Broken Glow Plug????? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Broken Glow Plug?????

Hey Boys,

You guys have been very helpful in your advice on replacing my glow plugs. Well, 7 out of 8 went great!!! Unfortunatley #3 didn't come out very well! It was difficult getting the old one out, as there was constant pressure as I ratcheted it out. Well, the sleeve and the tip came out, but the internal heating rod stayed in the cylinder. This is the internal medal rod that runs through the body of the glow plug, the piece that heats up. I can get a needle nose vice grip on it but it won't budge!!! This is one of 2 cylinders that have been out for awhile, this one could be the one that has been out for 2 years!

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

Thanks!
Gordie
00 Excursion
7.3 Powerstroke
gordob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

They make a glow plug removal tool for this problem. An example is this:

Removal Tool, Engine/Trans/Driveline Tools | Toolfetch

I've never used one, so if you do go this route please take pictures and consider doing a write-up. There are much better prices on e-bay.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Spray some penetrating oil in the hole and let it soak. See if that loosens anything up.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
F350_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

I tried the penetrating oil, no luck yet. That tool you reccommend looks like the ticket RT, however, plug has already broken off and came out. The heating element is stuck in there, w/ no threads or hex to grab. I'm waiting to hear from a few diesel doctors, but I'm gearing up for having to get into the cylinder for removal

Sounds like I should have stopped removal when the plug wasn't coming out normal! There was constant tension on the removal. On the others, once you get them to turn, you can thumb-turn them out. This one was tough!

I'll keep you posted!

Gordie
Old 04-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (178)
Try some carb cleaner. It'll be a bit more agressive than the penetrating oil. If the innards came out of it, you might be able to gently screw a long sheet metal screw into the sheath and use that as a puller. You'll have to be careful not to swell the sheath inside the bore and wedge it in tighter. You might try cranking the engine over and see if the compression will help push the piece out.

Hope you can get it out without pulling the head. What brand plugs were in it? Some are said to cause that type of problem.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you feel lucky, you could start it. If the combustion pressure doesn't push it out, you are probably going to have to pull the head. If it falls into the cylinder while it is running, you could bust the block.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Can you get ahold of anything with a peir of Vise Grips needle nose pliers? If you can you can try this trick that Dale Isley wrote up.

If you get a plug stuck because of a carbon head on the end of it, you can fashion a puller from a small needle nose vise grips to get it out. Take a look here:
GlowPlugTool1 pictures from cars photos on webshots

I used a long bolt to replace the stock adjustment bolt on the vise grip. For a slide weight, I used a couple acorn nuts off a semi welded together, but you could use about anything that will slip over the diameter of the bolt. You end up with this:
GlowPlugTool2 pictures from cars photos on webshots

Use the vise grip to grab the end securely, then use the slide to knock the plug back into the engine. A little carb cleaner and a good yank will usually get it out. If it wedges tight again, just repeat the process until you get enough carbon knocked off to remove the glow plug from the head.

Much easier and quicker than pulling the head. Torque spec for installing the plugs is 14lbs ft (168lbs inch).
Old 04-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's a slick tool.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Wow, Bugman, I think you're on the right path! The only thing I've been able to grab it w/ has been needle nose vice grips! My buddy has a slide hammer and was thinking of trying to weld something to the tip of the heating element rod so that he can use the slide hammer. Also, this is a plug that has been out of commissionfor possibly 2 years, so the carbon build up could be extensive. Is there anyway to apply heat to this rod to help break the carbon away? Also, do you think that this rod is too hard of a metal to weld to if we need to?

Also, you say that knocking the rod down into the engine is the best way to start. Hopefully, the needle nose don't let go, then the rod is in the cylinder....ugh!

Ok, I'm excited to try this, will keep you posted!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

One other thing that you might try if you have a boat dealer in your area is a carbon solvent that Mercury Marine sells. From what I understand it eats the carbon away if there is excessive build up. As far as welding something onto the tip, I wouldn't try it. You loose that tip of metal and you are into head pulling.

Once again I can't take credit for that puller ides since I copied it from a write up that Dale Isley did qute a few years ago.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

I hear ya about that tip falling, that's the same concern we have about the vice grip hold. We're going w/ the vice grip option first.

I've got a good buddy who owns a marina, he reccommends Carbon Guard which is a fuel additive. I've got a bottle right here that I use on my boat!

We're getting after it right now! Thanks again!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well, no movement yet. I have made a good slide hammer vice grip tool. One thing I've noticed has caused more concern. I took apart an old glow plug and realized something. The heating element rod that is stuck in there is actually 2 pieces. A smaller diameter upper pice that fits into a larger diameter piece that is the bottom portion that is in the cylinder head. My concern is that I may pull these two pieces apart, leaving the bottom portion down by the head. I'm assuming it's sooo carbon fouled that it's fused in place.

Just not sure if I should keep pounding on it!

Any thoughts Bugman?
Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

See if you can't find some of that carbon fowler remover that you just spray onto the part. Either that or PB Blaster or some carb cleaner. Just soak the dickens out of it and it should come out sooner or later, just take your time. Do you have any idea of what type of glow plug was in it that is stucked? There are some that would swell the end and are a royal pain in the back side to get out. Autolights come to mind as the worse ones.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

OK, no luck so far. Soaked it in some older industrial strength carb cleaner and we'll get back after in the a.m.! The plugs that are in there are the originals, so, not sure what they used. It doesn't look like they get bigger toward the bottom, but did notice they are 2 pieces, the upper 1/3 piece is much thinner while the bottom 2/3 piece is wider.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordob View Post
OK, no luck so far. Soaked it in some older industrial strength carb cleaner and we'll get back after in the a.m.! The plugs that are in there are the originals, so, not sure what they used. It doesn't look like they get bigger toward the bottom, but did notice they are 2 pieces, the upper 1/3 piece is much thinner while the bottom 2/3 piece is wider.
Those don't sound like stock Beru manufactured Motorcraft glow plugs. They are the same diameter from just below the threaded portion to the end. Yours must have been changed out since the truck came from the factory.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.