The Diesel Stop banner

BTS tranny problems...

7K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  losfinch 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought my BTS transmission from Cary at CT Performance back in March 2012. The tranny has approximately 80,298 miles on it since I installed it. I've noticed over the last few months that when I go to put it into reverse that it has been taking longer and longer to actually engage and move the truck. Other than that it was working fine...until today. I noticed going down the highway that it was taking a long time to shift up...staying in gear much longer than normal. I would need to let up in order to get it to shift. Then when I stopped and was needing to use reverse it began shuttering but it would move the truck. I checked the fluid and it was low so put in 1/2 quart that I had on hand and drove home (about 10 miles). Upon arriving home I added another quart as it appeared to be still low. Now I can barely get it to move in reverse...forward is a little better. I watched my temps and never got above 160 today in the drive of about 30 miles. I've never towed nor raced with this transmission. I've changed the fluid religiously at 30,000 mile intervals, always with a new filter and only have used Schaeffers All-Tranny synthetic tranny fluid in it since it was installed. I've never seen temps above 190 degrees maybe on a trip up to Arizona. Normally she runs under 165 with the 26 row cooler on it. Any suggestions or thoughts? I live and work in Mexico as a missionary and use my vehicle in 4x4 regularly but certainly not for the majority of the miles on the tranny. I'm not hearing any unusual noises but when I went back out to the truck after letting it sit for an hour I could barely get it to move in reverse to park it...I was able to get it to move forward a little easier but it still required revving the motor up some to get it to engage. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would definitely stop revving it to get it to move. Nothing good can come from that. You're going to have to bite the bullet and buy a card to call Brian. Maybe one of us on this side of the border can help coordinate a time when you can call and he can be there to talk with you. I know it costs a lot to call and be put on hold only to be told he's not available.

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah, I've parked it. I just revved it to get it parked. I was able to make it home without too much slippage (at least not enough to see the temps go over 160). I've emailed BTS hoping that he'll respond. If he doesn't I guess I can try calling...I've got a phone, its more a matter of the signal sometimes being there and sometimes not.

I'm going to try and pull the DP Tuner chip and see if for some reason that has affected it somehow. The last two times I've gone to drive it it would just spin over but not fire when I keyed the ignition. After several attempts turning it over for a few seconds it finally fired. Like there is an electrical short causing the computer to not receive a signal? Anyway, I thought that I could pull the chip and see if that isn't somehow messing up a TC signal or something???

#4 ·
There have been several people who have had alternator issues causing transmission problems. Those have been more along the lines of shifting issues as the aberrant waveforms from the bad alternator affect sensors the transmission uses for shift points. Yours sounds more mechanical than electrical.

#5 ·
Now I can barely get it to move in reverse...forward is a little better.
It's done.

I was able to get it to move forward a little easier but it still required revving the motor up to get it to engage. Thanks.
And that made sure it was dead. Revving it to get it to move will wipe out a clutch in less than five seconds, usually around 2-3 seconds makes enough heat to destroy the friction material.

Like there is an electrical short causing the computer to not receive a signal? Anyway, I thought that I could pull the chip and see if that isn't somehow messing up a TC signal or something???
It isn't electrical. NOTHING electrical can prevent a drive or reverse engagement. The TC signal isn't used in first or reverse. If anything went wrong with that signal it would lock the converter and cause a stall. What you are seeing is not due to ANY signal.

There have been several people who have had alternator issues causing transmission problems.
I've had that happen. It has nothing to do with this problem.

#6 ·
I ran a fault code check and came up with P1746. Any ideas what that means?

#7 ·
So, Mark, you're saying that it looks like its time to begin looking a new transmission again? What has happened do you think to have brought on the failure to begin with? What did I do wrong or what has happened do you think?

I'm like in shock over what I paid for the transmission and what I got out of it if it has really bitten the dust.

#8 ·
You likely had a sensor go bad causing the first slip, then you roasted it by continuing to push it. This statement is by no means condemnation but rather resignation to the fact that I have done the exact same thing... at least you are at home, I was 500 miles away in a tiny town in the panhandle of texas...

#9 ·
You need to call Brian. He is VERY willing to hep you and if you have some tools might be able to get you going again. I was just at his shop Saturday and called him today about another tranny that was not his but willing to help me get it shifting right. Sounds like yours is toast but he built it and knows it inside and out. He has built thousands of these and loves to talk about them and help you get it right.
I have 2 friends with his transmissions and have over 300,000 miles on them.
His number is 870-422-3673 ,Tina will answer the phone and get him on the line.

#10 ·
Well, my BTS transmission went out 3 years ago, after 140k miles of use....
So, I called Brian, and he said he would take care of it, "IF" I paid for the freight both ways....$750....Unfortunately he could only do it for me in 10 weeks... That is what I was told...Then I'd still have to pay a shop for R & R of about $500....
Rather than wait 10 weeks , I just went with a standard Re-Manf Ford transmission, and had it done in 3 days....Paid $3000 complete...
I've got a Y2K-X, and I'm on my 3rd transmission with 250K miles...
I knew before I purchased my Excursion that the transmission was the week spot, but did want to go with a PU truck just to get a manual transmission...
15 years and the truck is still running strong....
I guess that's the price you pay !!!!

