Code P1248 bad Map sensor? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Code P1248 bad Map sensor?

Hey guys I've got P1248 and have checked MAP sensor connection and hose. I've got a boost gauge, but that looks OK as well. I do get boost on the boost gauge. Anybody know how to check the MAP sensor? Is it just a switch that closes when it detects pressure? Thanks
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had a P1248 a few weeks ago in -35degC weather. Lots of exhaust leaking out donuts at merged collector right before the turbo. Put in new IH up-pipes from SinisterDiesel. Problem solved.

May not be bad sensor but boost leaks. Check your boots, up-pipes for soot, etc.

It will throw the code if the pcm is adding a certain amount of fuel and you don't get boost within set range.

I think I posted up a thread with pics on doing the up-pipes if you search the forums.
2001 F250 4x4 crew lariat 7.3L auto, DP Tuner F5 no-start/valet/20tow/80econo/140aggressive, NAPC 450series trans w/billet triple disc TC, ISSPRO egt/boost/pyro, foil delete, 6" stainless tip, Magnaflow 17979 4" turbo-back, dieselsite boots & coolant filter kit, HX crossover, boost fooler, 6.0L trans cooler, ported turbo housing, DIY 6637 Tymar, billet grill, line-x bedliner, bug deflector, tint, 08' alum diff cover, clear corners & tails, silverstar bulbs, 2000w inverter, Tekonsha Primus, 220A HD alternator, etc.

2009 VW Jetta 2.0TDI 6spd Highline full load except nav. 19" Audi RS6 rims. REVO tuned. AS7609 navi head unit 7" touch, Custom fiberglass box MD Sound 12" & Boss NXD5500 amp. Tint is next.
westvandude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandude View Post
I had a P1248 a few weeks ago in -35degC weather. Lots of exhaust leaking out donuts at merged collector right before the turbo. Put in new IH up-pipes from SinisterDiesel. Problem solved.

May not be bad sensor but boost leaks. Check your boots, up-pipes for soot, etc.

It will throw the code if the pcm is adding a certain amount of fuel and you don't get boost within set range.

I think I posted up a thread with pics on doing the up-pipes if you search the forums.
Up-pipes and boots look pretty good. Not much soot. But, it has been cold here as well, got light when it was down well below zero temps. When I did a search for the code, others mention getting the code when it is cold out, which doesn't really make much sense. I also live at 6000 ft elevation, my truck only makes about 13 psi boost pressure, but it has always done that. Just thought that was what I got for living at this altitude.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

What sort of boost do you get at sea level? 13lbs sounds low even for a stock truck. Should be about 17lbs.

With dp tuner hit 25lbs max.

A cheap code reader can erase the code. Have you got one, can pick one up under $50 if u look around.

Any soot means exhaust leaks. When I unbolted my up-pipes from the exhaust manifolds they literally just fell off/down so those sealing donuts weren't doing anything!
2001 F250 4x4 crew lariat 7.3L auto, DP Tuner F5 no-start/valet/20tow/80econo/140aggressive, NAPC 450series trans w/billet triple disc TC, ISSPRO egt/boost/pyro, foil delete, 6" stainless tip, Magnaflow 17979 4" turbo-back, dieselsite boots & coolant filter kit, HX crossover, boost fooler, 6.0L trans cooler, ported turbo housing, DIY 6637 Tymar, billet grill, line-x bedliner, bug deflector, tint, 08' alum diff cover, clear corners & tails, silverstar bulbs, 2000w inverter, Tekonsha Primus, 220A HD alternator, etc.

2009 VW Jetta 2.0TDI 6spd Highline full load except nav. 19" Audi RS6 rims. REVO tuned. AS7609 navi head unit 7" touch, Custom fiberglass box MD Sound 12" & Boss NXD5500 amp. Tint is next.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just trying to think the last time I was "down the hill" (sea level). Can't remember! I can see some (not much) soot on the passenger side up pipe near the Y collector, so maybe this is a problem. I just ordered the boost tester from Dieselsite. Doesn't high EGT's go along with boost leaks? I towed 8K over the Sierras (thru Lassen Park, 89 degrees and 8000ft plus elevation) last September (boost pressure was the same then) and the truck did well, at no time did I get over 1200 EGT. I had the code erased today at a diesel shop, but it came back on the way home.
Until I get the boost tester, I think I have to check the MAP sensor somehow, or also look at the EBPV. Can an EBPV stick closed?
Thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandude View Post

Westvandude, you are right. This morning it was 30 degrees out, so when I started the truck it went into high idle. With the engine running at high idle and the hood open, I could HEAR the boost leak out of the passenger side up-pipe, and that's where I see the soot. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

If it's not the main cause of the boost leak code it's definitely a contributor so replacing the up-pipes with the IH (international harvester) units is a good idea. I believe I got mine from Sinister Diesel.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack05 View Post
Westvandude, you are right. This morning it was 30 degrees out, so when I started the truck it went into high idle. With the engine running at high idle and the hood open, I could HEAR the boost leak out of the passenger side up-pipe, and that's where I see the soot. Thanks for your help.

You're not going to hear a boost leak at idle. Sounds like your are hearing the ebpv operate. There is a flap on the exhaust side of the turbo that closes to aid in warming up. It will make a whooshing sound. If you have soot probably a good idea to replace the up pipes.
2000 7.3 powerstroke. PHP 6 position chip (stock,high idle,60tow,80dd,100hp,no start) . 6637 riffraff filter kit . AIH delete. Oil crossover. 6.0 tranny cooler. In tank mods. Wicked Wheel. EBPV delete. Walker 21470 muffler. Riffraff FRX

Last edited by tbpower; 01-23-2011 at 10:45 PM.
tbpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

You're probably correct, EBPV when actuated has a hissing sound under hood and if you listen to the exhaust (with the 4" magnaflow anyway).

Next time the truck is stone cold and it's real cold out have your GF or wife or friend start the truck while you get a good flashlight on that soot area of your up-pipes. If it's real bad like mine was you'll actually see smoke under the truck just behind the front wheels. It gets slightly worse when EBPV engages as there's more resistance for the exhaust flow through the turbo so even more leaks at the pipes.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok, I think I said that wrong. I am not hearing a boost leak but an exhaust leak coming out of the up-pipe. Please correct me if I am wrong but when the engine is at high idle and the EBPV is closed, the exhaust pressure is leaking out of the up-pipe and that is what I am hearing. With no up-pipe leaks the excess pressure would be "pushed" out the tailpipe. I did the cold start you recommended (with my wife starting truck). I also went to my neighbors who has a 7.3, and did a cold start on his truck this morning. I could not hear the noise nearly as bad in the engine compartment on his truck but more noise (whooshing sound) out the back of the truck.
I do plan on replacing the up-pipes, just trying to understand what is going on.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

I lost power in my truck and had it plugged in and the Code P1248 came up, what is the Needle Lift Sensor and where or how do I replace it?
Vareck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Never heard of a "needle lift" sensor. Must be a real generic code reader?

1248 code is basically a boost leak so check the entire exhaust system between motor and turbo. Check intercooler boots and related for leaks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.