Block Heater 99 F350 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Block Heater 99 F350

Looking for the Block heater in a 99 F350 7.3L PS. I have a plug but it looks like it is hooked up to the transmission.
Tim Idom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

it is the only plug in your grill area.........
galexander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galexander View Post
it is the only plug in your grill area.........
There is a plug in the grille area but I followed it out and it is going into the transmission into 2 different areas.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

It should go into the engine block. I have not traced mine out but that is what I read. You can do a search on this site for block heater if you want more info...
Old 11-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well I tried to upload a pic but I'm not tech savy. The block heater wire runs on top of the drivers side frame rail, turns to the left where it enters block at the oil cooler right above the oil filter.
corinthians is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

That is good to know. I have to plug mine in when it is cold because I have 3 bad glow plugs that I need to replace.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just a heads up.. I just got done ordering Glow Plugs and Valve cover gaskets for replacement. I wasnt aware that the Valve cover gaskets are reusable. at 90.00 each I will reuse the ones I have and return the ones I bought unless the pins look bad. Thanks for your help on the heater
Old 11-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

What brand of glow plugs did you get? I read some of the cheap ones won't last very long and can swell/break. I'm going with motorcraft. Thanks for the heads up on the valve gaskets. You might check out this article before replacing your glow plugs.

"Glow plug removal article"

Last edited by galexander; 11-19-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Idom View Post
Looking for the Block heater in a 99 F350 7.3L PS. I have a plug but it looks like it is hooked up to the transmission.
Crawl under the truck with your head under the oil filter. Look up to the base of the oil filter. That is also the base of the oil cooler. The so-called block heater element screws into the oil cooler base above the oil filter. That orange electric cord you see there runs to the grill area of the truck, where you would plug it inti an extension cord.

The heater element is screwed into a water jacket. There are both oil and water jackets in the oil cooler.

Here's mine, looking up from below the oil filter. That white blob is the filter.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.