clutch pedal stuck to the floor and can't shift, any clues - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 04:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
clutch pedal stuck to the floor and can't shift, any clues

I was out of town yesteday on my way back here when the serpentine tensior pulley system seized. I limped it back to lubbock and got a replacement at B&R wrecker. BTW, when these trucks get really hot, they are incredibly quite. I stopped every ten miles or so at each little town and hosed off the radiator and it cooled a bit. I continued on and got up to about 55 or so and I got enough air moving it kept it from overheating. Anyway, point was it was quite and I was peaved since i went to checkers and got a new pulley and that one was the one that seized,

NOW.... I was pulling out of the apartment after replacing this and the clutch pedal stays on the floor and the truck stays in gear. Even if I got the pedal back in place, the tranny stayed in gear. It made for an interesting 400 miles back here to my place.

Any ideas, clutch gone? clutch fork, before I start ordering things I need to start somewhere and I haven't the tools or time right now to do it myself. I'll find a shop but I want to have my items ready to go. I'll sit and watch them and if they don't like it i'll go else where.

Help, please!!! I'm lost, i even considered just taking it to the stealer!! please show me the light [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2005, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: clutch pedal stuck to the floor and can't shift, any clues

Get a helper to push the clutch pedal and check the clutch fork to see if it moves at the bell housing. If it moves full stroke the clutch is bad. If it doesn't check the hydraulics.
slc10844 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

It's your hydraulics. If you've made it this long on the stock setup, you're pretty lucky. It's a simple removal/install and does come as a complete pre-bled unit. They do sell the individual parts, but it's a PIA to bleed them. If I remember right, it's around $130 for the setup.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (43)

I second doing the hydraulics first.

Unless it doesn't travel any more (just stays on the floor or clear up against the dash) then I would just check a little plastic snap that holds the pedal to the master cylinder push rod. It is only like an $8 part and a 30 second fix.

Just a thought [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
South Bend OFE Clutch / Diablo Sport Predator / Wicked Wheel
Home made muffler delete ending with a 5" exhaust tip
Heated & Lighted TT mirrors
Marker lights under cab and on tool box! 19 total!!
2005.5 American Spirit Horse Trailer
tgoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 10:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'll check the fork asap. The problem developed, as far as I could tell over a day or two...
The pedal would stay on the floor and I'd have to kill it to get it into neutral. I hope it's easy. The tranny it's self has been fine so far. I still want an auto inspite of it.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Exact same thing happened to me.Changed Master and slave to no avail.Removed tranny and fork.Fork was broken right at end of beef.Noticed new one had beef extended by 4".Hate to be a guinea pig for fords mistakes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree, I found a local shop who used to do some of the work on our units. He'll change the clutch for 250 or the slave for 50.
I'll take it to him this week and see what the problem is, hope it is simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.