The Diesel Stop banner

A bit of coolant; water pump or something else?

825 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  farnorthdriver 
#1 ·
You know the 90 degree metal elbow that's attached to the water pump that the lower radiator hose attaches to?
I have a drip of coolant that forms on the lower edge of that elbow where it attaches to the water pump after shutdown.

...So it looks like its coming from where the elbow attaches to the water pump. Do you think it's leaking there? Does that gasket in there have a reputation of failing? Or do I need a new water pump? Where do you typically see leaks when the water pump goes?
Crawling under and looking around I also see one drip of coolant on the oil pan about 3" from the oil drain plug and another drip on the head of one of the oil pan flange bolts
About 93,000 on the truck. And can't quite tell if the coolant level has changed .....maybe but if so, not much.
Thanks

#2 ·
That flange connection for the WP elbow takes a square cross-section o-ring, and it could be leaking there. You need to follow the leak up to it's source. If it's coming from above the flange, then it's time for a new WP. If that's the original WP, that's pretty good service. Is the elbow sheet metal or a cast one? Might be corroded, causing the leak.

#3 ·
If you decide to change out the water pump you may want to consider using the International version for the DT444E engine. The lower hose comes from the opposite side, but there is a mounting point for a filter where your current pump hose mounts. This would let you mount an SCA filter right on the pump. The link I'm giving is only for illustration--I don't know anything about these guys; they just had a good picture.

International T444E Water Pump Sales, 1831676C92, 1889249C91

Note they also sell the stock water pump.

Edit: I read through all your mods and see you already have a coolant filter. I'll leave this here for others.

#4 ·
So tracing the leak, here's what I found.
After shutdown, all areas under/around pump and hoses are bone dry.
I then continued to check the area every half hour from 4PM until 10PM and still bone dry.
Got up this morning and checked and found a drop of coolant hanging on the bottom edge of the 90 degree inlet elbow as described in the original post. Everything above the elbow and the area around the bottom of the water pump pulley is dry.
I plan to replace the elbow and seal and hope for the best. --Would be nice if the leak is really coming from here and not from the water pump.

#5 ·
I responded to your other post about OEM waterpump.

I also had a leak where you describe at that rubber square o-ring Kevin talked about above. My elbow was the original factory sheet-metal one and so I replaced it with the cast elbow and o-ring and no more trouble.

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I hope I'll experience the same.

Reactions: ArcticDriver
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.