blowing grey smoke and knocking 1999 7.3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
blowing grey smoke and knocking 1999 7.3

no warning just started knocking and blowing heavy grey smoke. injector??? what would cause this? starts right up idles drove it 100 yards and shut her down. knocking loud as heck.didnt want to wreck anything. 1999 7.3 turbo

Last edited by mario714; 01-26-2010 at 11:16 AM.
mario714 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario714 View Post
no warning just started knocking and blowing heavy grey smoke. injector??? what would cause this? starts right up idles drove it 100 yards and shut her down. knocking loud as heck.didnt want to wreck anything. 1999 7.3 turbo
Youve got a failed (cracked injector tip) or youve blown an injector o-ring. Dont run the motor or youll hydrolock it. Heres what to do.

1) Locate the bad injector(s). This is time consuming because you shouldnt run a contribution test because of the chance of hydro locking the motor. So pull you injectors, Id start with the drivers side.

2)When you find the torn o ring or cracked/fractured tip that is allowing fuel to gush into the cylinder replace with a new injector and o rings.

3)Pull the glow plug on that bad cylinder, (its probably screwed up too) and hand crank the motor to get the fuel out of it.

4)Install ne GP along with your new FI youve already put in and start the truck. Its gonna smoke alot at first intil it all burns off but the audible knock should be gone.

Heres what mine looked like......
Attached Thumbnails
blowing grey smoke and knocking 1999 7.3-cracked-injector.jpg  
2001 PSD 7.3 auto DP Tuner, 4" TBE, KNN Intake (with filter charger), CCV Mod, DB Starter, Stancore GPR, ITP Overboost, John Wood installed valve body. External coolant filter. International Up Pipes.

1994 RAM 4x4 Cummins KNN, 3GSK, AFC Spring, #10 Plate, BD Valve Body, KDP, SCHWITZER S300 turbo 4" TBE.
jroller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Heres some video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4hDG_IvBHw
2001 PSD 7.3 auto DP Tuner, 4" TBE, KNN Intake (with filter charger), CCV Mod, DB Starter, Stancore GPR, ITP Overboost, John Wood installed valve body. External coolant filter. International Up Pipes.

1994 RAM 4x4 Cummins KNN, 3GSK, AFC Spring, #10 Plate, BD Valve Body, KDP, SCHWITZER S300 turbo 4" TBE.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for the information. that is exactly what shes doing same sound same smoke. was wondering if its just the o ring can i just replace that or should i still get a new injector. wit the way my lucks going im sure its cracked though lol. thanks again. i see the oring kits that are for sale but what about a rebuild kit with a tip know where to get them?

Last edited by mario714; 01-26-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: found out
mario714 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario714 View Post
thanks for the information. that is exactly what shes doing same sound same smoke. was wondering if its just the o ring can i just replace that or should i still get a new injector. wit the way my lucks going im sure its cracked though lol. thanks again. i see the oring kits that are for sale but what about a rebuild kit with a tip know where to get them?

well depending on how much the rebuild kits are ,id get one so you have it.becayse of murphys law,if you dont get it youll need it.but it you wont need it,but will have it and will ensure a long life to your injectors.according to murphy
red elc good for 150k
4r100 1-2 2-3 3-4sonnax accumulator valves,.427 sonnax line pressure mod valve
4.125"yes thats 4 1/8" diy tymar intake(size matters...lol)
AIH delete,ccv delete,zoodad mod,
4" exhaust no muff
built my own leafs for 4.0 of lift!!!!!!
18" xd bronze revolvers with 325 nittos to wrap them
isspro pyro and boost guages on pillar mount....
tattoocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Either way your gonna have to pull the injectors. Im assuming these are not new injectors (although my injectors had less than 2 weeks it happened to me) and are probably well worn.

I say if youve got that injector out replace it. The tip of that injector was super heated the last time your truck ran combined with non stop knocking.

If that fixes your issue consider yourself lucky because Orange County Diesel on 3 different occasions said the only way I would fix that issue was with a new $7,000 motor.

You also need to ask yourself, if the tip did fracture off, what happened to the tip of the injector? Did that "hydro-knock" pop my headgaskets? Bend a rod?

As stated earlier, I would locate the culprit, do a compression test if you have access, but at least slap another inj in and see how it runs.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yup, it was my injector. It wasnt cracked just had some carbon build up
on it, so it was sticking open.
99 powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.