Blowing #30 fuse. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blowing #30 fuse.

Went to start my 99 PSD truck today, truck started and just a few seconds later it died, found #30 fuse (30 amp) under the dash blown, replaced the fuse, turned the key on and in about 3-4 seconds it blowed again. Manual indicates it's for the PCM and the fuel heater and others.

I suspect that it's the fuel heater, never tried to start it the second time.

Where is the fuel heater located and can I just unplug it ?
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Fuel heater plug-in is at the back driver's side of the fuel filter housing, all the way at the bottom. Yes, if you unplug it, then your PCM will come back to life after you replace the fuse (again).

Check this thread (and photos) for when you fix the fuel heater.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...-fixed-239318/
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Kevin. Kind of suspected that was it. Last time I changed the fuel filter the wire was loose there, totally forgot about where it was (Brain Fart). Fact is the last time I changed the filter I was in Alaska at Soldotna summer of 2008. Where did you get the new heater from at that cost?

Sorry found it, went back and looked further at your fix. Found it's from IH dealer. Hell of a difference in cost from IH to Ford dealers. LOL
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

Last edited by Bill1013; 12-01-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Relooked your fix.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1013 View Post
Thanks Kevin.
You're welcome, Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1013 View Post
Hell of a difference in cost from IH to Ford dealers. LOL
Yeah, must be that Motorcraft box or the plastic bag with on it that's so expensive.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Fuel Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Fuel heater plug-in is at the back driver's side of the fuel filter housing, all the way at the bottom. Yes, if you unplug it, then your PCM will come back to life after you replace the fuse (again).

Check this thread (and photos) for when you fix the fuel heater.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...-fixed-239318/
Is it possible for the fuel heater to be bad and occasionally have the use of the truck sometimes for a week or of course until a blizzard at 2 AM and then without a doubt the PCM 30 AMP fuse blows and maybe not until a warm day maybe and then a new fuse does the trick?

I hope so because I have two customers very upset as I am written this because I tell them the trucks working and then POP the 30 AMP PCM fuse blows. I have a 2000 f350 7.3 and is the plug in located at the same location which was at the bottom of the filter as well? This site is awesome and as soon as I get some uniterupted days in I will donate to this site.
rjburns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

rjburns,

I replied to yoru PM. Some info there for you to try and track it down.

I think it would be possible for the fuel heater to short intermittently. If you look at the first photo in the link I posted, you'll see the circular wire sitting on top of the 3 buttons. It's normally soldered (or stuck somehow) to the buttons, which are the actual heating elements. If it slides off and touches the plate, it will short out, as the wire carries 12V and the plate is grounded.

The quick fix is to leave the fuel heater unplugged untill you can get a chance to repair it. That takes the possibility of the bus wire vibrating over and touching the grounded plate and blowing the fuse.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just got my fuel bowl heater yesterday from IH $26.11 including tax. See post on 12/01. To darn cold to change it now 20* WC at 0*. Been a month+ since it shorted out but started and run OK, now I've got a flat tire,

Thanks again for the info Kevin. Oh by the way there list price was $60.95

To rjburns. Yup it can be intermittent, mine was several times. Now your customers will kiss you, hope they have lipstick on and not whiskers.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
rjburns,

The quick fix is to leave the fuel heater unplugged untill you can get a chance to repair it. That takes the possibility of the bus wire vibrating over and touching the grounded plate and blowing the fuse.
Yes that was the problem! THANK YOU! To think the first occasion of the #30 PCM fuse blowing was the first week of December a month ago and a week after this first post with solutions posted by you, unfortunately at that time I found the broken bolt on the wastegate solenoid and coincidentally the intermittent fuel heater short fixed itself after I replaced the solenoid so the truck worked. Four troublesome weeks later and with my focus on me possibly improperly installing the solenoid and with each attempt at correct the install by tightening this and doing that the truck miraculously worked. I can only wonder why, even though I made checking this site a priority the first time the fuse blew, I did not check the site that has solved all of my problems in the past quickly and accurately...before checking this site last night I spent the day searching the wires in the engine looking for a bare wire against the chassis I was relying on local diesel mechanics suggestions, suggestions that would have lead me to their shop. Yes my hands were frozen with no feeling in the fingers but this time after adjusting and fixing some wires that were indeed on the chassis and may have been chaffed the faulty fuel heater did not decide to work, ugh want a nightmare that would of been.

