Busted Block , what to do ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Busted Block , what to do ?

I took my truck in to have the cam sensor recall done. I'd been smelling antifreeze but couldn't see where it was coming from. The mech showed me this morning.
ON the passenger side, front of engine, the front freeze plug area , about mid way of the freeze plug on the front side just out from the plug ,

He wiped the block and you could see the Green coming though., Wiped again and it just kept popping up. I thought it was the freeze plug but he says its a crack.

Dealer wants $11K for new engine.
Mech says he's got a 02' model engine, $2500, $6K installed from his shop at home.

My thought at first look was , Where did I put that tube of JB Weld at or should I buy a new fresh tube.

what to do ? Are there any other options ? Tell me quick .......
pmccook1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
Last year my Mack dump truck was leaking anti freeze out of front of the 1500 dollar radiator because some kids was doin donughts with a 4x4 and stones flew all over everywhere. One stone put nice small pencil hole in radiator. I drained radiator, cleaned out hole with an awl and sprayed either in to clean it.
I used 4 hour JB WELD and let it set with light heat for 8 hours. Filled up radiator and have been using truck ever since and no leaks

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby Swamps,Tony Wildman Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
Excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Pmccooke:

Where are you located?

That is an excellent price for a 7.3 engine. The install price seems a bit excessive. If he guarantee's the engine, I would buy it in a heartbeat, and look elsewhere for the install.

Or do it myself,

Richard
Meatco1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccook1 View Post
I took my truck in to have the cam sensor recall done. I'd been smelling antifreeze but couldn't see where it was coming from. The mech showed me this morning.
ON the passenger side, front of engine, the front freeze plug area , about mid way of the freeze plug on the front side just out from the plug ,

He wiped the block and you could see the Green coming though., Wiped again and it just kept popping up. I thought it was the freeze plug but he says its a crack.

Dealer wants $11K for new engine.
Mech says he's got a 02' model engine, $2500, $6K installed from his shop at home.

My thought at first look was , Where did I put that tube of JB Weld at or should I buy a new fresh tube.

what to do ? Are there any other options ? Tell me quick .......
JB Weld and Evan coolant.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

i got a new 7.3L motor with 57K on it 1 year warranty and rebuuild tranny all installed for under 7g's ... I blew a Rod on the old motor ....had the work done at a MotorWORKS..

DP-Tuner Stock, high idle,40T,60T,80T,80eco. and 120.
AutoMeter Ultralite Guages, Pyro, Boost and Trans.
BT73L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Evans coolant uses no pressure; so it might hold with JB weld. That might be worth a try. It could save you a lot of money if it works.
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Some reading here: Welding on an Engine Block? - Binder Bulletin Forums

I had a taped episode of muscle car where they had been restoring the last Corvette Sting Ray (67?) and the transport company had dropped the block (matching numbers!!). Anyhow, some specialty welding place was going to fix it up. Didn't get to see who/how as it was next episode. So I guess you can weld it somehow. That block had a huge ear busted right off.

Cast Iron Welding
MIG Welding Cast Iron

Otherwise get a dremel and grind a small trough, clean with brakekleen in the trough/crack and all around. Then stuff it with JB weld.

Friend of mine fixed an oil leak from a small crack in his Toyota 4x4 engine block that way years ago.

You might have to remove the frost plug/drain coolant before repairing it, then put a new frost plug in.

I'd give that a shot first before spending thousands.
2001 F250 4x4 crew lariat 7.3L auto, DP Tuner F5 no-start/valet/20tow/80econo/140aggressive, NAPC 450series trans w/billet triple disc TC, ISSPRO egt/boost/pyro, foil delete, 6" stainless tip, Magnaflow 17979 4" turbo-back, dieselsite boots & coolant filter kit, HX crossover, boost fooler, 6.0L trans cooler, ported turbo housing, DIY 6637 Tymar, billet grill, line-x bedliner, bug deflector, tint, 08' alum diff cover, clear corners & tails, silverstar bulbs, 2000w inverter, Tekonsha Primus, 220A HD alternator, etc.