#11 ·
I had Cary from CT Performance get a hold of Brian over BTS for me and he suggested that I first change out the in-pan filter since they've seen some filters lately actually fail and prevent the fluid from circulating. I tried that and it actually helped a little at first taking away the shudder in reverse and the slipping in drive but after about 150 feet it came back. I also found some small shiny metal shavings in the pan. I sent photos of these on to them to look at. So, Brian at BTS says he wants the transmission back. So for just the price of shipping he is proving to me why I got his transmission in the first place... the man stands behind his transmissions and work. Kudos to Cary at CT Performance. I bought the BTS transmission via him and he has done a great job with both the initial sale work and now follow-up 3.5 years later. So, its going to take a bit to get my truck back on the road since I need to get the transmission up to the border and then shipped to BTS and wait to get her back but I'm super delighted to see them standing behind their work. Happy camper :)

#12 ·
Silly question for you losfinch....

Did Brian tell you how fast the turn around time would be. ????...
I was told when my BTS tranny had crashed it would take 10 weeks for him to get it back to me...
Freight he said was $350 each way, ""BUT"" he didn't have any shipping crates, as they were all tied up...
By the time he ships you the empty shipping crate, & you get your tranny out, and ship it back to him.... & PRESUMABLY....he gets right on it..it'll still be several weeks at best...
and still cost you $12- 1500 and an undetermined amount of time....
YAHH!!! His tranmissions are REALLY good....BUT...I don't need a BTS tranny anymore as I sold my camper, and just use the truck for every day use...
Ford Re-manf. tranny had a 3 year, 100K mile warranty which I deemed oK...
and went with it as a 3 day turn around..

Take Care...I wish you luck

Tony

#13 ·
Yeah, I'm hoping it won't take that long. I was told to build a box/crate myself and ship it to him that way so that should save a little bit of time...regardless I'm hoping (and praying) that it wont take too long. I hear what your saying, but, one of the reasons that I bought the BTS in the first place was because I heard he stood behind his work. I honored him by paying top dollar and he is honoring me by standing behind it all the way. By the way, the best price I could find on the Ford HD remanufactured is almost $3300 (some dealers want up to $3700) plus a new torque converter for about another $500. So I'd have a bare minimum of $3800 into a rebuilt HD Ford one and I have to go up to the border to get it anyway. Thanks for the suggestions though.

#14 ·
Greetings losfinch ,,,,
To me it seems you,re climbing your way out of a hole,,,
Call BTS and ask them how long it will take ?...
YOU have to make your own crate ?.... Come on...it weights 250#,s or more
That only tells me he is so busy doing other people's repair work that he doesn't. Have time for you..
This to me just doesn't,t sound good...
I hope or you I,m wrong....

Take care

Tony

#15 ·
To clarify..it wasn't BTS that told me directly to build a crate but my "go-between" hoping that it would save me the time and hassle. I've yet to talk directly with BTS myself nor to find out if they have a shipping container available. We'll get it all figured out.

#16 ·
I was able to go up to the border last week with the transmission (El Paso). I was able to use one of those online shipping services and get it shipped for only $109. When I first walked in the door the place quoted me almost $700. They said that just walking in off the street would not get me a good price and that I’d do better setting it up online. At first the prices via uShip.com were in the normal $300 range but when I removed a need for them picking it up (since I was ready to drop it off directly at their terminal) it brought the price super low. Even FedEx gave me a quote of under $200, if you can believe it. So, it saved me some money to help offset the fuel and lodging back and forth to the border. Now we'll see how long it takes to get it repaired and return shipped.

Attachments

#17 ·
Be very careful with sites like uship... it is simply a bidding site and anybody can set up an account as a "transporter". Always ask for transportation authority and insurance information.

#18 ·
Greetings losfinch;

Somehow I thought you were going to call BTS, and see how long the turn around time would be....
Apparently you still don't know...

For your sake, I hope he REALLY takes care of you, because he is a good guy and has a great product....

Take Care

Tony

#19 ·
Caryt is working directly with Brian on his behalf. Works out better since Cary is a volume dealer and is on this side of the Rio to more easily call back and forth. This is a great opportunity for both Brian and Cary to show off their tremendous customer relation skills.

#20 · (Edited)
I just talked to BTS and my rebuilt transmission is on its way by FedEx to Flagstaff, Az :) They said that it will arrive by Monday to catch a friend before he leaves to come down here on Tuesday. I'm having to pay for a new convertor and some sort of solenoid (at their cost) so I've got $600 in parts and $500 between the two shippings...for a grand total of $1100. I'm really glad and thankful that its not going to be any longer than it has been....less than a month altogether. They really worked with me to get it back to me ASAP. Great customer service.

Update: Tracking says it will arrive tomorrow, Friday :)

#22 ·
My stocker made it to 205K. I don't do hardly any towing but I do use it in 4-wheel drive quite a bit. The rebuilt transmission arrived to me down here today via my friend and, Lord willing, I will be able to get it in tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.