Can't hear the turbo? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can't hear the turbo?

I just picked up a 2000 F250 7.3 with 192,000 miles. this is my first PSD, but I've driven many diesels in the past. I have a few questions.

I cant hear or feel the turbo. Is this normal?

First tank of fuel I got 14.4 mpg in the mountains, with no load, at high elevations, 6000ft+. Does that sound about right?

The truck accelerates okay, but I expected more. It feels fairly sluggish. Is this normal?

I suspect the turbo is not working at it's full potential, or at all. Today I pulled and cleaned the EBP sensor and tube. No change. Next I pulled the plug on the EBPV. No change. Tomorrow I'll replace the EPBS, and see if that helps. If it doesn't help I'll try pedestal O-rings, and do a leak test.

Am I on the right track diagnosing the/any issue? Anything else to consider, or is my truck performing just fine?

Last edited by Hoovail; 11-11-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Hoovail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
The way to check out the turbo is to put a boost gauge on it. Your ear isn't that good a tool. If you're expecting to hear it whine like some trucks, a stock 7.3L won't do that.

You should also take off the intake and check to see if the turbo spins freely and has no end play in the shaft.

If you pulled the plug on the EBP sensor, and nothing changed, I wouldn't investigate that much farther on that system, other than to confirm that the EBPV isn't stuck. The crank on the valve shaft should be turned as far as it can go toward the actuator for the valve to be fully open.

Your mileage isn't that far off, expecially if you only checked one tankfull.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

∆∆

I forgot to mention I did pull the intake, and checked the turbo. Seems to be fine.

I pulled the plug on the valve, not the sensor. Should I try the sensor plug?

Do I need to pull the rod from the actuator before turning the crank? I briefly looked into it today, but it was a tight squeeze so I abandoned mission.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mine make very little noise as well but I can feel the turbo about 1800-2000 rpm. I need a boost gauge as well. I have the Ford AIS air filter and that quiets things down more yet. I have the overpriced but great sounding 4 inch Banks monster exhaust from turbo back and a unknown (came with truck) chip. I almost bit the bullet and purchased the Garrett GTP 38R ball bearing turbo for the whine and faster spool up but I have finally learned that if "it aint broke dont fix it" is solid advice. The truck has 109k on the odometer and the factory turbo should have many years left. That said, If I develop a pedestal oil leak or a EPBV issue. off comes the factory turbo and on goes a GTP 38R.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Like Kevin said, get a boost gauge. I would also check the IC boots for leaking. Other than that, if you are looking at making it into a nascar truck, look into getting a chip
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
tinman13kup is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

yes check the rubber connector boots on the shiny pipes. Grab a 7/16th socket I think. Put some spin on the clamps.

1 on each side of the radiator, to uptop at the H pipe. Especialy the last 2 under the H pipe. Be careful not to overtightn these on the bottom.

Do make sure they are very snug. These are the plenum boots. Some have bent the plenums over tightening, but you can snug quite a bit.

Someone can hit the throttle while you check the turbo movement for a short time without intake on. Mine has small whistle out exhaust at idle.

Same miles as you but no cat on exhaust. Find another Superduty to drive and compare or get a shop to drive it also.

I tightened my boots and it helped tons. Plan to take off and replace soon.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman13kup View Post
if you are looking at making it into a nascar truck, look into getting a chip

Not looking to any performance mods, I'm just trying to figure out what is normal for my truck, and what i should expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenspost View Post
yes check the rubber connector boots on the shiny pipes. Grab a 7/16th socket I think. Put some spin on the clamps.

1 on each side of the radiator, to uptop at the H pipe. Especialy the last 2 under the H pipe. Be careful not to overtightn these on the bottom.

Do make sure they are very snug. These are the plenum boots. Some have bent the plenums over tightening, but you can snug quite a bit.
Tightened them all today, no change

Quote:
Someone can hit the throttle while you check the turbo movement for a short time without intake on. Mine has small whistle out exhaust at idle.
I'll try that

Quote:
Same miles as you but no cat on exhaust. Find another Superduty to drive and compare or get a shop to drive it also.
I definitely need to drive another to see what it feels like. Thank you
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Today I did a leak test. It definitely leaks pressure. found a small leak at the wastegate actuator line and fixed it. The system still leaks a bit. should it be totally airtight? I sprayed 2 bottles of soapy water everywhere and can't find a thing. Is there a hidden leaky spot I should know of.

I also did the foil delete mod. I still do not hear the turbo.

A boost gauge is definitely in my future.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
yeah you wont hear the turbo with the stock airbox....i went to a diy tymar set up...with 4 1/8 aluminum pipe,i can hear my turbo now
red elc good for 150k
4r100 1-2 2-3 3-4sonnax accumulator valves,.427 sonnax line pressure mod valve
4.125"yes thats 4 1/8" diy tymar intake(size matters...lol)
AIH delete,ccv delete,zoodad mod,
4" exhaust no muff
built my own leafs for 4.0 of lift!!!!!!
18" xd bronze revolvers with 325 nittos to wrap them
isspro pyro and boost guages on pillar mount....
tattoocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

What I mean by intake is remove all the plumbing from the filter box to turbo. See if the impellar spins by hand.

If the environment air is clean fire up the truck and see if it spins. Put a brick on the accelerator if by yourself.

Put the E Brake on of course. Lol
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.