2009 VW Jetta 2.0TDI 6spd Highline full load except nav. 19" Audi RS6 rims. REVO tuned. AS7609 navi head unit 7" touch, Custom fiberglass box MD Sound 12" & Boss NXD5500 amp. Tint is next.

Last edited by westvandude; 02-05-2008 at 05:51 PM.
westvandude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (175)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandude View Post
Otherwise get a dremel and grind a small trough, clean with brakekleen in the trough/crack and all around. Then stuff it with JB weld.
Good suggestion, although drilling a hole thru the end of the crack (assuming you can find it) is extra insurance against the crack growing. If one end goes thru the freeze plug, then it isn't going to grow that direction, but the other way might.

Quote:
You might have to remove the frost plug/drain coolant before repairing it, then put a new frost plug in.
Another good idea, even if you don't have to it. Run the JB Weld in the frost plug hole as well, then dress it up to receive the new frost plug.

Quote:
I'd give that a shot first before spending thousands.
I agree.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

You might be able to try the metal stitching like the do for the Cummins 53 block. It takes some time, but it's not too hard. Just make sure you get on both sides of the crack or it will just keep growing.
Jason
Old 02-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Feeling Sick

You know that feeling you had in your young drinking days when you've had to much to drink and the room starts spinning then you hold your hand over your mouth to hold everything in until you can get outside or to the toilet ?

I've still got that feeling. Even buying a new pack of JB didn't slow it down.

I'll be pulling a 5th wheel camper this summer from Ga to Florida and other places, and the thought of the engine blowing apart like a yard sale on the side of the road is ........ well you know.

I did look up Jasper engines , looks like a short block from them would be in the $4400 range with a warranty. that still makes me sick but a little better.

The JB and the Evans ,, I'll try it first.
pmccook1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

A couple of the members in FTE had the same crack at the same place. They tried JB weld and other topical products. I believe they both ended up replacing their engines.
PayToPlay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

When I had a cracked block (overuse of block heater on an old 6.9) years ago, I was told the only way to properly weld it was to dismantle the entire block, heat up the block to about 600 F., then weld it and allow it to cool. Then rebore, etc. the block. Ended up getting a used motor and having it rebuilt.
Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, CCV Canister Style Mod, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, Hella 80/100s, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny, 26 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.
losfinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

there sure a lot of people takinn their trucks in to stealerships to do the cps recall and writtinn in to complain about them findinn stuff to fix? i think ill do my own. never goinn to take it there.
2002 f350 crew cab short box 3inch tuff country level kit 315 toyo mudd terrains on 8 inch nitto rims afe stage11 intake with pre filter window tint leer canopy auto meter quages . 4 inch mbrp exhaust. superchips 1805 tuner. towinn our 2004 27 ts komfort tt.

http://community.webshots.com/user/rws444psd
rws444psd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Buy a used low mileage motor before you buy a Jasper. I have done some unbelievable fixes with JB weld. A friend of mine broke a ring in his car. I dropped the pan, pulled the piston out, honed the cylinder, filled the gouge with JB weld. Let it sit overnight, rehoned it. replaced the rings. buttonned it back up. He drove it for another hundred thousand. I held my breath for the first 25K. When he sold it, it was using less than a half quart between oil changes.

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
arisley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

I haven't tried JB weld on the internal parts of an engine, but we build truck engines, mainly CAT and I have used a product called Devcon. We repair the lower recievers and counterbores with it and haven't had any problems. It's like liquid steel, it grinds like steel when it's dry too....good luck....
Power elbow and wastegate. Autometer guages.
5" Straight exhaust built from chrome truck stacks,with MBRP over the diff. Transgo Tugger shift kit w/ Banks Transcommand. AFE Stg II Intake.
Speerco intercooler........

DieselXXX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.