carrier bearing / center bearing squealing got any ideas - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2005, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
carrier bearing / center bearing squealing got any ideas

I first when I heard this squeaking/squealing sound I thought it was a front hub bearing and after I had to put everything up on stands and actually get the drivetrain running I was able to trace it back to the carrier bearing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ***? I figure I have to pull it and see if the drive shaft is chewed up since I have no experience w/ it.
Anyone have experience w/ this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2005, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Re: carrier bearing / center bearing squealing got any ideas

i had that squeak too ... replaced the carrier bearing and all is well

thomas

<font color="orange">'02 F250 XLT CC PSD 4WD</font> <font color="navy">3.73ls VDH2 oxford white/silver metallic, DP-Tuner 4 pos.(40, 70, 100, 125), FTVB, AIS, WD Turbo Brake III, 4" Magna-Flow turbo-back exhaust, wicked wheel, 3 guage A-pillar pod w/ Di-pricol white-face guages, ITP fuel system, after market leather seats (two tone), Super-Liner, "chromed" emblems, CCV mod., BFG AT 295/75-16 on 16 x 10 Ultra Type 50/51 wheels, Rancho RSX, Amsoil bumper-to-bumper, PopUp GN hitch, GOS harness & SilverStars </font>

'04 F250CC Lariat PSD FX4 white/silver, Putco stainless toolbox, stock!!!

<font color="red"> Immokalee Regional Raceway </font> <font color="green"> '57 Cushman Eagle </font>
AllStarPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2005, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

thomas

I noticed it some time ago and it appeared intermitant however I have no idea how long it had actually been doing this. i just happened to have the windows down and the radio off. Should I be prepared to have any drive shaft work done. Also, any difficulties in the job? Thanks for the input.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

first off, before you remove any of the drive shaft mark all the pieces so you can put it back just as it came off. while i had mine apart i went ahead and replaced all the u-joints (get the kind with grease fittings). i wish i had gotten my driveshaft assy. balanced while i had it off the truck. not that i noticed a vibration, but just for peace of mind.

thomas

<font color="orange">'02 F250 XLT CC PSD 4WD</font> <font color="navy">3.73ls VDH2 oxford white/silver metallic, DP-Tuner 4 pos.(40, 70, 100, 125), FTVB, AIS, WD Turbo Brake III, 4" Magna-Flow turbo-back exhaust, wicked wheel, 3 guage A-pillar pod w/ Di-pricol white-face guages, ITP fuel system, after market leather seats (two tone), Super-Liner, "chromed" emblems, CCV mod., BFG AT 295/75-16 on 16 x 10 Ultra Type 50/51 wheels, Rancho RSX, Amsoil bumper-to-bumper, PopUp GN hitch, GOS harness & SilverStars </font>

'04 F250CC Lariat PSD FX4 white/silver, Putco stainless toolbox, stock!!!

<font color="red"> Immokalee Regional Raceway </font> <font color="green"> '57 Cushman Eagle </font>
AllStarPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2005, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

This is the TSB for your problem:

Article No. 03-22-2

NOISE - DRIVESHAFT CENTER BEARING NOISE - VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 6/1/2002
DRIVESHAFT - DRIVESHAFT CENTER BEARING NOISE - VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 6/1/2002

Publication Date: October 17, 2003

FORD: 2002-2003 F SUPER DUTY

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2003 Super Duty F-Series vehicles built after 06/01/2002, with a multi-piece driveshaft may exhibit a squeaking and/or squealing noise from the center bearing while driving. This noise is produced when the bearing seal rotates in the bearing outer race.

ACTION:
To service, replace the center bearing. Use a center bearing assembly with a white paint dot (built after 6/9/2003). Determine the style of the driveshaft per (Figure 1) and (Figure 2), then follow the appropriate Service Procedure below.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE: WHENEVER DRIVESHAFT REMOVAL IS NECESSARY, IT IS IMPORTANT TO PAINT MARK THE DRIVESHAFT TO THE TRANSMISSION (OR TRANSFER CASE) AND THE REAR AXLE. ADDITIONALLY, MARK A PAINT LINE THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE MULTI-PIECE DRIVESHAFT ASSEMBLY. THIS IS ESSENTIAL TO INSURE THE DRIVESHAFTS ARE REASSEMBLED IN THE SAME ORIENTATION AS ORIGINAL. FAILURE TO REASSEMBLE THE DRIVESHAFT IN ITS ORIGINAL ORIENTATION MAY RESULT IN AN UNBALANCED DRIVESHAFT CONDITION.

F81Z-4800-FA
F81Z-4819-AA
E4Hz-4A254-B
F81Z-4N272-AA.
'02 F-350, auto, 4wd, 4:10, CC, DRW, LWB, Lariat, ISSPRO x 5, MBRP 4" SS, AIC, AIS, DTLS, BriteBox, Red-Head steering gear box, coolant bypass, 203 t-stat, 6.0 cooler, 120k... mostly stock but strong, pulls and hauls whatever I ask!!!
Fastcolts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2005, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

I just picked up my truck from having the carrier bearing replaced. The bad news it was not covered under warranty. When I bought the truck I was told from the fan to the differential was covered by a 100,000 mile warranty. Now the dealer says only specific parts are covered. The carrier bearing is not one of the parts. The fact that there is a TSB makes me wonder if they purposefully excluded this part from the warranty.

BS like this does not build customer loyalty. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info on this. All the local stealers refuse to cover most anything on these after 36K. If I could work w/ the dealer out of SA where I picked it up then so be it but thats not the case.
I ordered a new one and it's cheaper and less of a hassle than trying to get the local theives to work on it. www.parts.com I"ve ordered a few parts here before and they are always extremely helpful.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

edited to eliminate scrolling problem from long url
powerlifter405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2005, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)

[ QUOTE ]
I just picked up my truck from having the carrier bearing replaced. The bad news it was not covered under warranty. When I bought the truck I was told from the fan to the differential was covered by a 100,000 mile warranty. Now the dealer says only specific parts are covered. The carrier bearing is not one of the parts. The fact that there is a TSB makes me wonder if they purposefully excluded this part from the warranty.

BS like this does not build customer loyalty. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what you get for listening to a salesman. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Warranty is 3 yr/36k mi bumper to bumper and 5 yr/100k miles for the Engine (and a few other parts like fuel pump), no matter what the salesman says.

A good dealer would have covered it for you if you weren't too far out of your 3/36 warranty period. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Good info on the TSB guys! I'm doing mine today. Any tips on removing the old CB? I'm planning to use a cut-off wheel and "score" the bearing / race until I can split it w/o cutting / nicking the shaft.

'02, 7.3L PSD 6spd F350 4x4 DRW CC
Mods: IH Bellowed Up-pipes, 4" MBRP Turbo Back Exh, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Michelin LTX A/T2 235/85R16's and Schaeffer's Oil
Muddinf2501999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.