Block Heater on my 99.5 7.3 blows the house fuse? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Block Heater on my 99.5 7.3 blows the house fuse?

Hey guys, Everytime I plug in my engine block heater on my 1999.5 7.3 F250 its fine in the beginning then it blows the circuit breaker fuse on the electric box in my house.The same thing happens at my job with the fuse blowning and needing to be reset.Now I am using a heavyduty extention cord and I tried 3 different extention cords.I know I can just go and buy a new engine heater block set up but I figured I ask here first if there is something simple to fix or look for before spending the cash that I dont have on a new one.I'm thinking there must be a short circuit happening.I want to try and get this working before winter really sets in.And also yes it was doing this before I installed the 2012 nose so it's not from the new nose installation.Thanks for any ideas or info.

Last edited by shatesme; 10-10-2012 at 09:25 PM.
shatesme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Could the cord have been cut or pinched while you were doing your project?
2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
fordsforever73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

The block heater is actually only two parts, the cord and the heating element itself. :shrug:

Not much to it. I don't know if I would even troubleshoot it. They're 70 bucks on ebay. You could just buy the cord by itself too for half that.

But, if you've got a meter, just disconnect the cord from the heater element and ohm out the cord and then the heating element by itself.

Though, if the problem is the cord, you might need a megger, not a regular ohm meter.

Check your wiring harness: Chaffed wiring at driver's valve cover.

Keep everyone (and yourself) updated:7.3 mileage and repair thread

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
ReefBlue is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

ok thanks guys I'll check the cord tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatesme View Post
ok thanks guys I'll check the cord tomorrow.
I had that happen with mine a couple years ago and I finally found the cord had frayed further in (it was hard to find), but was shorting out from it. I cut the cord back to the short and spliced in the male end from an older heavy duty extension cord. It's worked perfectly ever since.
'13 F350 Platinum 6.7L Dsl- Black/Black, CCLB, 4x4, FX4, Bakflip F1, Recon smoke tail/cab lights, AMI Chrome/Bk fuel door, Xenarc LCD monitor, dvd, rhino liner, wndw tint, Mytouch Lockpick, Super5th 20.5k hitch w/ removable base rails
ssmblazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmblazer View Post
I had that happen with mine a couple years ago and I finally found the cord had frayed further in (it was hard to find), but was shorting out from it. I cut the cord back to the short and spliced in the male end from an older heavy duty extension cord. It's worked perfectly ever since.
I'll try what you did first before I buy a new one.What do you think cause it? the exhaust manifold? dry rot? rubbing?
Old 10-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatesme View Post
I'll try what you did first before I buy a new one.What do you think cause it? the exhaust manifold? dry rot? rubbing?
Just rubbing. And mine is an '05, so it really happened after 6 years. I had a friend with an '03 that had the exact same issue and basically did the same fix. Good luck.
'13 F350 Platinum 6.7L Dsl- Black/Black, CCLB, 4x4, FX4, Bakflip F1, Recon smoke tail/cab lights, AMI Chrome/Bk fuel door, Xenarc LCD monitor, dvd, rhino liner, wndw tint, Mytouch Lockpick, Super5th 20.5k hitch w/ removable base rails
ssmblazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmblazer View Post
Just rubbing. And mine is an '05, so it really happened after 6 years. I had a friend with an '03 that had the exact same issue and basically did the same fix. Good luck.
Thanks again guys,I will try everything you adviced. I heard its gonna be a wild winter up here in the north east this year so I just wanna be ready.Thanks alot..
Old 10-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
What usually kills the cord for the block heater is allowing the plug in the grill or front bumper area to flop around in the breeze. After you get it repaired this time, you want to find a good strong place and tie it up very tightly so it cannot flop around. Or better yet, replace the stock plug on your block heater cord with a Marinco plug, then install that Marinco plug into the front of the truck per the following link:
TheDieselStop.Com - Marinco Plug Mod

If you don't believe in doing anything half-way, then instead of a Marinco plug, spend the big bucks for a Kussmaul Super Ejector plug. Then when you forget to unplug the block heater before you go driving down the road, the ejector will save your bacon. The ejector plugs are used by fire departments because the firemen don't have time to be piddling with an extension cord when the bell goes off.
Kussmaul Electronics Super Auto Eject, 120 Vac, 15 Amp

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
What usually kills the cord for the block heater is allowing the plug in the grill or front bumper area to flop around in the breeze. After you get it repaired this time, you want to find a good strong place and tie it up very tightly so it cannot flop around. Or better yet, replace the stock plug on your block heater cord with a Marinco plug, then install that Marinco plug into the front of the truck per the following link:
TheDieselStop.Com - Marinco Plug Mod

If you don't believe in doing anything half-way, then instead of a Marinco plug, spend the big bucks for a Kussmaul Super Ejector plug. Then when you forget to unplug the block heater before you go driving down the road, the ejector will save your bacon. The ejector plugs are used by fire departments because the firemen don't have time to be piddling with an extension cord when the bell goes off.
Kussmaul Electronics Super Auto Eject, 120 Vac, 15 Amp
I did buy a marinco plug but I'm not sure where I want to mount it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.