CAC Tube Drooling Oil - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr. Snow
CAC Tube Drooling Oil

My passenger side cac tub seems to be drooling quite a bit of oil by the y manifold. Not sure if this is a sign of my turbo going or something else. I had adout a quarter cup of oil on top of the manifold today. I have never modded my crankcase vent. It is still stock. Thinking of doing it now to see if the oil is coming form a seal in the turbo. Any ideas would be apprecieated.
Early 1999 F-250 SuperDuty 7.3 Liter 6 Speed Manual Trans, AIS Air filter, MBRP Exhaust, Powerslot rotors with Hawk pads, Luk Clutch with double roller bearing pilot bearing modification. DT444E Water Pump with Filter.
Dr. Snow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Turbo seal would mean oil out of the exhaust.

There are three rail plugs on the high pressure oil rail (front middle and rear of rail), they have O-rings that could be leaking.

Check your wiring harness: Chaffed wiring at driver's valve cover.

Keep everyone (and yourself) updated:7.3 mileage and repair thread

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
ReefBlue is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yah, I replaced those tonight. they've been sitting on my desk for a month because i saw some seepage. I cleaned everything up and took it to the engine wash. Drove about half an hour and had oil dripping from the CAC boot on the pass side. The clamp is tight and i just cleaned the pipes and boots this summer. I keep the engine pretty spotless! I hate working on grease pits. I used to work on old LMC snow cats with tons of hydraulics. The frames where covered in oil when i started. Fixing the steam jenny was a priority!
Early 1999 F-250 SuperDuty 7.3 Liter 6 Speed Manual Trans, AIS Air filter, MBRP Exhaust, Powerslot rotors with Hawk pads, Luk Clutch with double roller bearing pilot bearing modification. DT444E Water Pump with Filter.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Then you'll need the boots from dieselsite.com. they don't leak at all

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do you suspect a more-than-usual amount of oil in the tubes?

Check your air filter, if it is excessively dirty, it will cause excessive oil in the intake tubes. If you inspect the compressor side of the turbo and find excessive oil on both sides(inlet and outlet of compressor), the problem is likely a clogged air filter allowing oil to be sucked into intake. If there is oil only on the compressor outlet, then your turbo seal is leaking.

Last edited by 91diesel; 11-30-2013 at 10:20 PM.
91diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

I got my boots from riffraff. I am very happy with them, no leaks or oil/dust residue.
2003 7.3 F-350 XLT 2WD CC, 252,000K,4" Back~ 6" S.S. Miter Stack, International bellowed up pipes, K&N Intake W/Riffraff6637 Filter, Stage 1 Injectors, PHP chip W/GearHead Tunes, Riffraff Plenum inserts, Big Head Act, WW1, Riffraff IC and plenum boots, Powder Coated Blue IC Tubes, Pricol Optix- Pyro,Boost,Trans , Hutch and Harpoon mod, Baldwin pre-filter,Rear Shackles,Custom Mirror CB Antenna Mount,Custom box 12s behind rear seat,Kicker,Bluray,HDTV's

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
Samuel Adams
jpciron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
NYB

My Photos: (7)
Only the passenger side is seeping? Not the driver's side at all? Hmmm...
Old 12-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

If the boots themselves aren't leaking, then you're getting oil between the manifold and the boot coming out--are they tight? I think they're too thick to have been sliced through by mistake.

Is the plenum bent from being overtightened? When I replaced my manifold boots, I got the riff-raff plenum reinforcements to make sure I could gorilla them down without an issue.

Unless your EBPV is spraying oil and it just looks like the boot leaking. Not much else in that area to leak.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Pulled intake on turbo this am. Everything looks okay. I think I just have a little bit of an over abundance of oil in my intercooler. I'm gonna run it up the highway later today for a service call. With everything clean in the valley I should be able to see what is leaking. I don't think it is the ebpv. I replaced it all last November. While doing the clutch and up pipes. And the oil that was in the valley was right under the y,
Not back to the ebpv valve. The ebpv has been working hard already this year. It was 6* at my house yesterday.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
It would be unusual for only the passenger side CAC tube boot to be leaking as it's downstream of the intercooler. The oil would have to get all the way thru the intercooler for it to wind up there.

A short run after cleaning it up is a good idea. Check the HPOP hose connection on that side as well as the oil gallery plugs. It may be an o-ring rather than the CAC tube boot.

Took a run up the valley yesterday and the thermometer on the wife's Escape said minus 18 at one point. :brrr: The truck has been resting in the driveway since Wed eve. Had a heat wave this morning at 1F.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Klhansen,
That's fricken cold..
2003 7.3 F-350 XLT 2WD CC, 252,000K,4" Back~ 6" S.S. Miter Stack, International bellowed up pipes, K&N Intake W/Riffraff6637 Filter, Stage 1 Injectors, PHP chip W/GearHead Tunes, Riffraff Plenum inserts, Big Head Act, WW1, Riffraff IC and plenum boots, Powder Coated Blue IC Tubes, Pricol Optix- Pyro,Boost,Trans , Hutch and Harpoon mod, Baldwin pre-filter,Rear Shackles,Custom Mirror CB Antenna Mount,Custom box 12s behind rear seat,Kicker,Bluray,HDTV's

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
Samuel Adams
jpciron is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

Took a forty minute drive. About halfway I stopped and checked and that boot was dripping. Not as bad as I believed but dripping non the less. Looks like the threads on that clamp are a little gauled in one spot. I'm gonna order a couple constant torque clamps from napa tomorrow. I'll clean it up and hair net it and see what it does.

I love winter but I hate it when it's that cold!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
RT

CAC Tube Drooling Oil-imageuploadedbyautoguide1385951419.521025.jpg

Kevin's other ride is down...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.