles driven annually...mostly pulling 8 1/2 foot tall 7x14 enclosed trailer
Cruise on at 61mph and 1736rpm's I don't stop 'till she needs more go juice!
stroked_van is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2005, 01:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

I would have to agree with one0f6 on this one. Don't be such a cheap a$$. These trucks do cost some money over time to maintain and thingS do tend to break now and then, but to expect handouts from everone in town is a little to much for me. Next time pull the "old dually" down to the local SOUP KITCHEN and see if they can help you out. As far as the greyhound or the duaramax go I would suggest the greyhound, at least when it breaks and you can't find anyone to trade some chickens for the repair you can always live in it. Good luck
roymunsin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.