Changing exhaust up-pipe gaskets - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2005, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing exhaust up-pipe gaskets

I've got a leaking up-pipe on the passenger side at the turbo end. It looks like the downpipe has to come off to change the gasket, but can it be done w/o pulling the turbo?

Anyone have a link to a walkthrough on this?

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2005, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Re: Changing exhaust up-pipe gaskets

Here's how I do it.... bear in mind I'm using a hoist (which helps) but it is a 4 poster (which doesn't help). I remove the trans X member and the downpipe (you can just position to one side but it still get's in the way). Then I tilt the back end of the motor/trans down. The turbo doesn't need to come off. After that, everything is as open as it's going to get.

Tips... for the connections at the tops of the up tubes, use a fresh, good quality 10mm socket. These four bolts can be married to the siamese at the back of the turbo and have been known to break off. If this happens, the siamese can be removed by undoing the Marmon clamp - spray it with penetrating oil and it should pop off on it's own.

Do both sides at the same time... if only one is leaking, you can bet that the other will start leaking in the near future.

Replace the tubes.... they are usually grooved where the seal at the top sits. Any damage in this area will have you repeating the task way too soon for your sanity.

Replace the bolts and nuts... for the few bucks it costs, life becomes much easier.

Retorque the exhaust manifolds while your there.... these can loosen up over time.

I like to apply a thin bead of hi-temp silicon to the top seals - it's a little extra insurance and we rarely see any repeat performances.

A socket extension with the tapered square drive on the end that allows the socket to misalign with the extension can make life easier.

HTH
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks again! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I was planning to do both while I was under there, although my facilities are minimal. Is there a source for the up-pipes other than Ford? I'm assuming the gaskets are available through local parts outlets.

Anyone know what shop labor would run for this job if I decide to wuss out and not get dirty?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I get paid about 4.5 hours for this job. IIRC, yours should have the larger diameter tubes. I don't know of any aftermarket supplier but then (since I work for the dealer) we haven't looked.
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Since the local dealer is over $80/hr, I think I'll get dirty!

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2005, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I wish you good luck, this up pipe job can suck real bad at times. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
fordmastertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks again! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I was planning to do both while I was under there, although my facilities are minimal. Is there a source for the up-pipes other than Ford? I'm assuming the gaskets are available through local parts outlets.

Anyone know what shop labor would run for this job if I decide to wuss out and not get dirty?

[/ QUOTE ]

Others have posted that these gaskets will work better than the OEM gaskets: FelPro 8194 exhaust flange gasket

I think they are chevy 350 exhaust gaskets but they are supposed to have the same hole and bolt size as our OEM gaskets but the gasket material itself is slightly thicker.

Hammer

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red"> Carolina PSD club </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
TheHammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I wish you good luck, this up pipe job can suck real bad at times. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]IMO,The 95-97 are even worse ...Although Its minimal there is more clearance with the SD cab every little bit helps with this deal,I can only take so much of fight with these till the torch comes out.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]LOL!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]IMO,The 95-97 are even worse ...Although Its minimal there is more clearance with the SD cab every little bit helps with this deal,I can only take so much of fight with these till the torch comes out.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]LOL!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

I don't bother trying to unbolt anything any more, out comes the torch and I have a 2 ft long air chisel bit that I cut all the pipes out and then remove the flange bolts on the bench. I retap all the holes and replace the all the fasteners, up pipes and gaskets. I would not even attempt to do this repair unless you have access to a flame saw. I can get them done this way in a couple of hours.
FMT
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
fordmastertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you take out the exhaust manifold, which is not that hard once you take out the inner plastic fender, the up-pipes come out really easy.
I put the original $8 Ford donut, but I am not happy with it, it think it will leak again soon.
early 99 (10/98) F-350 CC LWB 6 sp 3.73; 317,000 miles (complete rebuild in my driveway at 287K after piston skirt breakdown). Lock-Right Dana 50, open sterling 10.5, Kelly AWR 255/85R16, 4" exhaust, cold air intake, Westach EGT-Boost gauge, EBPV Brake . .
alalor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2005, 12:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

OK, you guys are scaring me! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

I may just get a quote from the dealer, 'cause if it's going to be an all day cussin', fightin' mess, I'd rather pay the price and not deal with it. I've done enough driveway thrashing that I know when to cry uncle, and it's really not worth the aggravation to spend a whole day off under the truck.

Thanks again for the input!
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.