Then and only then with 10 blown fuses in hand and no more wishing upon a prayer I went to this site and spent less than an hour in a heated room to conclude from the facts presented from experienced owners and mechanic owners of the same truck did I conclude this (shorted fuel heater) may be the probable problem. Then this morning with a simple check to be certain the intermittent problem was not located somewhere else I tested the solution. With the truck running I plugged the fuel heater back in and sure enough the fuse blew. How much easier this site is in the comforts of the home to troubleshoot and then to correct the problem!

Since I am speaking of the comfort of a working truck as my truck is now, I need to ask (Do I feel lucky?) a few questions that I am reluctant to ask. The plug had diesel fuel on it? I know this may have caused the short but more importantly the little bit of fuel, a PROBLEM? I have read that a little is normal but...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

To rjburns. Yup it can be intermittent, mine was several times. Now your customers will kiss you, hope they have lipstick on and not whiskers.[/quote]

I thought it was the snow gods getting me every time there was a blizzard. I am eager to see if the fuse blows when it is 2 AM with whiteout conditions

Thanks for the confirmation, much needed! Wife was canceling an important dentist appointment due my inability(broken truck) to get to the appointment. The reply's I received from you and Klhansen prevented her from doing so.

When I told her last night that I had not fixed the truck during the day spent doing so but while in my office I have determined the cause... She laughed very hard

She has heard about the problem and the possible fix before and never from the confines of my office. She proceeded to call the manager of the dentist office (her mom) to cancel but with your replies I convinced her not to.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Since I am speaking of the comfort of a working truck as my truck is now, I need to ask (Do I feel lucky?) a few questions that I am reluctant to ask. The plug had diesel fuel on it? I know this may have caused the short but more importantly the little bit of fuel, a PROBLEM? I have read that a little is normal but...QUOTE]

That little bit of fuel on the plug shouldn't have shorted it out. The fuel may be coming from the fuel bowl drain valve o'rings. I would get a set of o'rings (2) 1/4"IDX1/2"OD Viton if you can find them, easy to change, takes a #20 Torks for the screws. If your going to get a new heater, IH has the o'rings also, Ford wants $55 for a whole new valve.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

The fitting that the fuel heater harness plugs into is sealed with o-rings also which can leak. It's similar to the drain valve, and might be a good thing to fix when you repair the fuel heater. You can just replace the o-ring and not the moisture sensor fitting (combined with the feed-thru for the fuel heater.)

Here's some info:

Water-in-Fuel sensor o-ring kit
Ford F81Z-9C065-AA (5 O-rings).
Intíl 1831204C91
F81Z-9C065-AA O-ring seal kit includes 5 O-rings....

2 each - Fuel Drain - These are Black, coated with a Yellow material.
1/2" OD X 1/4" ID X 1/8" CS

1 each - Water In Fuel Sensor (larger O-ring) - Green.
1/2" OD X 5/16" ID X 3/32" CS

1 each - Water in Fuel Sensor (smaller O-ring) - Brown.
3/8" OD X 3/16" ID X 3/32" CS

1 each - Fuel Pressure Relief Valve - Green.
15/16" OD X 3/4" ID X 3/32" CS

Water-in-Fuel Sensor

F81Z 9J294 BA
Int'l 1831197C91 or 1831197C92

Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Fuel heater? What?

Hey guys,

Just read your post about the fuel heater fix when you keep blowing fuses. I was having the same problem till I read your posts. Thanks a bunch.

However, I live in southern (on the coast) Louisiana, Do I need a fuel heater?

thanks
chad
clbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
RT

Chad - you'll need it once every hundred years when it gets cold enough there for diesel fuel to gel... Otherwise - leave it unplugged. Make sure the connector is insulated well enough that it won't short out on anything.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.